Questions about talking

Nevster

Apr 24, 2012
Media
Hi there guys, I'm just new to this forum and would like to ask for any advice on my beautiful Grand Eclectus Mylo. Mylo has just turned 2 there in March and we have had him since he has been weened. He is a perfectly healthy happy boy who will chatter away in his cage or when he is perched somewhere else in the house, although his chatter tends to be copying noises but as yet no proper words. He will copy the smoke alarm, my fiancés laugh and for about the last year the sound of the word hello without the pronounciation if you know what I mean!

I would just like to know if any of you guys have advice or techniques that could help us to enable Mylo to talk. We do spend pleanty of time talking to him and he has been trained to step up and and also go to the toilet on a stand we had made for him.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

OP
N

Nevster

Apr 24, 2012
Media
Thanks for your welcome and reply JerseyWendy, ill try some of the techniques and hopefully Mylo and I will be having a conversation in no time!

Peeker

Feb 10, 2013
Parrots
Jax-Eclectus
Tina-Eclectus
Ruby-Eclectus
Repeat-repeat-repeat! That's the only advice I can share. I wish I had all the answers. Some of them seem to be more attracted to imitating sounds than words. Some only want to talk when you are out of the room and some want to mumble. Why though? I do not know. Mine are more excited by higher pitched sounds and things that sound happy and fun. Do his eyes pinwheel when you are talking to him? Does he repeat after you at all?

My best talker shows a lot of interest when I talk and will go through talkative times of the day where he will enjoy some back and forth with me.

OP
N

Nevster

Apr 24, 2012
Media
Repeat-repeat-repeat! That's the only advice I can share. I wish I had all the answers. Some of them seem to be more attracted to imitating sounds than words. Some only want to talk when you are out of the room and some want to mumble. Why though? I do not know. Mine are more excited by higher pitched sounds and things that sound happy and fun. Do his eyes pinwheel when you are talking to him? Does he repeat after you at all?

My best talker shows a lot of interest when I talk and will go through talkative times of the day where he will enjoy some back and forth with me.

Hi Peeker, thanks for the reply, yes his eyes pinwheel when we talk to him but sometimes I think it's to see if we have anything in our mouths, Mylo is very food orientated and always wants a bit of what were having. When I'm out of the room he does try to say hello and has nearly got there in a few occasions when I'm talking back to him then he will start chatting to himself or whistling, he is not a shy boy and has always been making some sort of noise. Maybe he is just a late developer, it took him a bit longer to learn to fly compared to the female Eclectus that the breeder had and he still isn't great at holding food in his claw!

Most Reactions

Latest posts