Question about my Blue & Gold

rsaskey

Feb 1, 2012
Parrots
Blue & Gold - Echo
Hello everyone I have a Blue & Gold Macaw named Echo. She is a lil over 6 months old and doig good. My question is that she produces a lot of dust and she is shedding soft feathers like probably he baby feathers. Is there something I can do about the dust or is this normal.

MaraWentz

Banned
Banned
Mar 27, 2012
Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots
Red Front Macaw, Elvis, 10,male RIP

Red Front Macaw, Erin, 1.5,female

Goffin Cockatoo, Blossom 2,female Rehomed

Blue & Gold Macaw, Oscar, Male, 21 years old, Rehomed

American Bulldog Mix,
Dust comes with the bird... we all wish we could change that. My advice is to dust weekly or you may have a fine white sheet of dust all over by the end of the month. The white soft feathers shed at different times of the year. Some birds only shed once a year. Its what's referred to as molting. Nothing to worry about. You can mist her with a spray bottle daily to help her molt. We spray our bird daily because it helps her not over preen and with broken feathers.

MaraWentz

Banned
Banned
Mar 27, 2012
Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots

American Bulldog Mix,
Oh by the way, Echo is such a cutie pie. She is so adorable!

OP
rsaskey

rsaskey

Feb 1, 2012
Parrots
Blue & Gold - Echo
Thank you. I will try and post some more updated Pics soon. I give her a bath in the shower once a week. Should I bath her more often?

MaraWentz

Banned
Banned
Mar 27, 2012
Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots

American Bulldog Mix,
Bathe her as much as you desire by not before bed or going outside. We must ours everyday. We'd let her in the shower with us but we want to give her some time. We've only had for for about 2-3 weeks. My last red front got in the shower every day with me! Lol just make sure the showers are an appropriate temperature. I love mine steaming hot but
I had to make the sacrifice :(

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
You should give her a bath more often than once per week. I bath both my birds at least every other day. They take a shower with me and then most of the time they go into their water dishes when they get out of the shower.

This will help with the dust and it has helped with Mac over-preening a great deal.

pamcor57

Mar 22, 2012
Las Vegas
Parrots
B&G Macaws &
Parakeets
I would fine mist her more often as long as the weather permits, and the temp in your home is ok. My B&G was lazy when he was young and would not preen himself on a regular basis.I found out that when I just mist him (even one or two squirts) he would preen his little butt off! And this cut down on the dander and excess pin feathers. He is 9 years old now and he is a proffesional preener. Misting is good for feather health.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Macaw don't create the amount of dust that a Cockatoo makes....Daily bathing would help with the issue and a air purifier will help removing the dust.

triordan

Sep 1, 2010
Maryland
Parrots
Remington~ GW Macaw
Ollie/Olivia~ CAG
I agree with the others, misting and bathing will help, but not eliminate it

OP
rsaskey

rsaskey

Feb 1, 2012
Parrots
Blue & Gold - Echo
Thanks for all the advice. I know it wont get rid of the dust but a lil help would be good. I'm going to start bathing her more often.

Most Reactions