Parrot Forums helps train dog!

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
I'm house sitting foe a friend who had knee surgery, which means walking her German Shepard dog. The dog was a rescue who had serious health issues, including heartworms. As he has recovered, he's become more rambunctious. Walking him on a leash has been a battle: he pulls and pulls. I worried that when my friend came back, he would pull her flat on her new knee, so I've been trying to get him to stop pulling. At first I would say "NO" or stop it, or easy, or don't pull, and give a slight tug to the leash to slow him down. Nothing was changing.

Then I thought, it's never the fault of the animal. He's a healthy dog with a lot of energy, and I make him walk slowly. He must want to go much faster than I can walk. OK, I figured I'd meet him halfway: I'll walk as fast as I reasonably can, and if he pulls on the leash I'll just stop walking. Since he wants to go faster, he won't want to stop. To my eternal surprise - it is working! I walked faster, and I let him put just a little pressure on the leash, but when he started to pull hard I stopped. The first five minutes, we didn't get far, must have stopped twenty times. And then it clicked for him. He quit pulling, kept the pressure fairly constant. By the end of the walk it was a total change.

I realized that asking him to walk so slowly that he didn't pull the leash was not reasonable. He wants to go faster, so he walks until he hits the end of the leash and starts pulling. The resistance was either zero (slack leash) or hard pull on his neck. When I allowed him to keep a moderate amount of pressure on the leash all the time, he was able to guage when he was pulling hard enough to generate a full stop, and he adjusted immediately. It blew my mind and made perfect sense at the same time. He even quit racing downhill, which always was bad, and now walks the same pace. He's halfway trained not to run down stairs! It was the slackness of the leash - he had no information about how far he could go until he hit the end.

I can't say that I am training him not to pull. It's more like I figured out a different way for us to interact during walks that results in him being much easier to handle. Maybe I can get him used to a slightly reduced pressure before my friend gets home, so he won't yank her around.

I would never have thought of trying something like this without the inspiration I found here, to think like the animal, see things from their point of view, think of what they want instead of what I want them to do. Thank you guys!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Thank YOU for sharing an amazing story. Always nice to hear positive reinforcement working across entire species of companions!

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
Shepherds are FULL of energy, great job with the leash training on halting a full run. Are you using voice commands too? They learn them quickly! Your friend doesn't need to fall on that new knee for sure!

We had one, Princess, and I took one in to rehome, his name was Dumb Ass (seriously, main reason why I took him, it was a red flag) and let me tell you, the people I took him from, that was their name, he was far from it's meaning. Until I found a great couple that took him, he and I did so much together, he was sooooooo smart!!! I wanted to keep him but i couldn't provide him a good home at the time. The couple I found, soldier and wife, he went right to them. He loved them, happy ending!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SilleIN

Aug 18, 2016
Denmark
Parrots
Lots of parrots, most of them rescues
OHH I wish my student were as clever as you- or wait if they were, they wouldn't need me!

I think it is SO clever that you have come up with that solution all on your own. That is exactly the method I teach my students to use, when they have a dog that pulls. Getting them into the mindset that the dog does everything for a reason, which makes sense to them. The trick is to make them understand, that it makes more sense to coorperate with us, which can be tough as they are guided by their instincts.

Good job! :)

OP
Kentuckienne

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
OHH I wish my student were as clever as you- or wait if they were, they wouldn't need me!

I think it is SO clever that you have come up with that solution all on your own. That is exactly the method I teach my students to use, when they have a dog that pulls. Getting them into the mindset that the dog does everything for a reason, which makes sense to them. The trick is to make them understand, that it makes more sense to coorperate with us, which can be tough as they are guided by their instincts.

Good job! :)

Do you train dog owners, animal owners? You always have such great instincts for understanding animal behaviors. Who ARE you, with your magic touch to charm wild birds? So impressed I am.

It has been an educational experience for me. I learned that if I allow the dog to stop and smell anything he wanted, for at least a few moments, he relaxes even more. He doesn't mind leaving an interesting smell so much because he knows he can stop at the next one. He can wander to one side of the trail to the other as much as he wants, as long as he doesn't pull the leash. If I pay attention, I can feel a lot from the leash. When he's getting ready to bolt or surge, he sort of signals it in advance and I can slow him down. I do have to do my part - walk a little faster and let him explore more. I used to think he was unmanageable, but it turns out he knows how to sit and he'll do it if there is something he wants. I started pulling treats back when he snapped for them, and he quit snapping. He's not unmanageable at all, he just needs concentrated attention and feedback.

SilleIN

Aug 18, 2016
Denmark
Parrots
Lots of parrots, most of them rescues
Do you train dog owners, animal owners? You always have such great instincts for understanding animal behaviors. Who ARE you, with your magic touch to charm wild birds? So impressed I am.

It has been an educational experience for me. I learned that if I allow the dog to stop and smell anything he wanted, for at least a few moments, he relaxes even more. He doesn't mind leaving an interesting smell so much because he knows he can stop at the next one. He can wander to one side of the trail to the other as much as he wants, as long as he doesn't pull the leash. If I pay attention, I can feel a lot from the leash. When he's getting ready to bolt or surge, he sort of signals it in advance and I can slow him down. I do have to do my part - walk a little faster and let him explore more. I used to think he was unmanageable, but it turns out he knows how to sit and he'll do it if there is something he wants. I started pulling treats back when he snapped for them, and he quit snapping. He's not unmanageable at all, he just needs concentrated attention and feedback.

Well I have a long history of training animals. I have worked as a professional rider for different riding schools and breeders. I have worked as a riding school instructor and have competed internationally in eventing. After a quite severe accident about 5 years ago, I had to stop my level of riding and have since trainied dogs and dog owners instead. I today compete in obedience tests with dogs. I train dogs in IPO (international testing for obedience), agility and regular obedience. Most of the dogs and owners I train is for the Danish Rottweiler Club. I also help people with dogs, that have become unmanageable. A bit like Cezar Milan, but on a much smaller scale :p

A small tip for the dog to stop being hard on your hands is to hide the treat in a closed hand. When he uses his teeth, the hand is clutched closed. When he licks you loosen your grip and eventually let him have the treat for licking instead of "biting/snapping", but you seem to have made that out basically on your own. You have the very first skill needed to train animals, you have a great intuition, you read the dogs signals and understand that the changes has to be gradual in order for the dog to accept the changes. You will in time be able to slow down, once your team work with the dog begomes second nature to the dog.

Again I am impressed with your work with the dog already. VERY few people figure things like that out on their own. Good job :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts