Oddball, My Little Fighter.

Ratzy

Apr 7, 2010
Media
Hamilton, Victoria, Australia
Parrots
See siggie :)
Oddball was a deformed little silkie, who I posted about. Today she lost her battle.

Here's a poem for you, Oddball.

Even when I first saw you, I knew that you were special
Though you were just a li'l chick, and I, just a girl
Deformed feet and scratchy wings, I saw through that all
I saw your little pom pom crest, your coat white as pearl

You were mine, and I was yours
I helped you get your confidence, I held you through the storm
I helped you pass the chicken laws
I held you, kept you warm

One day I found you on your side
Your dreams left behind
You couldn't move your legs at all, they were scattered wide
I made you a sling, to hold you up, one of a kind

As days passed, I hoped you'd be well
But you did the opposite, and just got worse
Until today, you'd fought, just swell
As I saw you for the last time, it seemed like a curse.

RIP Oddball

I picked her body up, and whispered for her to dream. To dream of a sweet meadow, with chickens of every breed and size. With roosters, eggs, chicks and hens, great laying housed with straw that was always fresh. To dream of great food, clean water everyday. To dream of a place where she could become a mother, where no deformities existed.
RIP my little one.

I'm not glad she died, I am glad she didn't have to suffer too long. She had internal bleeding, paralyzed legs, and head trauma.

Last edited:

JawzX

Aug 22, 2010
Media
Vermont
Parrots
8 year-old second-hand Alexandrine Parakeet Buddy (aka Baby, aka Ms. Prissy Beak)
sorry to hear she didn't make it Ratzy... I had chickens for many years and know what great birds they can be. That's a lovely poem and I hope Oddball's dreams are as wonderful as your wishes and the care you give all your birds.

Pheonix Rising

Oct 9, 2010
New Zealand
Parrots
Pheonix-Alexandrine parrot
1 September 2010
mikki- barrarand x king parrot
21yrs young ;)
:( o ratzy that's no good I hope your doing ok and I know oddball will be watching you from that special place and thanking you for all the wonderful things you gave her in her life and the chances you offered her thru her life

I know when you in many many years to come desend on gods good door that oddball will be there waiting to guide you in thru heavens doors

nofearengineer

Sep 8, 2010
Parrots
Gandalf - CAG (1997-2010) R.I.P. my baby boy.
Bitty - CAG (2 yrs old? and working on spoiling her rotten)
Ratzy, I'm sorry to hear you lost one of your babies.

Just try to keep in kind that you gave her a far, far kinder and gentler life than she would have had in nature, with her deformities. I think that is pretty special.

OP
Ratzy

Ratzy

Apr 7, 2010
Media
Hamilton, Victoria, Australia
Parrots
See siggie :)
I'm mad with her breeder, her deformities were genetic. The women sold us three chicks, one that died early on, and Oddball with her deformities.
I buried her today. She looked like she was just sleeping.

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
I am sorry Ratzy.
consoling2.gif

Oddball is in a special place where she has no deformities, she knows no pain and only remember the warm love that you gave her.

Ecclipse

Oct 24, 2009
Southern Africa
Parrots
RIP Hugo (African Brown Headed Parrot) 2 years old, lil Rosie May (Lovebird)
My sympathies, thoughts and prayers are with you Ratzy....your an amazing guardian and I have no doubt that Oddball had an amazing life with you :) RIP Oddball!!!!

scarperchick

Oct 25, 2010
chesterfield
Parrots
green ringneck- baby, also 2 yorkies- benny n ollie, 3 turtles- shelldon,tiny and didi and a rabbit- george and a budgie - sunny
awwww ratzy im sooo very sorry. im sure u made her time on earth a lovely one n took great care of her ... she is in a better place now n i know she will be watchin over u thankin you for wht u av done for her... be happy with tht knowledge... blessed be

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Ratzy you are so special and such a caring person, we can all learn from you.
Oddball, had a life of luxury and happiness with you, you can be so proud of yourself
Oddball, was blessed to have such a wonderful guardian.
Sad story and ending, Oddball is now resting and at peace, never having to suffer again.
R.I.P. Oddball

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Oh I am so so sorry. Sometimes our little feathered treasures have a very short life. I would be mad at the breeder also if this person is knowingly breeding deformities.

Most Reactions