Quieter parrots

HappyFeet

Apr 9, 2014
Virginia
Parrots
GCC (Happy Feet)
I have a Green Cheek Conure, he is going to be four months on the ninth of this month and he is pretty quiet. We live in an apartment and it's perfect. He chatters mostly at night and occasionally during the day. But even his chatter is quiet. He does let out the occasional screech but only if he isn't ready for bed yet or if I turn the light off too suddenly and he doesn't realize I'm going to do it. But he is very cuddly, quick to learn, he knows how to step up and also learned to wave in the month that I have had him. But definitely keep in mind all birds are different and have their own personalities.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Very much depends on the individual bird. The "quietest" parrot I presently own is my GREENWING MACAW... but that's in part because her needs are met, and she isn't cage.

She was locked up for 8 years. Close her cage doors for a significant period of time, and she goes from the "quietest" birds around to jet engine noise loud.

Jayyj

Apr 28, 2013
UK
Parrots
Alice - Galah cockatoo
My galah is pretty quiet, all things considered. Morning and evening she contact calls a fair bit but it's more of a chirrup than a scream, and she'll alway contact call if I leave the room but even in an apartment it's not anywhere near loud enough for anyone outside the flat to hear. About once a day there'll be a bloodcurdling shriek, which she prefers to do whilst rolling around on her back, but it's over in a second and when it's clearly a gesture of joyful abandonment it's hard to rexent it. Oh, and she gets quite vocal when she hears my keys in the door if I've been out but again, it's a few seconds exuberance because she's happy to see me. Even at full tilt she's certainly nowhere near as loud as many of the birds at the local pet store.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Only other bird I have is a dove, would cooing set a parrot off like another parrot? (could they be out at the same time? I feel like the answer is no, but figured I'd ask)

I think that maybe a quiet household fosters a quiet bird? I mean, if they're surrounded by noise and activity, you can't expect them to be statues :)

I think it's true that the noisier/busier the household is, would be an environment that's going to encourage vocalizations in parrots.

I can't imagine your dove being so obnoxious as to stimulate a parrot to be noisy, but then again, if the rest of the house is noisy, the cooing does contribute ;) I know you said your house is fairly quiet. I think Doves are the cutest little things, but the cooing would drive me up the wall! See - not so much the loudness but the particular sound is what you have to find agreeable to your ears :)

happycat

Mar 9, 2012
Virginia, U.S.
Parrots
Kakariki (Kirby) Cockatiel (Shiro) Jenday Conure (Jojo)
You said big and kakarikis are in no way big, but they sure are quiet! But the noises they do make are, in my opinion, precious!

KeroRocks

Feb 20, 2013
Massachusetts
Parrots
Sheldon-M- GCC |
Cooper -F--Yellow sided GCC | Dori -F- Blue Quaker | Marley -M- Sun Conure | Kero -M- Hahn's Macaw | Sam-M- CAG
|Yara -F- RFM | Boo -F- Red Rump parakeet
I have a very quiet household and very loud birds. Usually when I walk in the house or come downstairs they all start yelling... Like, "Hey mom!" in birdy speak.

I do have a couple that talk, they yell, "Wanna come out" when they see me LOL

My Hahns is a screamer, my Sun conure is a screamer, my Red Front Macaw likes to yell.

The others aren't as loud. My Grey doesn't scream but he likes to make all kinds of sound effects and he talks all the time.

My Quaker isn't that loud but occasionally she'll join in.

My Red Rump parakeet is my quiet little thing. She just sings occasionally.

Most Reactions