Possible "problem" with new tiel I just got yesterday???

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
Two Cockatiels: Rascal (Geraldine) and his baby brother named Coconut!
I don’t know if I’m making something out of nothing… but yesterday I kept noticing (Coconut) my new tiel’s feathers on his entire front side (chest area) keeps "splitting open into a wide long bald line straight down his front side"… is this a normal thing to happen since he is young tiel around 3 months old? I think it’s happening because his chest has not developed the super thick down coat/feathers yet?

I am trying to make appointment to take him to vet to get a gram stain and chlamydia test. I’m terrified to let him anywhere near my tiel incase he might have something. I know I messed up the quarantine already and broke all the rules… but I’ve been keeping them about 15 feet apart… here’s a pic....new tiel in small cage… my tiel is in the massive cage near porch window….. Rascal keeps trying to go over and check out the new tiell!!

Here is pic... usually the crack is MUCH bigger than pictured below when he ruffles his feathers more (so below pic is very lousy example)... Rascal never has this happen.... hope it's normal... I'm worried about it :( I love this tiel though it's the sweetest thing ever!... and so active... he's played with the toys more than Rascal has his entire life lol

Last edited:

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Hi firstly pleased to see you made it there and back safely with Coconut.

Feathers: He may just not have enough feathers to stretch over the breast (Keel) bone yet.

Quarantine: Oh dear! This could have serious implications and they should be in different rooms. If you take quarantine to it's limits it involves no common air supply, changes of clothes etc. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed for you with this.

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
Hi firstly pleased to see you made it there and back safely with Coconut.

Feathers: He may just not have enough feathers to stretch over the breast (Keel) bone yet.

Quarantine: Oh dear! This could have serious implications and they should be in different rooms. If you take quarantine to it's limits it involves no common air supply, changes of clothes etc. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed for you with this.

Crap, now I'm very worried. I already messed the quarantine up :( ... because they are being kept about 15 feet apart.... I know that is not enough.

I have vet appointment to take Coconut to the vet on Thurs... I couldn't get sooner app... I know it doesn't matter because there are so many things the vet cannot check for. I'm an idiot.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Ok what's done is done but you can still separate them, use common sense ie wash hands between going one to other - no shared food or dishes.

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
Ok what's done is done but you can still separate them, use common sense ie wash hands between going one to other - no shared food or dishes.

I admit I'm rather embarrassed I screwed up the quarantine already... I have been washing my hands for sure. If something happened to Rascal because of me I would DIE. The breeder has had this tiel at his house past 3 weeks... but I don't know if he had any other birds in his house or just this tiel. I will text him and ask....

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Okay panic not necessary, just be sensible from now on. I do appreciate your excitement on bringing this little one home.

Last edited:
OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
I have good news... I texted the seller... I recall he mentioned this tiel was at his house... that is another reason why he got so aggravated that the tiel wasn't getting picked up soon enough.

He just confirmed this tiel was by himself until he was weaned.... he's been by himself for past 3 weeks at least...

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Rodney Blue Fronted Amazon
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive
First off relax Tropical...odds are Rascal will be fine but more importantly you need to be chilled out and relaxed so that both your birds stay healthy ...and also you stay healthy. Stress more than anything else causes disease to thrive in humans and animals and birds so relax so your birds too feel relaxed and follow the quarrentine instructions you got from now on as well as is possible for you to do. The little fella Coconut is Adorable Im sure he will do well at the vets and that all tests will come back negative. Stop worrying and enjoy both your tiels while at the same time taking all the precautions you can to ensure all is well and the fact that Coconut has been on his own for almost a month already is good. The others probably sold early and the breeder was left with Coconut on his own...enjoy your two babies and again Congratulations on the Handsome new arrival :)

Last edited:
OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
First off relax Tropical...odds are Rascal will be fine but more importantly you need to be chilled out and relaxed so that both your birds stay healthy ...and also you stay healthy. Stress more than anything else causes disease to thrive in humans and animals and birds so relax so your birds too feel relaxed and follow the quarrentine instructions you got from now on as well as is possible for you to do. The little fella Coconut is Adorable Im sure he will do well at the vets and that all tests will come back negative. Stop worrying and enjoy both your tiels while at the same time taking all the precautions you can to ensure all is well and the fact that Coconut has been on his own for almost a month already is good. The others probably sold early and the breeder was left with Coconut on his own...enjoy your two babies and again Congratulations on the Handsome new arrival :)

The breeder did tell me on the phone all the other babies were sold long ago... this was the only one left.... because it was on hold for me.

... but I have good news again... this bird is so insanely cuddly he actually let me ruffle his chest/stomach feathers up and I got a very close look.... there is NO problem at all... so as usual I freaked out for nothing. He almost always has that line/crack in this chest... but I'm sure it's because he's so young and not developed his full "coat" yet :) This bird even lets me pet his wings!!

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Rodney Blue Fronted Amazon
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive
Tropical I know exactly how you feel...I even got up in the middle of the night and took a peek to make sure my new baby was still alive...hee hee this kind of panic is all part and parcel of being a new Parront...relax all will be well...sounds like Coconut is an Adorable pet already... he was well worth all the extra hassle :)

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
Tropical I know exactly how you feel...I even got up in the middle of the night and took a peek to make sure my new baby was still alive...hee hee this kind of panic is all part and parcel of being a new Parront...relax all will be well...sounds like Coconut is an Adorable pet already... he was well worth all the extra hassle :)

He was worth me risking my life... I'm soooo happy I managed to get this tiel =)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
There's nothing to worry about with the breast feather part. That's nothing unusual.

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
There's nothing to worry about with the breast feather part. That's nothing unusual.

Is what I'm seeing because he's still a baby and hasn't grown in his thick plumage yet to cover his keel bone? As my other tiel "Rascal" doesn't have this...

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Since birds don't grow feathers all over the inside of the breast, there is always this "split" on all birds. You say Rascal doesn't have it, but he just probably has thicker feathering and is not as noticeable. When a bird 'fluffs and shakes off' it is a time when this vertical split in feathers down the front is more obvious. :) Nothing to worry about.

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
Since birds don't grow feathers all over the inside of the breast, there is always this "split" on all birds. You say Rascal doesn't have it, but he just probably has thicker feathering and is not as noticeable. When a bird 'fluffs and shakes off' it is a time when this vertical split in feathers down the front is more obvious. :) Nothing to worry about.

Great, when I first saw that massive split I was thinking "flesh eating disease"... or something along those lines and now Rascal is going to catch it. It literally looked like the bird is splitting in half... I just never seen that before ;)

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
All babies look a little frumpy (so cute like a toddler who tried to dress himself). My Nigel is still a baby (almost 6 mo) and just learning how to keep his feathers cared for. He's still filling in feathers too.

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
Do some baby tiels have much larger crests than others? As Coconut has a super short and super tiny crest compared to other tiels I've been his age... both his parents have very large crests. I guess some baby tiels just grow their crests at different rates?

Most Reactions

Latest posts