Possibly getting a Patagonian Conure

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Potentially there is something in this, again each bird has a different personality.

Gail has 30 odd years of experience with RB, have you been able to view any of her videos to judge the noise level?

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N66y4WaOk4"]Patagonian Conures at the World's Largest Parrot Colony - YouTube[/ame]

There is possibly something in LordTriggs' method of getting your neighbours on board and introduce yourself and your parrot whilst offering cake. Asking for them to come tell you if too noisy. Would the breeder take the bird back in a specified period if it doesnt work out?

They like people around and this potentially is able to make them quieter as they can see their flock and do not need to call out so much.

Last edited:

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
We've never really spoken to our neighbours, everyone keeps themselves to themselves.

I did just read that hand reared birds are less vocal then wild caught bird and if given the attention and stimulation they are likely to call less.....is this true?

well for starters if someone is selling a wild-caught bird then you need to report them as it's illegal pretty much everywhere now.

Hand-reared over parent-reared there's indication of noise. In short, they make noise when they make noise. My conure never shrieked at morning or not, he would chirrup. But if the local bids were out the window, he was getting too excited, I went to the bathroom without him or if I "failed" at the game he made up he would shriek. Even his relatively quiet shriek was loud when he wanted it to be. Of course any bird can be taught to be loud or quiet, it all depends in how the parrot and owner interact. ultimately you do have to think about your neighbours, the last thing you want is to meet them at 6AM on a sunday when they're banging on the door. Do try and say hello to them beforehand, inform them you're looking at getting a bird so they're not suddenly surprised by it and tell them to come speak to you if the noise is constant. Most people go into apartments expecting some noise. People are more receptive if they know you're thinking of their needs

Why are you so set on a patty anyway? Is it just the uniqueness of them? Or did you hear something about them? Most conures have similar tendencies within reason. Like said before go out to some rescues and go meet some birds, let them pick you, you can rarely go wrong if you let them decide you're right.

OP
Staysee

Staysee

Sep 13, 2017
UK
Parrots
Patagonian Conure
The waking up one seems so quiet!

OP
Staysee

Staysee

Sep 13, 2017
UK
Parrots
Patagonian Conure
We've never really spoken to our neighbours, everyone keeps themselves to themselves.

I did just read that hand reared birds are less vocal then wild caught bird and if given the attention and stimulation they are likely to call less.....is this true?

well for starters if someone is selling a wild-caught bird then you need to report them as it's illegal pretty much everywhere now.

Hand-reared over parent-reared there's indication of noise. In short, they make noise when they make noise. My conure never shrieked at morning or not, he would chirrup. But if the local bids were out the window, he was getting too excited, I went to the bathroom without him or if I "failed" at the game he made up he would shriek. Even his relatively quiet shriek was loud when he wanted it to be. Of course any bird can be taught to be loud or quiet, it all depends in how the parrot and owner interact. ultimately you do have to think about your neighbours, the last thing you want is to meet them at 6AM on a sunday when they're banging on the door. Do try and say hello to them beforehand, inform them you're looking at getting a bird so they're not suddenly surprised by it and tell them to come speak to you if the noise is constant. Most people go into apartments expecting some noise. People are more receptive if they know you're thinking of their needs

Why are you so set on a patty anyway? Is it just the uniqueness of them? Or did you hear something about them? Most conures have similar tendencies within reason. Like said before go out to some rescues and go meet some birds, let them pick you, you can rarely go wrong if you let them decide you're right.

It's just this bird seems to fit all the qualities my other half is looking for in a bird and cos it's for Christmas for him, this bird will be ready for Christmas aswell. It all fits for us

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.

There shouldn't be any wild caught birds available in the UK. If you find any then please do report them!

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Yes do report if you see wild-caught. although I think possibly more mix-up of words and you meant parent reared birds.

Just making sure you have spoken with your other half about all this? To surprise someone with a bird isn't good. Also you say they will be ready by christmas, so that leads me to believe they haven't hatched yet from an egg, which means they are force weaning them which IMO isn't the greatest option. Do try to keep an eye out for different birds around. you'd be amazed at what you find. Wales seems to be a hot-spot for bird breeders along with the north, sort of yorkshire area and of course scotland. For southerners like myself it's a bit trickier. I think setting yourself on a single bird isn't the greatest, you've been given a general run-down of a patty from a long time owner (she's known him for a whole decade before I was around) and a general overview of them from the rest of us. Don't shut off the idea fo other birds, try and meet some see who likes you, it's always a better start if they want to meet you rather than be scared of you

what is it with us brits? We're all coming out of the woodwork now!

OP
Staysee

Staysee

Sep 13, 2017
UK
Parrots
Patagonian Conure
Yes do report if you see wild-caught. although I think possibly more mix-up of words and you meant parent reared birds.

