Parrots in California?! PLEASE ANSWER!

JadeC

Apr 27, 2013
Seattle, WA
Parrots
White bellied caique
Pit bulls are also illegal in California, but that doesn't make it right. Some laws are meant to be broken and pushed until they're revoked. I don't respect the laws against pit bulls in CA and I'm fighting to get them lifted. There are vets there that will see your Quaker without reporting you to the authorities because the law is unjust. The only destruction they do is building the nests.

baron1282

Oct 20, 2012
Sounds like you made a great move for yourself! One of the blessings we have as Americans is a huge variety of places to call home. I admit it is very expensive to live in California (and particularly in SF), but I think the rule about getting what you pay for applies. In any case, I think it's a bad idea (and not being a good citizen) for someone to decide knowingly to break the law. I would think the bird would be lost if the OP were caught with contraband.

I never told the OP to break the Law. I gave the OP the number to call to see if he/she could get an exception to her bird and be able to bring it in legally.

Also there is no Law on Pit Bulls in CA. "In fact, the California Legislature has made it illegal for California cities and counties to pass laws based on breed." (http://www.justanswer.com). Some Cities do have a law to regulate the breed, but not ban it. It's mostly to get the dogs fixed so they can't breed. Which I agree is BS being Pit Bulls are sweet dogs if brought up right. But California itself or any City does not outright BAN owners from owning a Pit Bull. Plus the show "Pit Boss" is in filmed in Los Angeles CA.

Last edited:

Mare Miller

Banned
Banned
May 14, 2011
Media
sierra foothills of central California
Parrots
13yr. old male umbrella cockatoo,
we call him Amigo!

7yr. old Goffin cockatoo, she IS Sassy!!
I think that breaking the law, especially when the law is out of order, is a good thing. I am a rebel, I will admit, but I do know what is right from wrong, Ten Commandments and all. If we follow what we believe to be a good path, (it's got to come from your quiet heart), we have a chance to do the right thing whether it be the law or not.

Last edited:

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
I also think the bird laws are stupid. Look how many bird species have been wiped off the face of the earth. Species relocation fills the gaps, and in some cases saves a species from extinction. If people are worried about a few powelines, then they need to upgrade the equipment, not outlaw a breed of parrot because the build some nests. The birds are looked at as an inconvenience to their outdated infrastructure. People need to evolve, this earth belongs to every being on it.

Mare Miller

Banned
Banned
May 14, 2011
Media
Parrots
we call him Amigo!

I'm a fighter grey78, and also irresponsible when it comes to some of the laws that I feel aren't acceptable. I am mostly a law abiding citizen but if someone told me I couldn't come to California without my loved pet, well, guess what, my loved pet will be there with me.

Mare Miller

Banned
Banned
May 14, 2011
Media
Parrots
we call him Amigo!

Yes grey, pretty much. We are in a lock down society that I have a hard time conforming to. Heck, you do what you feel is right, I have no problem with that. I will do what I feel is right.

Grenage

Jun 1, 2012
Portsmouth, UK.
Parrots
Aizen: YS-GCC
Laws are there for a reason, regardless of whether a handful of individuals find them inconvenient; they are there to balance out the varying opinions of many people. Disregarding laws when you don't like them is simply childish, arrogant hubris.

The OP has three obvious options:

A) Don't move.
B) Move, and put the bird up for adoption.
C) Break the law.

Nobody here should be recommending option C, and as for A & B - sometimes you can't have your cake and eat it, that's life.

baron1282

Oct 20, 2012
Is the OP even reading this anymore?

Sometimes Laws can be circumnavigated. If the OP would (or already has) called the number a permit might be issued and she/he can bring the bird into CA without any problems. The San Diego Zoo has many animals that I am sure are illegal to own in CA, but they were able to get permission (Plus they are a Zoo).

I am just saying there is a chance that the OP may be able to get a expectation to the rule. She might have to pay to get the permit, but if the animal is a beloved pet than it's worth it. Plus it just seems pointless now to not allow the Quaker in CA being there is already Large Flocks of the bird in San Diego and around the state. So not allowing the bird as a pet is just being cruel to pet owners.

Last edited:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
There are no wild quakers in the state of California.... at least, none that I am aware of.

Do you know what animals the San Diego Zoo has that are illegal? The rules that apply to owners don't always apply to Zoos as well, since Zoos can set up appropriate habitats for animals that most owners would not be able to provide. Zoos would also be able to keep most of these animals safe from humans just as much as keeping humans safe from these animals. (unless that is what you meant?)

shyness

Jul 10, 2012
Just drive through reno Nevada.. I have lived in ca all my life and there is no check point there... You should be fine.. I don't know about southern ca though.. But we drive up to reno almost all the time.. we live right outside of san Francisco... I would hope that with all the problems that are taking place in the state we are not wasting money of checking people's innocent pets while we are cutting our kids education funds right and left:11::11::52::11::11:

baron1282

Oct 20, 2012
There is Wild Quakers in CA according Wikipedia. :p

I guess I should have said there is already a bunch of wild parrots that live in CA that a few Monk Parrots wouldn't hurt.

