Poo Q :)

Sadie

Feb 24, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Parrots
Scout- SI Eclectus
I am so loving this guy already! I cant get enough of him!
This evening he snuggled on my chest grinding his beak while i was laying on the couch!
He doesnt mind random cage time yet and has only screamed when its about his feeding time and im near the sink.
i know were still in the honeymoon phase and behaviors will come up. im just trying to do everything right in the start to avoid unnecessary behavior problems. I am petting his back though so im probably going to be plagued with the mating issues eventually...its just so hard not to pet his back!

Anyways 2 questions already (sorry)
-what cleans poo off of carpet? i have light grey carpet and wow does it stain! any secrets u guys have?
-How can i keep him off of something? He isnt clipped at all and i would like to keep it that way until at least 6 month when i can get him a light clip. But he always flies up onto my picture window vertical blind beam. its going to break eventually, he is a heavy boy. any way i can teach him to stay off of them?

Thanks so much guys!

tlouiselle

Mar 9, 2011
Florida
Parrots
Stewie- Eclectus

Oscar-Black capped Conure-RIP my baby
Aren't they sweet? We love ours so much. They learn "no" very easily but are still sneaky little boogers. Stewie will actually watch to see if I am looking. If I am he is an angel, if I turn my back he doesn't miss a beat LOL. When Stewie learned how to fly he flew into the sliding glass and landed on the door track. He could not walk for a week. The vet said the damage could be permanent...THANKFULLY he has made a full recovery. After this happened I partially clipped him. I clipped the first 4 of his flight feathers only half way up the length of the feather. He could still fly but it slowed him down so that he couldn't get hurt.

There is a product called "poop off". I LOVE IT!!!!! It works wonders. Another great product is from the pet store called "natures miracle".

With your guy at such a young age you can condition him to go potty on command. I started to time Stewie for how often he went to the bathroom. It was about every 10-20 minutes. So I would look at the clock and time 10 minutes after he went. I would then place him on his cage or his stand and say "go potty" (sometimes they won't go, so leave him on there until he goes or take him off for a minute then take him back to the stand). It didn't take long for him to get it. Every time he went I praised him, let him know how excited I was, and took him off the stand immediately. He never has an accident on us or the furniture now. Even in the car he will hold it for out 2 hour trips when he is on my shoulder. When we get to our destination I will take him out of the car, ask him if he has to go potty, and he goes :) It never fails to impress whoever is watching LOL!!!

Enjoy your baby!

OP
Sadie

Sadie

Feb 24, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Parrots
Scout- SI Eclectus
thank you! i'm going to be picking some of that up today! I am going to try to potty train, shouldnt be too hard, he doesnt go when he is on my, just when he is on anything else :)

i really dont like him not being clipped, it scares me that he is going to get hurt every time he takes off. I just heard its better to keep them for the first six months because it helps with motor skills, coordination and confidence?

Thank you for the advice!

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
sadie I really like the name Scout ,thats really cute . sounds like everthing is going . Alison and sweetie pie:D

MollyGreenCheeks

Jan 16, 2012
Media
Albums
Arizona, USA
Parrots
Molly - GCC, Cody - GCC, Gracie - Congo African Grey
Fully agree that Poop-Off is a wonderful product. Works on clothes, walls, carpets, wood, metal, plastic, everything.............

tlouiselle

Mar 9, 2011
Florida
Parrots
Stewie- Eclectus

Oscar-Black capped Conure-RIP my baby
Anytime :) Just remember if he starts to get al ittle too crazy with flying if you just clip a little bit (even start with one feather half way up on each wing) it will slow him down so that he can still earn his motor skills but he just flys a little slower. Stewie learned just fine with his little trim. It slowed down his speed so he could see the walls coming and have time to learn how to turn or stop :)

Most Reactions