Just making sure you have spoken with your other half about all this? To surprise someone with a bird isn't good. Also you say they will be ready by christmas, so that leads me to believe they haven't hatched yet from an egg, which means they are force weaning them which IMO isn't the greatest option. Do try to keep an eye out for different birds around. you'd be amazed at what you find. Wales seems to be a hot-spot for bird breeders along with the north, sort of yorkshire area and of course scotland. For southerners like myself it's a bit trickier. I think setting yourself on a single bird isn't the greatest, you've been given a general run-down of a patty from a long time owner (she's known him for a whole decade before I was around) and a general overview of them from the rest of us. Don't shut off the idea fo other birds, try and meet some see who likes you, it's always a better start if they want to meet you rather than be scared of you

what is it with us brits? We're all coming out of the woodwork now!

My other half knows about it, intact he was the one who forced a day early trip to the shop to pick a bird haha he's overly excited!

The Patagonias she has are currently 4 weeks of age and she has told me 9/10 weeks til ready but we can visit whenever we want to see the birds growing up. Neither of us drive so we can't go elsewhere for birds, did look into it but not viable. We have parents that drive but neither that will drive long distance.

We've gone for it tho and put a deposit down. We've been research parrots for so long now and it just so happens that when we first go to a shop, the birds we had narrowed it down too wernt right or available and then this bird is, meant to be.

I held two of the babies today, they both pooped on me, so I'm set haha

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Ah I am firmly a cockatoo mum but was very smitten with my friend's Patty, a lot of character. Hope you will be very happy together and hope you will stay on here and post pictures and updates when possible. We love pics LOL. :)

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
For the record, I did mean Birdman666. And I place my self in the category of those who know very little about species other then the one I own ( a yellow shoulder Amazon) and a bit about species I have owned in the past ( a canary wing parrot aka beebee parrot and a yellow nape amazon). I try not to offer a seeker of help advice on every conceivable species or medical condition or general question, and generally direct folks to read the stickies on their given species or topic, where the real experts reside. The moderators know when to tell me to shut up.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Can someone answer me some questions please?

They are loud birds, which I understand but is it constant? Or is it when they are bored? Want attention? Having fun?
Yes, but! Always bored, always want attention, always having fun making noise!

Someone told me they are at their noisest at bed time and when getting up.
AM for sure!

Are they noisy because they have other birds around them so they just chatter loudly? Or does having a second keep them quieter?
You become the second bird!

In our place my other half is home all the time due to knee problems and depression/anxiety.....so the cage door, once the birds settled will be open all day unless he leaves the room, would this matter as he would always have attention.
He will want to follow!

Also, we're a quiet household, so would he learn to be quieter because it's a calm environment?
Nope!

Thanks guys!
You should read up on the trials of Ricky bird!

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
There is possibly something in LordTriggs' method of getting your neighbours on board and introduce yourself and your parrot whilst offering cake.

yes always offer cake, cake prepared at all times, mash it into their face, just shove it into their throat!

No but yes offering something relatively inexpensive and sweet is always a good way of opening people up. Just that little bit of courtesy really, it's amazing how far a small act can go.

Yes do discuss with your breeder about bringing him back if he's causing upset. Saying that the joy of a parrot is they rarely make noise at night which is when people will most likely get upset, you just need to avoid 5AM screaming and constant noise. Here's hoping all goes well, if so we all may have to change our thoughts generally on how "Rickeybirds" are haha!

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
I think (and my world-class avian vet THINKS so, too) that it's the ROOSTERS who are so loud (and I would add BAD). Of course, allowing him to terrorize the household, flighted and undisciplined and fearless... probably didn't help!

OP
Staysee

Staysee

Sep 13, 2017
UK
Parrots
Patagonian Conure
I think (and my world-class avian vet THINKS so, too) that it's the ROOSTERS who are so loud (and I would add BAD). Of course, allowing him to terrorize the household, flighted and undisciplined and fearless... probably didn't help!

The Roosters? I can't wait to get my feathered baby now!

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
That is good, you can either buy some black covers for the cage or make/have them made. This helps with the early morning shouting. It still occurs but is very short lived when the cage is covered in my experience!

Last edited:
OP
Staysee

Staysee

Sep 13, 2017
UK
Parrots
Patagonian Conure
Which are the best covers to block out as much as possible?

OP
Staysee

Staysee

Sep 13, 2017
UK
Parrots
Patagonian Conure
It'll be cheaper for us to buy black out curtains and sow them into shape haha

Is there a thread anywhere in this forum of what to buy your parrot....the cage stuff, types of toys, best foods etc altho I guess it'll be Americanized but if general items then I can find them in the uk

Most Reactions