Also, I said Zoo's have special permits and other things that would allow them to keep animals that normal people can not keep. Lions, Tigers, Bears Oh My! To name a few.

Last edited:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Shyness, actually, yes there is! I used to live west of the HWY 395 border (west of Reno in California) and traveled that road frequently! There is a border station! I now live on the other side of the border.

If you travel along I80 or 50 from Reno/Carson City to California, there's also border stations! Here's a map of the stations.

CDFA > Help Protect California - BORDER STATIONS - Interactive Map

What road are you driving on? Is it 88 through Minden/Gardnerville and Carson City?

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
There is Wild Quakers in CA according Wikipedia. :p

I guess I should have said there is already a bunch of wild parrots that live in CA that a few Monk Parrots wouldn't hurt.

Also, I said Zoo's have special permits and other things that would allow them to keep animals that normal people can not keep. Lions, Tigers, Bears Oh My! To name a few.

Link please? Cause I can't find that info.

The closest I've found was the following link with info from the 1970's and no current data on whether or not any of these birds are still there today.
http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1006&context=vpc6

I do believe it's illegal to keep many large predators in many states, not just California, unless you are a Zoo, Sanctuary or Wildlife Habitat, so I just don't see how this has anything to do with quakers.

baron1282

Oct 20, 2012
MonicaMC

Do you not get the original intent of my statements? I gave the OP a phone number to call to see if she could get a permit to allow her to bring her bird with her. I used the example of the Zoo as just an example of the fact that exceptions can be made. I even stated a little sarcastically implying that a Zoo was a bad example as they are a Zoo and she is not. I merely suggested that there might be a tiny bit of hope! The OP will not find out if he/she never calls or attempt to do so. Also it's illegal in many states to own Monk Parrots just like Large Predators. Yet people can get a permit to own the large animal without being a Zoo, Sanctuary or Wildlife Habitat. I never said it's a good idea, but rules can be circumnavigated if you are willing to pay for the permits.

Also there is wild parrots in CA.

Parrots - Wild Parrots - Wild World Of Parrots Gallery

Last edited:

shyness

Jul 10, 2012
hmmmn let me ask my husband what roads we took because we never saw anything and never were stopped by anyone.. matter of fact we went through the tahoe are just a couple of months back.. Funny.. If there is station I didnt see it... We take the same road almost 5 times a year

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Baron, I know there are wild parrots in California! I've seen the famous flock in SF. And I get what you mean about the zoos now.

P1010210.jpg

Shyness, I was just in Lake Tahoe this weekend, and I did not go through a border station. The reason being is that I did not go far enough into California (along 50/89) to reach the border station. I got as close as about 4.5 miles away from it, having turned a different direction. (Where 89 turns into Emerald Bay and 50 turns into Lake Tahoe Blvd along that stretch of the road) The inspection stations typically flag cars through so they don't have to physically stop, unless the people feel a need to inspect the car.

Here's a photo of the i80 inspection station.
042410.24 Leaving California. A California agriculture inspection station on the eastbound side of I-80. | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

baron1282

Oct 20, 2012
So your telling me, there is no way to get into California without going though a inspection station? I live in Indiana, and the Monk Parrot is illegal to own in Kentucky. Yet a Store in Ohio that is right on the boarder of Kentucky and Indiana is selling a Monk Parrot right now. I live in an area where I can cross into Ohio from Indiana, into Kentucky and back into Indiana in less than 3 minuets. I can transport the parrot without anyone knowing during that time.

Is California really that regulated where they have every single road blocked? I find that very hard to believe.

Also I am sure the OP can easily transport them over the boarder without issue. Also it's very easy to get a vet in another part of the country that boarders CA that don't have an issue with the Quaker. Depending on where in CA you live! A drive of over 200 miles would suck if you were near the ocean, but if you do it for a check up it might be ok.

I am not saying break the law to the OP, but if it was me I would just take my pet and find a parrot place that sales parrots in CA to help me with my bird.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
No, not every road has a border station, and some can be driven around... but that's still breaking the law. It could be dangerous taking a quaker anywhere in California out in public because if someone knows what it is and they report it, well, bird may not be safe. How do you know what vets you can trust? Or what pet stores? Or the people who visit these places?

If the OP can get a permit, great! If not (and I highly doubt that they can, considering I've never heard of a quaker in CA legally), well, I don't suggest moving to California.

shyness

Jul 10, 2012
I have never paid attention to that... So i cant say i have ever seen in.. Funny how poeple domt really pay attention to their surroundings.. But yeah i could have been smuggling quakers because no one has ever stopped us... People in the bay go to tahoe all the time... Just drive though there on a weekend you should be fine

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
Here's the thing. If the bird is illegal, I mean "undocumented", then just bring him out here. He can qualify for welfare, free medical care, get a drivers license, aaaaand qualify for lower college tuition!

Most Reactions