One of my favorite photos of Sally!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)

She blends into the tree, and becomes one with it. That is a big old birdie smile. Pure contentment if you ask me!

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
That is a great pic. How long did she get to hang out in the tree?

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I try and get them all outside in a tree for an hour or two every night. (The macaws prefer a lap to a tree, but the rest of the birds play in the tree.)

Sally has special tree privileges... she gets tree time for about as long as she wants. She's been out in the tree for as long as 8-9 hours at a time. When she feels like coming down she calls me, even if I'm inside. When I tell her it's time to come in, I call her and she comes down.

Phlox

Jun 16, 2014
That's some powerful recall training. How do you get a bird to that point? (not that I'm real likely to try, too many hawks around here but I'm totally amazed.) Is it a matter of bonding or a matter of training?

I'd really love to hear more about it.

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
It's both.

My reputation down at the rescue was "somewhat" made because of my work with this bird... This was a bird that was due to be destroyed because she was vicious and unable to be handled. She was badly abused by a former owner, and had a panic disorder, and would attack with intent to maim...

She was a five hour per day, seven day per week project for about four months. INTENSE rehab and training. But I was pretty determined to prove my point... and along the way, I got a bird that was super bonded, that there is no way I could ever part with. (I actually took her on as a foster bird, thinking I wasn't going to keep her. Just prove my point that she wasn't past the point of no return. Get her tame, and find her a new home.)

It's part bond, and part training. She is recalled. She is startled trained. She is stay put trained. She is out and about trained. She is car seat trained. She is bite pressure trained. She is socialized around other birds, dogs, and cats. She knows a couple of tricks, but really didn't have the temperment for it, so she knows bowling, and plays catch, and does a couple of other things (wooden puzzles and such) but that's about it.

But I would say the bond is the bigger component.

She is also my flock leader. She mother hens the other birds, and keeps them in line.

She's a very special bird!

Last edited:

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
That is a gorgeous picture :)

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Where is she? Is that just a red flower or a brilliantly camouflaged parrot in that tree;) I think it's wonderful your birds get to hang out in real trees. We've tried setting Kiwi in (small) trees before, but he gets all indignant like "what is this filthy thing your setting me on". He is definitely a diva bird:p. He does love grass (Though I do not. He used to run in the "no animals allowed" gated courtyard at out old apartment complex. When we have a backyard with a fence and I can be sure no dogs have been using it as a toilet, he can run in the grass again but a public park is a no-go).

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Very cute. I love how she blends in. I think Red Loreds are so gorgeous to see in person.

4dugnlee

Apr 27, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Sassy - 13 y.o. Blue Front Amazon, Cisco - 6 y.o. Sun Conure, Peanut - 8 y.o. U2
Fred - 2(?) y.o. Cockatiel, Ginger - 3 or 4(?) y.o. Cockatiel
How beautiful! What a great thing you did for her...and I'm sure all your other birds are just as happy!

witchbaby

Feb 4, 2014
Virginia
Parrots
cinnamon turquoise gcc - luna,
pineapple gcc - drago,
galah/rose breasted cockatoo - merlin,
timneh african grey - jasper,
pied cockatiel - picasso,
blue & gold macaw - mia
Great photo! Gorgeous bird. :)

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
I say nominate her, gorgeous pic.

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Where is she? Is that just a red flower or a brilliantly camouflaged parrot in that tree;) I think it's wonderful your birds get to hang out in real trees. We've tried setting Kiwi in (small) trees before, but he gets all indignant like "what is this filthy thing your setting me on". He is definitely a diva bird:p. He does love grass (Though I do not. He used to run in the "no animals allowed" gated courtyard at out old apartment complex. When we have a backyard with a fence and I can be sure no dogs have been using it as a toilet, he can run in the grass again but a public park is a no-go).

Tusk, my CAG actually has several phrases he uses in context:

1. Wanna go outside.
2. Wanna go for a walk.
3. Wanna go in the tree.

The amazons both just not their heads at the door or the window that looks out on the tree, and make flipping gestures as if they were flying. (That's take me outside and put me in the tree.) If Sally does it, and I set her down again, she will give me an initial burst of Amazon yell... and then do the head motion, and wing flipping...

That's "apparently you didn't get the message. Wanna go outside RIGHT NOW!"

I try and get them out every day, though lately it's been triple digits, so it's been too hot.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Sally is a beautiful bird, Mark. I'm glad you "proved your point" and saved her from being put down.

You have quite a gift. Thanks for sharing.

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Sally is a beautiful bird, Mark. I'm glad you "proved your point" and saved her from being put down.

You have quite a gift. Thanks for sharing.

Trust me, so am I! This little bird and I have been through a lot together.

Most Reactions