Kinny

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel
Oh my...

My normal Vet said he could do a Necropsy for $300, and recommended that in the meantime (or if we don't want a necropsy done) to give the surrounding birds some medication which is $20. He has avian medication specifically for diseases (especially those caused by wild birds). If the birds do not have a disease the medication will not harm them.

My husband refuses to spend $300 on a bird. -_- So yes, I may just get the medication..

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
How about testing the cage mates?

ShellyBorg

Apr 8, 2013
Redding, CA
Parrots
TAG Spirit,RLA Danny,Senegal Damon, Parrotlet Opal, B&G Paris
Thats to bad to hear Kinny, as breeders its always a good idea to know what as killed off your birds so investments are not lost in the future. I hope you birds are healthy and you don't lose any more.

OP
Kinny

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel

I asked my Vet if he could do that, and he said he could but doesn't think it'd help much...

Thats to bad to hear Kinny, as breeders its always a good idea to know what as killed off your birds so investments are not lost in the future. I hope you birds are healthy and you don't lose any more.

Yes it is. I'm very willing to pay $300 to get a necropsy done *waves $500 in cash around* I has the cash! But my husband refuses... He sees the birds as more of just an income on the side instead of a fun and joy-filled hobby. Dealing with him sometimes can be very annoying.

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
I asked my Vet if he could do that, and he said he could but doesn't think it'd help much...

I don't understand the reasoning? If it's a contagious disease, likely to have spread to the cage mates. If not contagious, then the cage mates are clear and you don't have to worry.

However your vet thinks that it's better to treat your entire flock with a drug to treat a "wild bird" disease when nobody even knows what is the cause of death? When it could indeed be a psittacine disease?

It is just unfortunate that you don't have an Avian Vet to help you.

OP
Kinny

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel

I don't understand the reasoning? If it's a contagious disease, likely to have spread to the cage mates. If not contagious, then the cage mates are clear and you don't have to worry.

However your vet thinks that it's better to treat your entire flock with a drug to treat a "wild bird" disease when nobody even knows what is the cause of death? When it could indeed be a psittacine disease?

Neither do I.

Mmm. Should I go to the other, more expensive vet (they are an avian vet, but they are VERY, VERY expensive), and see if they can take blood and test for Psittacine? Also.. what are some other diseases I should ask for them to test for..?

I do remember that Yuushi's tailfeathers weren't growing properly and after I had a closer look at them, each and every one was bent. Those feathers looked disgusting... Any thoughts on it possibly being Polyomavirus?

Last edited:

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots

Neither do I.

Mmm. Should I go to the other, more expensive vet (they are an avian vet, but they are VERY, VERY expensive), and see if they can take blood and test for Psittacine? Also.. what are some other diseases I should ask for them to test for..?

I do remember that Yuushi's tailfeathers weren't growing properly and after I had a closer look at them, each and every one was bent. Those feathers looked disgusting... Any thoughts on it possibly being Polyomavirus?

Polyoma affects young birds (birth-2 months) where death is then very rapid. So if your bird was older, I don't think it was that.

However, with feather development, one could think it could be PBFD. But I hope not because it would be devastating to your flock.

I would test for PBFD, chlamydia and Pacheco's.

If you want to keep the cost down, you can always do it yourself if you are comfortable with the idea. You get a free kit from a place like Avian Biotech and you take a little blood from a toe nail and a cloacal swab. Being extremely careful to disinfect you tools properly in between birds.

OP
Kinny

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel
Ok now I'm aggravated.. My husband (lets call him L) will not allow me to take the 1 Kakarikis to the vets for blood testing. We had a minor argument which was just me saying "Yes, we are taking them to the vets." To which he'd reply "No." And in the wnd he almost shouted the word no. So I told him it may be psittacine and if it is its highly contagious etc. but apparently the Kakarikis aren't worth it.. and I need his help to move them away from the others, but he won't do it so we just have lousy cardboard between them and the others *shakes head and sighs* he's willing to just treat them with the medication but he won't do anything else.. we have Eclectus too so if it spreads to them that's not only beautiful birds gone but thousands of dollars too! ARGH! He just doesn't see things the way I do. And honestly I'm tempted to sell most of our parrots (we have 20) if we can't even give them vet care. Well, its not that we can't.. but that he won't. And he won't let me use my own money for it! Argh I'm going nuts! Was gonna get the necropsy done today but L would NOT allow it (he drives, I don't.. so he drives me to places) and now its far too late. I'm so angry and stressed right now. I can't even eat...

OP
Kinny

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel

Neither do I.

Polyoma affects young birds (birth-2 months) where death is then very rapid. So if your bird was older, I don't think it was that.

However, with feather development, one could think it could be PBFD. But I hope not because it would be devastating to your flock.

I would test for PBFD, chlamydia and Pacheco's.

