Parrots in California?! PLEASE ANSWER!

baron1282

Oct 20, 2012
I bet you 99% of the people in CA wouldn't even know what the darn bird is or even looks like or know that it's even a parrot. The issue is vet care if needed, which you would have to travel out of state for.

Were not encouraging the behavior, but pointing out what we would do. It would be like asking to give up one of your kids, that would never happen, Why would pets be any different?
If the person is a responsible pet owner than the State should have a way for the pet to be allowed into the state. It's not right to ask a responsible pet owner to give up an animal they care for, just because of something that has already happened in California. What I mean is wild parrots are already in the state, what is a Monk Parrot going to do if it becomes wild?

I am not saying break the law to her, but this is got to be the OP decision as she will have to live with the choice. I just pointed out what I would do. I would not give up any of my pets to move to another state.

Besides Ferrets are illegal in CA, but many people have them and go to their vets. The Neon Glow Fish are illegal in CA and many people have them in their aquarium. I know many people that keep wild animals as pets that they found injured and nursed back to health. Squirrels, Racoons, and Skunks are almost illegal to keep as pets everywhere but people do and Vets take care of them. So just because there is a law does not mean it's enforced.
Look at all the Gun Laws that are already on the books that would do EVERYTHING that people want done but none get enforced. Immigration laws are never enforced!

Another issue for this poor OP is she is 13 (Checked her Profile Page) so all of our advice is null and void as it's not up to her.

To the OP, you got to talk to you parents about this issue. Know that no one here will condone you breaking the Law, but are pointing out that if it was our pet we would. That does not make it right to do so!! So talk to your parents and express your concerns. In the end they will need to decide what risk they are willing to take. Don't be upset at them if they do not want to risk taking the bird with them. In the end it would be better if you gave up your bird to a new loving family to keep it safe from harm and if that is what your parents decide don't hate them for it as it's best for your pet bird!! You can go a few pages back and give them the number I listed so they can call to see if they can work out something. Good Luck!

Last edited:
OP
P

PenguinAndPickles

Feb 6, 2013
Parrots
6 year old quaker named Penguin
One year old green cheek conure/sun conure hybrid
Thank you everyone for all the replies. I have decided that I will leave my baby with a friend who owns many other birds and will happily take him if we move. I am very upset but I really dont want to put him at the risk of being out down. I can only hope that someday we will live together again:( I will miss him so much:(

baron1282

Oct 20, 2012
Good for you!! But try to get your parents to call the number I gave. You might (Small chance) be able to get a permit to take your bird. It's worth a shot!!!

Here is a Number to the California Department of Wildlife, Banned Species and Protected Species office.

1-(916)-928-2537
Ask for Cathay!

Most Reactions