Poll what conure do you have.

What type of conure do you have?

• Green cheek

Votes: 22 52.4%
  • Other Pyrrhura (Please share what kind you have.)

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Sun conure

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • Jandaya

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Nanday

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Golden Capped

• Dusky head

• Blue-crowned

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Peach-front

• Red masked

• Mitred

• Patagonian

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Half moon

• White Eyed

• Other Aratinga (Please share that kind you have. )

Votes: 2 4.8%

• Total voters
OP
snowflake311

snowflake311

Jun 7, 2016
Tahoe
Parrots
Sprinkels, Black capped Conure/
Olaf, male, Budgie/
Sweetpea, female, Budgie/
RIP Kiwi, female, Senegal
Looks like green cheeks are the winner so far.

jagrooten5

Sep 7, 2016
I don't have any conures but I do have two small feathered pterodactyls

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

LoveMyConlan

Mar 31, 2015
Media
Pennsylvania, USA
Parrots
Gcc- Conlan... Sun Conure- Mouse...Jenday- Kellan... RLA- Happy...B&G Macaw- Rhage
I have Green Cheek(normal green) named Conlan.

A Sun Conure named Mouse.

A Jenday named Kellan.

gavagai

Mar 18, 2017
Capital of Texas
Parrots
Green-cheek conure, Quaker parakeet
Too many green cheeks in the poll, not enough suns. I call foul! lol
Don't you mean "fowl"?

Any rate, I think the prevalence of green-cheeks is due to their reputation as being relatively quite, and the fact that Americans increasingly live in apartments. Even when I lived with my family in a house, my brother came to despise my sun conure (fortunately, my parents never seemed any more bothered by his calls than I was) on account of his calls, and I think there's a general consensus that Aratinga spp. conures don't make good apartment birds on account of their impact on neighbors. I would have loved another sun conure but even with an end unit and double walls (also, somewhat unusually for Austin my apartment is two floors rather than a sprawling unit on one floor, meaning I don't have upstairs or downstairs neighbors) I wouldn't risk losing my bird by taking in a sun. (Actually, what I really want among the Aratingas is a gold-cap; I've wanted one since I was a kid, and I even found a parrot rescue in East Texas which had one, but given that they're reported no quieter than suns, I forced myself to admit it was a bad idea.)

Compared to my late sun conure, the green cheek is much more inquisitive and playful, but considerably less cuddly.

I notice that the Queen-of-Bavaria/golden conure is missing from the poll. Since it's always looked to me more like a macaw, and genetic studies show that it might be nestled within the macaws (though the same, more surprisingly, is true for the true Aratinga spp. conures), its absence doesn't bother me unduly, but there are people who keep them as pets (though they're still rare enough in aviculture that I wouldn't keep one myself for that purpose), in the handful of states which had breeding populations before the FWS banned their trade across state lines.

OP
snowflake311

snowflake311

Jun 7, 2016
Tahoe
Parrots
Sprinkels, Black capped Conure/
Olaf, male, Budgie/
Sweetpea, female, Budgie/
RIP Kiwi, female, Senegal
Too many green cheeks in the poll, not enough suns. I call foul! lol
Don't you mean "fowl"?

Any rate, I think the prevalence of green-cheeks is due to their reputation as being relatively quite, and the fact that Americans increasingly live in apartments. Even when I lived with my family in a house, my brother came to despise my sun conure (fortunately, my parents never seemed any more bothered by his calls than I was) on account of his calls, and I think there's a general consensus that Aratinga spp. conures don't make good apartment birds on account of their impact on neighbors. I would have loved another sun conure but even with an end unit and double walls (also, somewhat unusually for Austin my apartment is two floors rather than a sprawling unit on one floor, meaning I don't have upstairs or downstairs neighbors) I wouldn't risk losing my bird by taking in a sun. (Actually, what I really want among the Aratingas is a gold-cap; I've wanted one since I was a kid, and I even found a parrot rescue in East Texas which had one, but given that they're reported no quieter than suns, I forced myself to admit it was a bad idea.)

Compared to my late sun conure, the green cheek is much more inquisitive and playful, but considerably less cuddly.

I notice that the Queen-of-Bavaria/golden conure is missing from the poll. Since it's always looked to me more like a macaw, and genetic studies show that it might be nestled within the macaws (though the same, more surprisingly, is true for the true Aratinga spp. conures), its absence doesn't bother me unduly, but there are people who keep them as pets (though they're still rare enough in aviculture that I wouldn't keep one myself for that purpose), in the handful of states which had breeding populations before the FWS banned their trade across state lines.

There are a lot of birds missing from the list thats why I put "other Aratinga" The Golden conures are Very rare and Very expensive if you do find one.

Green cheeks are common they are a good size and not too loud. I am not surprised they are number one. I have wanted a sun for a long time but the scream they can make. My Aunt has a Golden capped I have loved that bird since I met it when I was a teen. They are really great birds. Hers can be loud and annoying with his constant flock call. I don't mind his scream as much as some others.

gavagai

Mar 18, 2017
Capital of Texas
Parrots
Green-cheek conure, Quaker parakeet
The only missing species Aratinga species is A. maculata, which isn't kept in aviculture AFAIK. Eupsittula and Psittacara contain several species rarely kept in aviculture and those genera were only recently split from Aratinga, so I assumed that's what you were referring to. If the golden conure was ever considered part of Aratinga, it was before my time; when I first got into birds it was treated as a distinct genus in all the sources I read. It's also not all that rare or expensive, in states where it's bred it goes for $2-4k from what I've seen, and I've seen some being sold as pets. The big issue is that it's listed by the FWS as an endangered species, which means it can't be sold across state lines and only a handful of states had large enough breeding populations to perpetuate it from in-state stock before they did that.

There are several conure genera other than the golden conure which I'm not aware were ever considered part of Aratinga, but aside from the already-listed Patagonian conure, I'm fairly certain that only one which has been kept in captivity successfully is Enicognathus, containing the austral and slender-billed conures. While the slender bill has been bred in the US, and both subspecies of austral conure have been bred in Europe, I'm not sure either is still being bred anymore, at least not in the US. I've gone out of my way to look for them and haven't been able to find anyone selling them in the US, whereas I've found plenty of places selling the golden conure from what I've seen, which is why I brought it up.

As for the call of the sun conure, I actually find it relaxing. But yes, it's not just the volume of Aratinga spp. conures that's an issue; it's also the frequency. The only birds I've had who vocalized as much as my sun conure did were lovebirds, and they're nowhere near as loud.

Last edited:

Most Reactions