Photos of parrot at my local pet store

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
Pepsi and sprite, both are American male budgies
Those photos are so gorgeous! :)

I do hate when pet shops up the prices of birds though, the pet shop near me has a grey for $10,000 as well, its an outrage that they up the price so much when you can go to a breeder and get them for half that, if not less ! I'm not surprised the b&g has been there for so long lol, they need to lower the price!

YES !! Exactly ! At the local petco or petsmart they have sun conures for 1000$ dollars when you can get a full, healthy weaned baby from a breeder in town for ONLY 300$ . They trick lots of people saying " it's a rare species " or " it's pure bred ". Gets me so upset :mad:

Karigan

Jul 3, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Kitoko: Female Senegal Parrot, born 2002
Talia: Female CAG, born 2008
Mateo: Female CAG, born 2008
...Pure bred? As in they kept the macaws in another aviary 0.o? Interesting pitch.

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
Pepsi and sprite, both are American male budgies
To me, you can't get a pedigree for a parrot. They would lie to sell anything, especially a sick bird. Told them once that thier finch was sick said it was " sleeping " and we have " instore vets " .

ziggybird

Jan 21, 2013
Los Angeles
Parrots
Meyer's Parrot (Tukki),
Meyer's Parrot (Brooklyn),
Double Yellow Headed Amazon (Ziggy),
Blue and Gold Macaw (Max)
I get SO sad when I go into petco and petsmart and see the birds. I just want to rescue them :(

Mudkips

May 6, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Birdy the Green Cheek Conure
Hey I remember visiting this store! :)

Is that top picture of George the macaw? If I recall correctly, he was a permanent resident of the shop who perched on his playstand in the middle of the hand-reared birds section, greeting everyone that walked in with a clear and bright "Hello!"

George was the first macaw I ever got to hold! :D

OP
LoveMyParrots

LoveMyParrots

Dec 29, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Ozzie - alexandrine parakeet
Hey I remember visiting this store! :)

Is that top picture of George the macaw? If I recall correctly, he was a permanent resident of the shop who perched on his playstand in the middle of the hand-reared birds section, greeting everyone that walked in with a clear and bright "Hello!"

George was the first macaw I ever got to hold! :D

I'm not too sure if that was George or not. Because there were two b&g macaws in the hand reared birds section. The photo were the one macaw in the middle, and he/she did always say a clear and bright hello when ever people walked in. :) But the one in the photo were for sale, the other one wasn't. Maybe the other one is George?

By the way, I got to hand feed the macaw in the photo!!!! It's one year old, but loves baby food! It was so funny as it opened its beak waiting for me to feed it! It was very fun! :D

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Alexandrines are $300 - $400 handreared in QLD.

Ozzie was $900 at where I got him from. The other pet store had them for $600, but I went for the $900 ones because their birds looks a lot healthier and also tamer.
It's sad when people only try to get the best deal. I love that you went with the higher price for healthier birds :) A lot of backyard breeders here sell birds for inexpensive. You'll find hand raised galahs for 800-1,200 with birds who are often eating seed and breeders who know little, when they sell from a good breeder for 1,500 to 2,500.

OP
LoveMyParrots

LoveMyParrots

Dec 29, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Alexandrines are $300 - $400 handreared in QLD.

Ozzie was $900 at where I got him from. The other pet store had them for $600, but I went for the $900 ones because their birds looks a lot healthier and also tamer.
It's sad when people only try to get the best deal. I love that you went with the higher price for healthier birds :) A lot of backyard breeders here sell birds for inexpensive. You'll find hand raised galahs for 800-1,200 with birds who are often eating seed and breeders who know little, when they sell from a good breeder for 1,500 to 2,500.

Wow, galahs are very expensive at where you live! I can get a tame, hand raised galah here at Melbourne for only $300! Some better breeders sells them for about $400-$500!

I have heard that some people actually catch wild galahs, and once it have chicks, they release the adults and keep a few babies to hand raise. That is very cruel, but there is still people that do that :(

Thingamagigs

Oct 13, 2012
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Mana the manic female galah; yet to be named male corella

Price does not always mean better quality either. In this case it was a choice between petshops, petshops always jack up the prices.

For example... here is a quality victorian breeder and handrearer of Alexandrines... Alexandrine Parrots Hand Raised For Sale Melbourne Australia

They sell their babies for $450 for girls and $495 for boys. :)

Most pet shops sell for $600+, but you are just buying a bird the breeder couldn't sell privately. Buying from the breeder that sold that bird to the pet shop you would pay $350. If you are buying from a pet shop you are almost guaranteed of getting a bird that wasn't wanted by anyone the breeder could sell to privately so supplying the pet shop was the next best choice. In qld the prices I quoted are prices from the most reputable breeders in s/e qld. These are DNA sexed and health tested babies, you can see the parents and meet the breeder who handreared the babies from the start... they don't offload bubs to petshops and keep them if they do not sell...there is no doubt they are quality. :)

You could get one for $200 from a breeder who would allow you to finish the handrearing of the baby to save money LOL Which is illegal in most states :)
300-400 is the price for a quality bird in qld. And a difference of $500 is a big difference.

OP
LoveMyParrots

LoveMyParrots

Dec 29, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots

Price does not always mean better quality either. In this case it was a choice between petshops, petshops always jack up the prices.

For example... here is a quality victorian breeder and handrearer of Alexandrines... Alexandrine Parrots Hand Raised For Sale Melbourne Australia

They sell their babies for $450 for girls and $495 for boys. :)

Most pet shops sell for $600+, but you are just buying a bird the breeder couldn't sell privately. Buying from the breeder that sold that bird to the pet shop you would pay $350. If you are buying from a pet shop you are almost guaranteed of getting a bird that wasn't wanted by anyone the breeder could sell to privately so supplying the pet shop was the next best choice. In qld the prices I quoted are prices from the most reputable breeders in s/e qld. These are DNA sexed and health tested babies, you can see the parents and meet the breeder who handreared the babies from the start... they don't offload bubs to petshops and keep them if they do not sell...there is no doubt they are quality. :)

You could get one for $200 from a breeder who would allow you to finish the handrearing of the baby to save money LOL Which is illegal in most states :)
300-400 is the price for a quality bird in qld. And a difference of $500 is a big difference.

Thanks for all that :)

I've been to a few breeders and other pet stop that had alexandrines, but their parrots doesn't seem to be as heathy as Ozzie. So I payed for the higher price for a better parrot.

Yes, sometimes some pet shop sells horrible birds for a crazy price! :mad:

Most Reactions