Pumpkin has a new friend! *Second Bird*

OP
Ann333

Ann333

Jan 8, 2015
New Mexico
Parrots
--PUMPKIN - male YS GCC. Hatched Halloween Day 2014. Came home Jan. 4, 2015. Started talking in July '15!

-BUTTERNUT- female TYS GCC Hatched in late Jan. 2016 and came home March 14, 2016
Oh no I would never put them together. Pumpkin has a large day cage in the living room and a small finch flight cage as a sleeping cage in the bedroom. Those are HIS and he knows it! Popcorn has a matching sleeping cage for right now until I tame her then I will get her a matching day cage as well. Everyone will have their own toys and space but be close enough to keep each other company.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I just had to put that out there just in case, as I'd hate to see someone copy me thinking it's ok and then end up with an injured bird! It *CAN* be done, but the person needs to know their own birds and take responsibility if something were to happen! :)

And I forgot to include some photos! Silversage mentioned sexing lutinos.... well, black light helps, as long as the bird isn't a pied, too! :D

This is a DNA sexed young male cockatiel under a black light. In these photos, he still has his baby feathers, thus the "female" markings! :)

002.jpg

003.jpg

A lutino pearl would light up even more! An adult male lutino, or lutino pearl, should only light up in the head region (once molting out all their baby feathers and/or pearls!). A lutino pied could potentially light up less....

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
PS, I don't recommend housing cockatiels and conures together! In fact, I had no intentions of keeping Casey, the tiel, with Noel, the conure! But Casey was adamant :rolleyes:, and Noel decided she wasn't half bad, either! ;) In fact, Casey enjoyed preening Noel's head, but Noel never returned the favor! :D

I think we all know it's a bad idea to try to house two different species together, but every once in a while parrots will decide they won't allow us to keep them apart! Flick and the pair of Maximilian's Pionus I used to have insisted on living together (much to my horror), and Cache and Napoleon are loving gentle cage mates now, which goes against all conventional wisdom. I think the key is to follow the rule until the fids declare otherwise :)

OP
Ann333

Ann333

Jan 8, 2015
New Mexico
Parrots
--PUMPKIN - male YS GCC. Hatched Halloween Day 2014. Came home Jan. 4, 2015. Started talking in July '15!

-BUTTERNUT- female TYS GCC Hatched in late Jan. 2016 and came home March 14, 2016
That's awesome! I need to try that!

Most Reactions