Parrot is ill! Help appreciated!

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
So sorry for your loss!! And, you are not alone with people thinking it is NUTS to pay for a necropsy or even certain diagnostics. I am regularly laughed at for this stuff. "You did an autopsy on a BIRD!!!!????" like it was the most outrageous thing any lunatic had ever done. People don't get it sometimes when they are not tuned that way. Sorry for your loss and all the stress following it. Fighting with someone you love is not an easy way to deal with the grief you already feel.

When you have a pet bird/birds it is entirely up to you if you want to do a necropsy and protect your own flock. However, when you are breeding and selling babies you NEED to be VERY VIGILANT as to the health of you stock. Selling a contaminated bird (albeit without your knowledge) can get you LOADS of problems. People sue for just about anything these days and in the case of having a breeder raised baby contaminating a buyer's entire flock at home can cost you your house!

KINNY- I'm not saying that is the case for your situation! I'm hoping it was just that bird's health only that lead to his death.

OP
Kinny

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel
So sorry for your loss!! And, you are not alone with people thinking it is NUTS to pay for a necropsy or even certain diagnostics. I am regularly laughed at for this stuff. "You did an autopsy on a BIRD!!!!????" like it was the most outrageous thing any lunatic had ever done. People don't get it sometimes when they are not tuned that way. Sorry for your loss and all the stress following it. Fighting with someone you love is not an easy way to deal with the grief you already feel.

When you have a pet bird/birds it is entirely up to you if you want to do a necropsy and protect your own flock. However, when you are breeding and selling babies you NEED to be VERY VIGILANT as to the health of you stock. Selling a contaminated bird (albeit without your knowledge) can get you LOADS of problems. People sue for just about anything these days and in the case of having a breeder raised baby contaminating a buyer's entire flock at home can cost you your house!

KINNY- I'm not saying that is the case for your situation! I'm hoping it was just that bird's health only that lead to his death.

Precisely. Oh so am I! *shakes fist at husband* We have been in contact with one of the Vets here, and they know an organization who may be willing to blood test all of our birds and test for exotic diseases as well as some common ones, and they fund it. So we don't have to pay a cent (or we pay a very tiny amount) so I'm about to give them a call and equire.

Thank you ruffledfeathers, yeah it's not easy grieving for a bird and quarrelling with a 'usually' fantastic husband. >.< I slept out on the couch last night lol. It was actually really comfortable! No noise, no annoying husband. Food only a few metres away.. Was quite nice.

OP
Kinny

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel
I believe you just sold some baby GCC? You need to get ahold of the buyers and tell them to go to the vet. Also be prepared to give those people there moneys back and pay vet bills for those animals if they bought sick birds from you.

Yes I did. They were all cleared when the 1st left, however the other one only just left a few days ago. But they were inside away from all other birds. Then again I may have carried it inside... Oh gosh I hope its nit anything contagious! Will have to give the buyer a call tomorrow..

That is why you really need to know what the death was from. You don't want to freak out everyone for nothing either but it is your obligation to sell healthy babies. What if they already have birds at home and bring in a sick baby that can possibly infect theirs? Hopefully they quarantine.

I breed Conures and the money generated goes right back to the birds. It goes in it's own bank account and is used for supplies, food, toys and vet bills and yes sometimes used to give money back to those who bought a baby and realize it's not going to work out.
Bird breeding is not a big profit business (if you do it ethically). They are expensive to keep and care for. And the more birds you own the more it costs you....

Yes, agree wholeheartedly! I just wish my husband could see it. See I started breeding birds in the first place as a hobby, and because I just absolutely love caring for them and their babies, plus you get a tiny bit of money on the side (I repeat, tiny) but my husband was only interested in it if we get bigger birds that sell for more so that we get more income... -_- In fact we had a very short heated conversation with me telling him we don't just get money from them, we get a whole lot more.. companionship and more, I went on a mini rant at him. But he doesn't agree -_- I swear! Sometimes I just wanna.. *growls*

Most Reactions