Parrot keeps getting nails caught on bars

Crayfish066

Jul 21, 2017
England
Parrots
Indian Ringneck
I bought him a concrete perch at the recommendation of a user on these forums but he is still getting his nails caught on the bars of his cage. He then starts flapping his wings like crazy and
when he eventually breaks free I can see he is breathing heavily. I think he believes I am responsible because he gets angry at me whenever this happens.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
No matter the length of the nails, feet should never be getting stuck. Can you show us a picture of your setup so we can help you identify the problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Yes please do show. This is in the serious category as injury is very possible long nails or no. There shouldnt be anywhere to get nails trapped. Can you wrap the areas to stop this risk of injury for now but it could be you need to search a new cage. If this carries on you can expect to be visiting the AV sooner rather than later.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Sounds like you have a wire cage that is looped together as opposed to being welded! Every point where they intersect, is a risk for entrapment! If this is the case, it may be time to invest in a new cage ASAP!

Wanted to add, to point out the seriousness of this, if this should happen when you're not home and your baby cannot get loose, he will chew his foot off to get free!

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Ditto on the above messages. If the bird can get nails stuck somewhere, it can possibly cause the parrot to thrash around, maybe breaking a leg, maybe chewing it off and worst case even to die. Please! get a new, safe cage for your baby.

OP
C

Crayfish066

Jul 21, 2017
England
Parrots
Indian Ringneck
Yes please do show. This is in the serious category as injury is very possible long nails or no. There shouldnt be anywhere to get nails trapped. Can you wrap the areas to stop this risk of injury for now but it could be you need to search a new cage. If this carries on you can expect to be visiting the AV sooner rather than later.

His nails aren't getting trapped as in stuck in a gap, when he climbs the sides of his cage he'll occasionally get them stuck on the outside of the bars because they're slightly curved and he'll try to pull them back into the cage when in reality he needs to unhook them first.

I will post a picture soon.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.

His nails aren't getting trapped as in stuck in a gap, when he climbs the sides of his cage he'll occasionally get them stuck on the outside of the bars because they're slightly curved and he'll try to pull them back into the cage when in reality he needs to unhook them first.

If that bad then please arrange that CAV appointment to have his nails seen to before he injures himself, please? :)

Just a point are the cage bars the right size/spacing for this type of bird?

OP
C

Crayfish066

Jul 21, 2017
England
Parrots
Indian Ringneck
Here is a picture, you finally get to see my parrot too.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

If that bad then please arrange that CAV appointment to have his nails seen to before he injures himself, please? :)

Just a point are the cage bars the right size/spacing for this type of bird?

Well I got the cage from the breeder, I would like to assume it is the correct size/spacing because of this perhaps you or someone else could tell me?

I'm assuming he is getting stuck on the bars anyway because I see no other reason why he would grip onto them and fap frantically.

Last edited:

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Sorry couldnt see it :)

Is it possible that he is doing his exercises in this manner? Does he come out to fly?

Jottlebot

Aug 29, 2012
Shropshire, UK
Parrots
Orange-winged Amazon - RIP Charlie,
Spock - Common Mynah,
McCoy - Alexandrine
that cage looks absolutely fine. I couldn't see his nails sorry, but I know they can curl all the way round. I rescued a neglected Amazon where this had happened to a few of hers. She got one wrapped round a cage bar and pulled the whole thing off. She recovered, but lost the nail. As it was an emergency we clipped her other claws, but if yours are this overgrown I wouldn't suggest you do it, take him to an avian certified vet.

He could just be exercising. From your description it sounds like what my Alexandrine does. He'll hold onto the top of the cage and flap and flap and pull away from the bars, but not go anywhere because he's still holding on. He does it until he's breathless too. He gets very excited so he could appear angry/worked up. He does it when he's just been let out before he has a good fly. He's done it a few times in his cage, but there's less room for him to get a flap on. Could this be what he's doing? Does yours get much out of cage time?

OP
C

Crayfish066

Jul 21, 2017
England
Parrots
Indian Ringneck
that cage looks absolutely fine. I couldn't see his nails sorry, but I know they can curl all the way round. I rescued a neglected Amazon where this had happened to a few of hers. She got one wrapped round a cage bar and pulled the whole thing off. She recovered, but lost the nail. As it was an emergency we clipped her other claws, but if yours are this overgrown I wouldn't suggest you do it, take him to an avian certified vet.

He could just be exercising. From your description it sounds like what my Alexandrine does. He'll hold onto the top of the cage and flap and flap and pull away from the bars, but not go anywhere because he's still holding on. He does it until he's breathless too. He gets very excited so he could appear angry/worked up. He does it when he's just been let out before he has a good fly. He's done it a few times in his cage, but there's less room for him to get a flap on. Could this be what he's doing? Does yours get much out of cage time?

Well he hasn't been out his cage yet, I'm still in the process of clicker training him to reduce the risk of it being chaotic for the both of us when he's finally let out. I'll try and
take a picture of his nails but as you can probably already tell my phones camera isn't too great.

Last edited:

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Honestly the more you say the more it just sounds like he is flapping for the fun of it. Which ALL of my birds do. Are you sure he is stuck? Gripping the cage and flapping is a normal exercise for them

FlyBirdiesFly

Jul 30, 2017
Media
My birds never flap without flying:confused: I've seen some clipped birds do it when trying to fly though. Do you know the bar spacing for your cage and what the correct bar spacing for your species?

Jottlebot

Aug 29, 2012
Shropshire, UK
Parrots
Orange-winged Amazon - RIP Charlie,
Spock - Common Mynah,
McCoy - Alexandrine
Hi, if all his nails look like those in the picture you have nothing to worry about, he isn't getting his nails caught.

I would guess he is just getting rid of some energy if he isn't getting any time out of his cage.

Like I said, my Alexandrine does the same, but he holds onto the top of the cage because he's out when he does it. He's completely flighted and has never been clipped. Sounds like some birds just like to do it for fun!

Clicker training is a great idea. Are you target training too? When this is good it will help you get him back in his cage, but even before this I would let him out. You need to make sure you have time when you do in case he doesn't want to go back in. Don't feed him while he's out and he should return for food. I'm assuming you can't handle him?

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
looking at the nails and cage it strikes me as flapping for fun/exercise. Mine would do it in the morning as a little morning exercise and would often start making lots of happy squeaky noises

OP
C

Crayfish066

Jul 21, 2017
England
Parrots
Indian Ringneck
Sounds like it's just natural parrot behaviour then, I had no clue considering he is my first bird.

Thanks for the help people!

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
That's ok; that's why we are all here! Better to be worried over something normal than to ignore something you should be worried about!

Most Reactions