Possible sick conure ?

emee219

Feb 7, 2020
Peoria, AZ
Parrots
Perrie- 7 y/o green cheek
Hellooooo ( yes it’s me again >.< )

Okay so for about a year now (on and off), my green cheek has been bobbing her head as if she’s going to throw up, but rarely actually throws up. However, lately she has been throwing up these seeds, is it something that i need to be concerned about? Usually when I start worrying about it, it seems to stop, but I figured that I should ask anyways. Pictures attached!

Attachments

• 03F5EA3C-48C6-42E6-AE2C-0199B66BD939.jpg
    03F5EA3C-48C6-42E6-AE2C-0199B66BD939.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 98
  • 8463599D-B00B-472F-B80F-D467567CEF81.jpg
    8463599D-B00B-472F-B80F-D467567CEF81.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 77

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
How old is your GCC? If this behavior has been occurring for at least one year, she is likely sexually mature. There is a fine line between regurgitating for health reasons and hormonal displays of affection. Have you smelled the material and detected sourness or bitter/distasteful odor? If all other parameters (eating, eliminating, energy level) are normal after such events, the cause is most likely hormonal. Our members with conures may offer species specific guidance. If ever in doubt, seek advice from a certified avian vet.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I agree with above-mentioned.

With the caveat, that all regurge for sexual, behavioral, has been a creamy white with all my birds. No seed bits in it....

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
OP
emee219

emee219

Feb 7, 2020
Peoria, AZ
Parrots
Thank you for your reply!! She is 7 years old, and I’ve had her since she was about 5 months old. I’m not quite sure what to do moving forward.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Thank you for your reply!! She is 7 years old, and I’ve had her since she was about 5 months old. I’m not quite sure what to do moving forward.

So your conure is sexually mature. Try confining touching to the head area, nothing below the neck, wings, belly, or vent area. Some birds interpret such interaction as sexually suggestive.

OP
emee219

emee219

Feb 7, 2020
Peoria, AZ
Parrots
She still seems to be doing this several times a day, and throws up multiple seeds at once. When i’m not by her, she screams constantly. I just want her to be okay :(

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
i'D CONSULT AN AVN Bird throw up as a bonding child rearing experience but its usually ...

You know what does the bird do it when it's with you? or even when your not around.....

If he/she only does it sitting on you, hormones, if all the time.....get an AVN appointment immediately....

Most Reactions