Please, help!!

crakout

Jan 5, 2014
I have recently bought a quaker parrot from a pet shop. It has passed 3 days since I bought him and I can see that he hasnt eaten anything in that time or just a little. I dont know if its because of the stress of being in a new environment or because he is sick. He also sleeps during the day and night. And I cant check it closer because he is not tamed. And aboud the food, I have tried seeds, fruits, vegetables, millet, but he doesnt seem interested in the food. Should I just keep trying different kind of food or what?

Sorry if my English is bad, Im mexican

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
your english is just fine :)

your quaker sounds like mine did....wouldn't eat.

all I did was change bowls(to a larger one) and he started eating.

as for the sleeping during the day that does not sound normal, at night time yes of course.

he's probably sleeping during the day cause he's hungry....you would be as well if you haven't eaten normally.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
To give you a peace of mind, have him check out by a avian vet. What type of food are you feeding him???

Riggsy

Jan 3, 2014
While I would take the new one to a vet to get a checkup, I would not worry. Birds tend to get stressed out from changes in their environment/diet. You said he eats none to very little.. Does he try new food you introduce into the cage?

I would switch bowls as already stated.

Another good tip I have used and would try with the veggies, eat them in front of him so he can get a good view of what you are eating. Take that very same food off your plate and stick it in the cage. Trust is a big issue at this point, if you were taken prisoner you would be a bit skeptical of the food too...

Spend as much time in the same room as possible, the more you can be watched by him the better.

If this is a new cage/setup for this bird I would remove all unneeded toys and perches. If I put a new toy/perch in my quakers cage she won't go near it for a few days even if that means not eating.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts