Problem bird

Lillian

Mar 24, 2016
Media
Parrots
Macaws
I have a bonded pair of parrots that I got last year. One of them is fairly easy to handle but the other one is really difficult. By difficult I mean she always attacks me. At first she wasn't as bad, but the more her partner wanted to come to me the worse she's become. The only time she was really good was when I took her to the veterinarian in January, when she had a cold. I warned the doctor that she was aggressive and she made a liar out of me. He thinks she could be a real sweetheart. Meanwhile she's back to her old ways, biting me even when I try to give her a treat.
My birds have their own room with a large playpen, no cage and it is bird proofed. It has a screen door so I can see them a lot. She's now taken to flying at me, or running at me whenever I walk in the room, and biting me to the point she usually draws blood. Earlier she managed to get on the windowsill and couldn't figure how to get down, so I went to help her. As my reward she took a large chunk out of my arm. She's also taken to biting her partner when he wants to take treats from me, or climb on my hand. I've read all kinds of articles and watched numerous videos, trying all kinds of things, to no avail. Honestly I'm completely fed up.
I'm thinking of finding someone who deals with problem birds and giving her away? I really hate to do that as they've been together their whole lives.
Any suggestions? I really need some help here.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Separating a bonded pair is usually very traumatic and problematic for the birds involved. Not something you want to do.

This sounds like a jealous bird issue frankly.

This bird certainly appears to have some mate aggression issues.

OP
L

Lillian

Mar 24, 2016
Media
Parrots
Macaws
So no matter what she will be aggressive? That's not good for me or anyone else, even if I give them to a rescue group.

Piasa

Jan 12, 2016
USA Nomad
Parrots
Beau 20 year old male Green Cheek || Jimmy Bullet 17 year old female white cap pionus parrot
What is your goal for this bird?

If it is to have her not attack you, or not to get bitten, start with the things you can change about what you do. Don't offer her your hand or arm, ever. Use a rope perch or work on stick training her. Perhaps a wing clip to keep her from flying to attack you, at least until you have maintained a working relationship.

Like Birdman said, she is seeing you as a threat to her bond with her mate. You interact with him, and she no longer is in the honored place. Her mate is cheating on her with you.

If you can have a second cage to put her when you need to change food/water and clean her other cage, perhaps do this so you do not get attacked. Hands off, just work on meeting her needs. Maybe you can make friends over time, but remember what has made her angry so you can avoid it. She won't want to be friendly if buttons are being pushed.

Perhaps interacting with the male in a different room where she cannot see if you choose to handle him. If and when you get to a place where you want to handle her, do so away from her cage (territory) and away from sight of the male (preferably out of hearing too).

OP
L

Lillian

Mar 24, 2016
Media
Parrots
Macaws
Yes not getting attacked is the primary goal at this time.
I should have mentioned that I already use a stick for her to step up on, however she lunges down it and has caught my fingers ( I also wear heavy gloves, which she has bitten through ) several times. I almost always take the male out of the room when I want to work with him. Will usually keep him with me on his rolling cart for a couple of hours a day, and neither of them call to each other, and he happily eats during that time.
I'll clip her wings, but at this time I neither have the space or the money for a second cage.
I'm not sure what I'm doing that triggers her aggression, other than handling the male., as my presence alone gets her pissed off. Do you suggest I stop working with either of them? I'm worried that if I do he will end up being a problem also.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Separating a bonded pair is usually very traumatic and problematic for the birds involved. Not something you want to do.

This sounds like a jealous bird issue frankly.

This bird certainly appears to have some mate aggression issues.

Thank you for still being there for the folks that need you! I don't ever want to be in the place where you are now!!

Piasa

Jan 12, 2016
USA Nomad
Parrots
Beau 20 year old male Green Cheek || Jimmy Bullet 17 year old female white cap pionus parrot
Have you tried another form of stick, like a U-shaped set of PVC? You can wrap rope or something she can hold on the bottom of the U. Hold the U upside down and she can step on the rope but the plastic parts are too slippery to climb to get to you.

You could also try to make some manner of dome shield to attach to the stick that covers your fingers.

Most Reactions