OP
LoveMyParrots

LoveMyParrots

Dec 29, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Ozzie - alexandrine parakeet
Wow you are so lucky!. I am going to start saving for an african grey, I do hope the price drops a bit as they seem to be becoming a bit more popular. There are a few breeders selling them these days! : D

Alex cost me $100. I think he was parent raised and his old owner just wanted to get rid of him :(
Yuki cost me about $190. She was parent raised. Her breeder did handle her a bit from time to time. She does handle them when they are babies but she said it's more natural that the parents should raise them. So that they wont get confused about who and what they are when they get older. Well that's what she said to me :p She was also DNA'd

Wow, that's very cheap! An aviary alexandrine cost at about $200 here. And the African grey is only a maybe, mum hasn't made up her mind yet! So far it's a 50/50! Lol we are waiting for the price

Ash

Nov 20, 2011
Hamilton, New Zealand
There are no greys in rescues here. It would be a 1 and a million chance to see a larger bird like a grey, macaw, amazon, even quakers in a rescue here. So I would have to buy one instead. In our rescues we mainly have it for our own native birds. They do get cockatiels, budgies, IRN's, doves, chickens, roosters from time to time. But they are usually adopted out pretty fast.

Amazon's cost like $6000
Macaws are about $7000
Cockatoo's (depends on type) are about $1000 (for Galah's, Bare Eyed Too, Sulfer Crested). The others are about $8000 those are M2's U2's and I saw a red tailed too for $9000 but that was sold pretty quickly. :eek:

Ash

Nov 20, 2011
Hamilton, New Zealand
The alexandrine prices always change. I saw them for $150 (parent raised) for awhile but they have gone back up to $300. You can even get hand reared ones for about $300.

Karigan

Jul 3, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Kitoko: Female Senegal Parrot, born 2002
Talia: Female CAG, born 2008
Mateo: Female CAG, born 2008
Most of the pet stores we have here have no toys for their birds and budgies, canaries... anything cockatiel or smaller are crowded into tiny cages or glass sided stands that are no more than 3-4 feet square, and sometimes the budgies are grouped in a dozen or more. Petcetera is better, they have a 4/4 room with a door and they have the entire 8 feet of space to fly in, but there still on dowel perches with 1 toy at most, and of course on a seed diet.

lotosha

Jun 29, 2012
Parrots
A pair of cockatiels
And pair of African Greys
Nice photos. Often I feel bad for pets in stores cause they live in small cages, but the birds on your photos look healthy and having a good time.

OP
LoveMyParrots

LoveMyParrots

Dec 29, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Most of the pet stores we have here have no toys for their birds and budgies, canaries... anything cockatiel or smaller are crowded into tiny cages or glass sided stands that are no more than 3-4 feet square, and sometimes the budgies are grouped in a dozen or more. Petcetera is better, they have a 4/4 room with a door and they have the entire 8 feet of space to fly in, but there still on dowel perches with 1 toy at most, and of course on a seed diet.

That is so sad :( I hate pet stop that have like a dozen parrot in a tiny cage, with no toys, and feed a 100% seed diet :(

OP
LoveMyParrots

LoveMyParrots

Dec 29, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Nice photos. Often I feel bad for pets in stores cause they live in small cages, but the birds on your photos look healthy and having a good time.

I know, I feel sorry for them too. :(

Yeah, that is one of my favourite pet shop. :) They take very good care of their birds, althought their birds cost a bit more than some other store, but their parrot are very healthy

OP
LoveMyParrots

LoveMyParrots

Dec 29, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Wow, I didn't thought that so many people would comment on this thread! Thanks guys! :D next time when I go to anther pet store, I'll take a photo! They take WONDERFUL care of their birds! About 6-10 cockatiels live in a 2 meters tall, about 3-4 meters wide indoor aviary! And they have lots of toys for their birds. I'll take some photos next time when I go there! :)

OP
LoveMyParrots

LoveMyParrots

Dec 29, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Is this pet store close to me? I want to go! Where is it! What's it called?!! Haha

Lol :D

It's called Pet Mart Australia

It's in Springvale, on Springvale road, sorry I can't remember the actual number, but I think it was 546 or something like that :)

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus Female - Audrey.
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Mini - Budgie, RIP gorgeous girl.
Those photos are so gorgeous! :)

I do hate when pet shops up the prices of birds though, the pet shop near me has a grey for $10,000 as well, its an outrage that they up the price so much when you can go to a breeder and get them for half that, if not less ! I'm not surprised the b&g has been there for so long lol, they need to lower the price!

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
I love your photos, the birds seem so happy.

And to the people bashing petco and petsmart, I use to work at petsmart and you need to remember it's about who the staff is. I've been to several terrible pet stores, and also some great pet stores. We took great care of our birds and we did not hesitate to take them to a vet if needed. With every parrot/finch I sold I gave them my avian vets information, as well as one other highly recommended avian vet and made sure to educate the possible pet parents on toys, food, and house hold dangers before I carefully captured the birds and put them in a travel box. What I can say is that the suppliers aren't great. They are in it for the money. They have vastly improved though. Before some small pets(hamsters, guinea pigs, rats, mice) would come in very skinny and couldn't be put in floor enclosures until several weeks had passed and they gained weight. Now the animals are coming in much healthier and are able to be put on the floor after the QT period.

I know we all hate chain pet stores to some degree(I know I do), but don't bash every single store just because your angry. Think about the people who work there to make sure these animals are at least going to homes with well educated people and gladly refusing those who aren't willing to learn.

OP
LoveMyParrots

LoveMyParrots

Dec 29, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots

I do hate when pet shops up the prices of birds though, the pet shop near me has a grey for $10,000 as well, its an outrage that they up the price so much when you can go to a breeder and get them for half that, if not less ! I'm not surprised the b&g has been there for so long lol, they need to lower the price!

What! An African grey for $10,000!? Oh no, then my mum won't let me have one! :eek: She is interested in African greys for some reason! Lol :D And she said she can think about a Congo African grey as long as its under $5000... I have always know that African Greys are pretty rare here at Melbourne, but I have heard that they are usually around $3000-$5000! And they pet shop told me it should be around $4000-$7000 depends on how good the blood line is. A pure African grey will cost a lot more.

I'm searching for some good African grey breeders here in Melbourne. If anyone know any good breeder, can you please let me know. Thank you :)

OP
LoveMyParrots

LoveMyParrots

Dec 29, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
I love your photos, the birds seem so happy.

And to the people bashing petco and petsmart, I use to work at petsmart and you need to remember it's about who the staff is. I've been to several terrible pet stores, and also some great pet stores. We took great care of our birds and we did not hesitate to take them to a vet if needed. With every parrot/finch I sold I gave them my avian vets information, as well as one other highly recommended avian vet and made sure to educate the possible pet parents on toys, food, and house hold dangers before I carefully captured the birds and put them in a travel box. What I can say is that the suppliers aren't great. They are in it for the money. They have vastly improved though. Before some small pets(hamsters, guinea pigs, rats, mice) would come in very skinny and couldn't be put in floor enclosures until several weeks had passed and they gained weight. Now the animals are coming in much healthier and are able to be put on the floor after the QT period.

I know we all hate chain pet stores to some degree(I know I do), but don't bash every single store just because your angry. Think about the people who work there to make sure these animals are at least going to homes with well educated people and gladly refusing those who aren't willing to learn.

Thank you :)

And I understand, I have seen the some chain pet store, and some are very good while others are bad. It depends on the staff and boss that is working in the shop, and their knowledge on parrots.

Brodie

Jul 25, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Male Eclectus- Oscar and Female Eclectus- Scarlet

What! An African grey for $10,000!? Oh no, then my mum won't let me have one! :eek: She is interested in African greys for some reason! Lol :D And she said she can think about a Congo African grey as long as its under $5000... I have always know that African Greys are pretty rare here at Melbourne, but I have heard that they are usually around $3000-$5000! And they pet shop told me it should be around $4000-$7000 depends on how good the blood line is. A pure African grey will cost a lot more.

I'm searching for some good African grey breeders here in Melbourne. If anyone know any good breeder, can you please let me know. Thank you :)

I know an excellent breeder who has 3 pairs of greys. His near lancefield, I can give you details if interested, I was there the other day and he had 3 baby greys, I know one was sold though. But the one I held was absolutely adorable!

OP
LoveMyParrots

LoveMyParrots

Dec 29, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots

I know an excellent breeder who has 3 pairs of greys. His near lancefield, I can give you details if interested, I was there the other day and he had 3 baby greys, I know one was sold though. But the one I held was absolutely adorable!

Oh yes, please! Althought Lancefield is 1 hour and 38 min away from me, I am still interested! :D Thank you so much Brodie! :)

sodakat

Jul 15, 2009
Are those Green Cheek Conures in with the Tiels? I can't think what else would be that small.

Most Reactions