If you want to keep the cost down, you can always do it yourself if you are comfortable with the idea. You get a free kit from a place like Avian Biotech and you take a little blood from a toe nail and a cloacal swab. Being extremely careful to disinfect you tools properly in between birds.

Thank you for this! Yes I'm very comfortable to do it myself, I'd just prefer a vet do it.

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Can't believe they are still women living with those kinds of guys.... WOW. He is your husband or master???

I just realised that you are not in the US so you may have another lab that can provide you with test sample kits?

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Much cheaper to do it yourself in your situation. You could then at least cross out a few of the diseases. If you find a positive result, then you could have the vet retest for that particular disease and proceed accordingly.

OP
Kinny

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel
Can't believe they are still women living with those kinds of guys.... WOW. He is your husband or master???

I just realised that you are not in the US so you may have another lab that can provide you with test sample kits?

He's really a wonderful husband! There are just, bad days when he acts like he's my Master. *eye twitches irritably* he's not an animal lover. He hasn't been this bad for a LONG time, so yes, very tempted to lock him outside tonight.. -_-

Ah yes there is a place here that does my birds dna sexing, so I can see if they'll test for those things/kits etc.

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
With Avian Biotech, the testing for the 3 diseases cost $55 for 1 bird.

OP
Kinny

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel
Much cheaper to do it yourself in your situation. You could then at least cross out a few of the diseases. If you find a positive result, then you could have the vet retest for that particular disease and proceed accordingly.

Very true. Thanks :)

Ooh not bad. ^^ Sorry I'm replying so slowly, I'm on my phone.

Zazoothehahns

Apr 5, 2013
So sorry for your loss. Sorry to say,but have you told him it is your responsability as a breeder/owner to do what is morally right? Tell him If you can not do what is right and what a good breeder is obligated to do, then it is possibly time to say goodbye to the extra income the birds generate, no matter how small, and bid them fair well. When breeding, regardless of how big or small the operation, no matter what species of animal it is, there are certain aspects that make reputable, responsible breeders stand out above others. His logic does not make any sence, you could potentially be out thousands of dollars, not just $300.

OP
Kinny

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel
So sorry for your loss. Sorry to say,but have you told him it is your responsability as a breeder/owner to do what is morally right? Tell him If you can not do what is right and what a good breeder is obligated to do, then it is possibly time to say goodbye to the extra income the birds generate, no matter how small, and bid them fair well. When breeding, regardless of how big or small the operation, no matter what species of animal it is, there are certain aspects that make reputable, responsible breeders stand out above others. His logic does not make any sence, you could potentially be out thousands of dollars, not just $300.

I began to, but he cut in with his no's. Being so frustrated I just stormed off and have been a bother to be around since. Exactly! Every good breeder will spend money on animals no matter how 'cheap' whether it be toys or vets. He just doesn't get it! Will certainly talk to him about it further when I go to bed shortly.

ShellyBorg

Apr 8, 2013
Redding, CA
Parrots
TAG Spirit,RLA Danny,Senegal Damon, Parrotlet Opal, B&G Paris
I believe you just sold some baby GCC? You need to get ahold of the buyers and tell them to go to the vet. Also be prepared to give those people there moneys back and pay vet bills for those animals if they bought sick birds from you.

OP
Kinny

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel
I believe you just sold some baby GCC? You need to get ahold of the buyers and tell them to go to the vet. Also be prepared to give those people there moneys back and pay vet bills for those animals if they bought sick birds from you.

Yes I did. They were all cleared when the 1st left, however the other one only just left a few days ago. But they were inside away from all other birds. Then again I may have carried it inside... Oh gosh I hope its nit anything contagious! Will have to give the buyer a call tomorrow..

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots

Yes I did. They were all cleared when the 1st left, however the other one only just left a few days ago. But they were inside away from all other birds. Then again I may have carried it inside... Oh gosh I hope its nit anything contagious! Will have to give the buyer a call tomorrow..

That is why you really need to know what the death was from. You don't want to freak out everyone for nothing either but it is your obligation to sell healthy babies. What if they already have birds at home and bring in a sick baby that can possibly infect theirs? Hopefully they quarantine.

I breed Conures and the money generated goes right back to the birds. It goes in it's own bank account and is used for supplies, food, toys and vet bills and yes sometimes used to give money back to those who bought a baby and realize it's not going to work out.
Bird breeding is not a big profit business (if you do it ethically). They are expensive to keep and care for. And the more birds you own the more it costs you....

Last edited:

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
So sorry for your loss!! And, you are not alone with people thinking it is NUTS to pay for a necropsy or even certain diagnostics. I am regularly laughed at for this stuff. "You did an autopsy on a BIRD!!!!????" like it was the most outrageous thing any lunatic had ever done. People don't get it sometimes when they are not tuned that way. Sorry for your loss and all the stress following it. Fighting with someone you love is not an easy way to deal with the grief you already feel.

Most Reactions