Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Amazon! It's do-able!

Votes: 6 85.7%

• Total voters

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
2 umbrella Cockatoos One male named Cooper and female named Baby 1 Little Corella male named Frankie and have 5 Cockatiels three named Male named Pepper, Fiesco for the female and female named Wylie.
LOL.. oh my, excuse me while I have a laugh at your expense bud! For us its when my wife starts preping dinner - Salty puts on a 20 minute floor show, ranging from singing to some of the loudest parrot screeks I've heard to date, to running thru his sayings and laughs. But thats it, he is very quiet the rest of the time, just talking in his cute little indoor voice.

That actually smoothing when compared to my two U2's.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
LOL.. oh my, excuse me while I have a laugh at your expense bud! For us its when my wife starts preping dinner - Salty puts on a 20 minute floor show, ranging from singing to some of the loudest parrot screeks I've heard to date, to running thru his sayings and laughs. But thats it, he is very quiet the rest of the time, just talking in his cute little indoor voice.

That actually smoothing when compared to my two U2's.

I do believe it.
Went to a pet shop years ago that had some Cockatoos that were rescue birds to be re-homed.
The screaming was sooo loud both my wife and I left the store ASAP and we both had migraine headaches from the noise.
It's too bad. The store had one whole wall filled with bird toys but I don't plan on going back.

krayman

Aug 8, 2020
Media
Hampton Roads, VA
Parrots
DYH, Red Lored Amazon, Blue Front, Congo, Timneh
Yes, I agree with wrench13. I have taken in birds (love birds, quakers, greys, amazons, macaws and cockatiels) over the years and rehomed them. Everyone seems to want African Greys, but Amazons have so much personality. I have found the Red Lored Amazons are also very easy to work with. They usually bond to one person but the ones that I have had were pretty friendly towards anyone. I have just rescued an orange wing amazon, the first one I have taken in and although she has never been handled, she calmed right down and cries for head scratches now and is very affectionate. She won't step up yet but she loves attention. I am hoping I find someone she picks since I can't give her the constant attention and training she need now. I found that Amazons that have been neglected tend to be very aggressive but once they start getting care and attention, they crave companionship.

I don't think taking in an Amazon as your first bird is a bad thing. On the contrary, if you learn about them and their behavior, they can be quite easy to handle. You can't be afraid of the bite, even my sweetest birds will bite once in a blue moon when I do something I am not supposed to do.

OP
Mumzy

Mumzy

Nov 3, 2020
West Virginia
Parrots
None yet!
I fell in love with a bird up for adoption and I'm gonna go through the steps and pay him a visit if everything falls into place!

But it seems like my parents may take some convincing first since I'm still on their property now.. but hopefully I can get things situated. they've always been anti-bird for some odd reason because their "a lot more work then guinea pigs".

I may have to go for a conure or budgie but we'll see!

Thanks! Yea I wasn't sure what would be better for them socially. I want to bond with a bird a lot before I get a second so their attached to me and see me as apart of the family (judging by dog behavior lol) so their just as social with humans as they are fellow birds. I think jealousy is sad too, even with my dogs, I give both attention at once. So I'd never have more than two at a time anyways (only have 2 hands lol) I think a bigger birds durability would be more convincing to my parents than a budgie as well so I'm optimistic about it!

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I fell in love with a bird up for adoption and I'm gonna go through the steps and pay him a visit if everything falls into place!

But it seems like my parents may take some convincing first since I'm still on their property now.. but hopefully I can get things situated. they've always been anti-bird for some odd reason because their "a lot more work then guinea pigs".

I may have to go for a conure or budgie but we'll see!

Thanks! Yea I wasn't sure what would be better for them socially. I want to bond with a bird a lot before I get a second so their attached to me and see me as apart of the family (judging by dog behavior lol) so their just as social with humans as they are fellow birds. I think jealousy is sad too, even with my dogs, I give both attention at once. So I'd never have more than two at a time anyways (only have 2 hands lol) I think a bigger birds durability would be more convincing to my parents than a budgie as well so I'm optimistic about it!

Well, they are definitely the most high maintenance pet I can think of, excluding an orangutan or something. If you live in the same house with them, they will have to be on-board 100% or their cleaning habits/cooking/teflon/ptfe/pfoa use could kill your bird (even if it is not in the same room where it is being used). Did you read the post that I linked above for 1st-time bird owners?

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts