Question about moving the birds

Kiryon

May 19, 2013
Media
Canada
Parrots
Cockatiels - Oz & Kaila
Hello, I recently moved into a new apartment, its a small 1 1/2 so basically just 1 room with a bathroom.

Now I need to move the birds here but I'm worried about 2 things

1. Them being so close to the kitchen. I got a brand new ceramic coated pan that was advertised as ptfe and ptoa free and I can use the stove fan and, if needed, a large window in the kitchen.

Wondering if theres any danger there.

2. My ceiling started leaking. So now I'm also worried about this water damage involving eventual mold formation. The landlord also hasn t gotten back to me so I got no idea what he'll do about it and I know nothing about these kinda thing so is it gonna involve dry wall, paint? I don't know.

I'm a little stumped about what to do, I can't help but feel this may not be safest place right now for them... My parents have been taking care of them so far...

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
Is it too late to get a different unit?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OP
Kiryon

Kiryon

May 19, 2013
Media
Canada
Parrots
Cockatiels - Oz & Kaila
I signed a lease.

With my budget I really can only afford a small apartment or a dorm room. I went with the apartment in hopes I could bring the birds but now I'm having doubts. I love my birds very much, but I can't just give up on my dreams either. I didn't know this would happen when I first got them a few years back.I had no intention of going to uni at the time...

So now I'm just so worried about them getting sick in this new place and I already feel guilty because I know I won't have as much time to play with them between school and work :(

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
I signed a lease.

With my budget I really can only afford a small apartment or a dorm room. I went with the apartment in hopes I could bring the birds but now I'm having doubts. I love my birds very much, but I can't just give up on my dreams either. I didn't know this would happen when I first got them a few years back.I had no intention of going to uni at the time...

So now I'm just so worried about them getting sick in this new place and I already feel guilty because I know I won't have as much time to play with them between school and work :(
Talk to your landlord, let him know. Maybe say that you're allergic to mold and the potential health risks would give you a medical reason for breaking the lease. The damage has occurred since you signed the lease I imagine? Find out what he's willing to do. The apartment you agreed to lease didn't have water damage, so this is a change of condition on his side of the deal.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Yes speak to your landlord he has a responsibility to you and in the meantime any pots and pans that are questionable DO NOT USE for the birds sake. If they are with your folks for now maybe they are better there until things level out a bit? Hope they are bird savvy people and know what is a danger to birds?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Check with the City /Town regarding rental agreements! The foundation of a Lease or rental agreement is that both parties come together and enter the agreement. From the Landlord side, they have to meet specific requirements as to the 'readiness' of the apartment, i.e. the apartment meets and is maintained to the code requirements of the local government.

Being free of Mold is common in North America.

That said, you stated that the ceiling just started to leak. You are required to 'NOTICE' the Landlord and the Landlord is required to act within a specific number of days from that NOTICE. So, visit your local City government offices and get answers to your questions. STOP: First read your Lease Agreement with an understanding of your responsibilities as well as the Landlords.

Leases are easily broken for failure of either party to act within the guidelines. Just assure that your follow the requirements of NOTICE and other requirements of the Lease.

Most all Leases and the Law in general are currently heavily weighted to the Tenant.

NOTE - 1: If there had been heavy rains in your area, this may have caused to some level the roof to leak. If you are now enjoying a period of dry, Sunny and hot weather. that leak may have dried.

NOTE - 2: Commonly NOTICE is required by either or both Voice and/or Certified Mail.

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
I love my birds very much, but I can't just give up on my dreams either. I didn't know this would happen when I first got them a few years back.I had no intention of going to uni at the time...(

This is why we so often advise younger people: don't get a parrot just yet. It's nearly impossible to guess what the future will bring, but the farther along the path you get, the more predictable things get. Nothing is certain but change at any age, but changes come faster when we are young.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
If your landlord will not fix the water issues, are there other units available? As others have posted, use local laws to compel compliance.

The safest pots/pans are metal without coatings. While some are manufactured without harmful temperature-critical coatings, you ought use extreme caution. Deadly fumes are released at high temperatures, so cooking with a low intensity with proper ventilation is best.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
IMO Sailboat had the best response your londlord has to provide a habitable place to live...BY LAW. He might dick around and screw you with a no pets clause or something but if the place is UN-inhabitable, and yeah a leaking roof counts......then the lease is pretty much null and void.

I'd start looking for another place. Take pictures of the leaks and all problems with the place. All you have to do is say you have the pictures and he won't dare take you to court as he'd be owing all your back rent. Write the date on a piece of paper or get a newspaper with a headline for a time stamp.

As for the pots.... get copper bottom pots, what are you a heathen? Don't you know how to make the perfect soup or souffle? I wouldn't even make mash potatoes in those crap pots. Ceramic is safe but copper bottom is where it's at.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
The disclosed location of the OP is Canada. Any members aware of Canadian rental laws?

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).

Most Reactions

Latest posts