QUESTION'S-Gouldian Finches ?

427HISS

Jan 23, 2012
Nebraska
Hello, my wife looked at a ad of a person selling some Gouldian Finches.

Here's the local listing.

"Gouldian Finches, (Retail cost: $150.00 each) single red head males, one orange head male, $45.00 each, (or if getting more than one, $40.00 each), rehoming fee. Cash only please."

My wife has always wanted these birds, but we don't know anything about them. If any of you have information to share, please do.

Thanks,
Kevin

00k0k_bMGYs50IAQV_600x450.jpg

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel
Hi ^^

Not sure where you are, but here in South Australia they sell for $30-$40 each, $50 at the most.

They are a lovely addition to an aviary, however I haven't owned them myself. I believe they only eat seed and/or pellets. Very low maintenance birds. They aren't cuddly pet sorts of birds, just something to look pretty, make beautiful noises.

Boysmom

Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Ruby- Solomans Island Grand Eclectus ***
Flora- Panama Amazon
In Georgia you can purchase them at bird shows for around $30 each, and if you are buying multiples or a cage also, you can usually get them for $25 each. If they are in good condition and this is what your wife wants, and you have the cash, go for it. They would make a nice gift for your wife, and if you surprise her with them, they might get you a little extra loving from her also. As a woman, it is always nice to have your Hubby surprise you with something you have been wanting.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
lol, retail is always terrible over priced.

If they are in good condition and your wife wants them buy them, but please consider taking them to get a new bird check up to avoid bringing any disease to your current birds.

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
I breed gouldians, and I love them. I always marvel at how beautiful they are.

your typical green back will run you about $50-70, in Canada, so your price sounds quite good.
I prefer them over the other colours, such as yellow backs or blue back as they tend to be more hardy.

males have the more bright prominent colours, where as the females are more diluted, but non the less still very beautiful

females will have a black ring around their beak, providing their face is not black, if it is then you will have to look at her colouring on her chest to see if it's more dilute or vibrant.

males tales tend to be a bit longer than the females.

they love eating mealworms, finch seed, and some canary seed.
good quality egg food can be added for extra protein, but only at certain times of the year

they can eat vegetables, and some fruits, but love leafy greens. they tend to be more picky when it comes to eating healthy food, but if you continue they will eventually grow and love eating it!

Gouldians typically moult early spring(Canada & U.S.) and moult hard. they look and feel terrible. they often sleep most of the day for about a month or so.
nearing the end of their moult, you can start adding egg food for protein.
mating season is usually between July-December

I have a male blueback which cost me $150.00 cdn. ( I just couldn't resist)

IMG_2702_zpsf153bc62.jpg Photo by bmckellar735 | Photobucket

they are highly susceptible to air sac mites, just so you are aware.
It's not uncommon to have any type of finch with air sac mites, due to them being transferred when being fed as chicks. they aren't a problem until they are really stressed or not healthy. If you hear clicking, or wheezing I would seek out an avian vet in a hurry.

you can house them with many various species of finches, and canaries.

OP
427HISS

427HISS

Jan 23, 2012
Nebraska
We did get two of them. I need to get better pics, but their really pretty and funny to watch.

Do they ship well ?

Beebop & Zeebop.

P1040887.jpg

Most Reactions

Latest posts