re-naming

tabritt

Oct 7, 2013
South Shore, Massachusetts
Parrots
Quaker (kiwi)
Double Yellow headed Amazon (PJ)
Is it a bad idea to re-name an adopted parrot? he's had the same name for 28 years. I don't hate it but he yells "momma" over and over again every time im out of the room and when I come in to talk to him all he will say is "hello" once and then he won't talk anymore. ;)Seriously thinking of re-naming him Stewy because to me its Perfect for him! Only "family guy" watchers will get that, I think :)

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
I'm strongly against renaming naming parrots. They are extremely intelligent, and their names have some significants to them. In the wild certain parrots have been studied and proven to have names created at a you a age, which amazed scientist. People change names, and some birds do fine. My personal opinion is that it's morally wrong to do so with a well cared for bird who knows it's name.

Birds who may benifit from a name change
The bird was abused
the name was only used negative

I've read that when changing a name use the new name as a term of endearment, but still use the old name the majority of the time. You can also use a new name that sounds very similar.

Last edited:

ShellyBorg

Apr 8, 2013
Redding, CA
Parrots
TAG Spirit,RLA Danny,Senegal Damon, Parrotlet Opal, B&G Paris
LOL my Paris does the same thing.
I have only renamed on of my parrots and that is Spirit. He was so abused he would scream his name and say" bad" while throwing him self around the cage. I was reading on how abused children where in some cases allowed to "rename" them self's so mentally they could graps that they where no longer little jimmy who was beat half to death by a parent but John who has his whole life ahead of him with out being held back by there past. With that in mind I started to call him Spirit and would tell him what a pretty bird he was and how nice. Its been over 10 years and when he does something really bad he will still call him self by his old name and say "Bad Bird!" :(

OP
tabritt

tabritt

Oct 7, 2013
South Shore, Massachusetts
Parrots
Quaker (kiwi)
Double Yellow headed Amazon (PJ)
Thanks! It's really not that important. I just didn't know how good/bad/indifferent it might be. I'll keep his name. Depending on what your definition of abused is, I don't think he was abused per say. He lived his entire life in an little shop and didn't seemed to be picked up and touched all that much but other than that he seemed to be loved. Not how I treat my animals but I'm not here to judge. Hopefully with some time i can get him used to being held and doing fun things. I usually take my Quaker with me almost everywhere so he's so well socialized and loves being out and with ppl. PJ it will stay and I'll just work on getting him used to being held and getting him some fresh air! Thanks again!

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
Nika's name used to be Gosha, a male name (Russian). She said it a lot at first, but now says her new words and new name. I want her to forget her old, neglected life, and break all associations with it. Gosha was a neurotic plucked-to-bald miserable bird. Nika is a princess, a spoilt brat, and a rock star. It's worked out splendidly. :)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
We try to keep their names when we get them, but we did change Lola's name and she did just fine. She even say her name within a few days after we called her the new name. She repeats it now and she knows it's her name now. She have not say her old name at all what so ever.

I know people change their birds name when they get them and birds do get adjusted to their new names just fine. Like JoJo our male Eclectus, I believe he was once named Yoshi (In mario brothers) cause he would say it once ever so often. But he was named JoJo when we got him and he'll say his name. Birds are intelligent enough to know if you do rename them and they'll catch on with you calling their new name. But we do try to keep their name the same unless we just really don't like the name.

Jayyj

Apr 28, 2013
UK
Parrots
Alice - Galah cockatoo
The entire six months I was going to visit Alice at the pet shop, she didn't have a name. Then, after I'd put down a deposit and when I went in to collect her, there was a card on her cage saying she was called Rosie. I asked the owner and he said as I'd been asking about what gender she was and who her previous owners were he'd had a look through his records to get the info for me and found the name attached. I tried calling her Rosie a few times to no response, and given my sister is called Rosie I decided it would be better to go with a new name. I guess she'd been six months without being called by name, so perhaps she'd lost the connection with it - but there again coming up to five months she doesn't really respond to Alice either!

kq_fan

Jun 26, 2013
Media
Seattle, Washington
Parrots
Lilo - Female Green Cheek Conure ~ Pal - male cockatiel ~ Pheobe - female cockatiel
Lilo's name was changed lots of times. She was found as a stray and was thought to be a boy and she made frog noises so they named her Kermit. But that seemed like a sad lonely hermit so then it was Poncho. But she's a girl so now its Lilo. Who knows what her name was before! She does great with her name Lilo, she comes to it and says it once in a while. So I would so he can see a new name and maybe he will like it!

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Casey - she was named by her breeder, and although I was free to change it, I kept it.

Bourke parakeet - never had a name, never named her. She is "The Bourke"

Pistachio - came with his name, I am at least his 3rd home, don't know if he's ever had any other names

Faye - She had *at least* 3 previous homes prior to mine. I don't know how many names she has had other than "momma"

Tomi Girl - at least her 3rd home as well... she was previously called "Tom" (hence, Tomi Girl), and before that, I don't know.

Charlie - If you don't count the pet store and his foster home, I am his 2nd owner. He's been Charlie for all 19 years of his life! And he knows his name! He can say "Hi Char-LEE!" and "Charliesaurus!"

Jayde - Her first name was Petey. Her foster mom didn't like it and called her Kiwi. Neither one of us really liked it, but the name, Jayde (from an auto-correct of jenday that came out as Jayden) kind of grew on me... So Jayde it is!

I would have to say that for the most part, the majority of my birds don't care what they are called! Charlie is probably the most attached to his name as compared to all the others.... with Casey probably coming in after him. The rest could probably care less!

Except for the bourke (she's the only one), it's best that they do have names! Otherwise, it would be too confusing to refer to them as "Bird #1", "Bird #2", "Bird #3" and so forth! :)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Here's something Willie does, he calls out all the animals by their name! He calls the dogs, Lola and Dixie, he says his name as well. He knows his name quite well and IF Dixie start to scream he would say Hush Dixie Ann. He loves all the dogs so he calls them over to feed them treats. Lola calls Rocco the husky boy all the time as he's her favorite dog, they give each other kisses.

Mitchan

Jun 24, 2013
Sweden
Parrots
Meg the Indian Ringneck, Drogon the BF Amazon, Leia the Alexandrine, Donnie the YC Amazon
I re-named both of my Sennies (none of them seemed to react to or care about their previous names), and both of them now know their "new" names. Especially Alaska who will beep every time she hears her name lol :)

I did not re-name Nicko though, since he's 15 and has always been named Nicko. He does seem to like his name too.
Meg didn't really have a name before coming here.

:)

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
I have a YN and his name was Judy before he was DNA sexed. He never said his name so I gave him a new name. He doesn't respond to that one either. Maybe I should give him some choices so he can choose his own.:p

Most Reactions

Latest posts