Real life ghost stories...

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
re: REAL LIFE GHOST STORIES...

Not a ghost story per se, but I can relate an event that scared the crap out of me and remains vivid to this day!

In the early 1970's we took a family vacation to Las Vegas. (previously lived there in the mid to late 1960s) Hotel Circus Circus featured a spectacle called "Zambora", a beautiful female that transforms into a vicious ape in about a minute. The audience of approximately 15 was led into a dark room that featured a robust cage containing a very slight and attractive woman. We were warned to expect a ferocious roar and rattling of the cage door in effort to escape; for good measure the facilitator gave it a reassuring tug. The lights dimmed, various sputtering and electrical noises were heard, and the image of a hairy ape literally transformed Zambora! Once the process was completed, the large "ape" moved violently and burst through the "locked" cage. The audience collectively screamed and ran in a panic out the exhibit door! Didn't sleep much that night, and IIRC used a night-light for quite some time!

Some years ago I searched the internet and found evidence of a travelling sideshow that used various lighting techniques and employed mirrors and filters to mask a costumed ape that was superimposed over the young women.

faeryphoebe1

Feb 1, 2013
Media
San Antonio, Texas
Parrots
Trixie, Sunny & Gonzo♡♡♡

These stories are giving me the chills.

Timothy, your story made my hair stand on end. :eek:

Trish, your stories gave me goosebumps!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012

Did he have a hat? My son used to see shadow people when he was young, one man always had a hat and was terrifying.

No, no hat. :)

I did find out from my 'boys' that they, too, had seen him (on more than one occasion). My kids were 9 and 6 at that time, and they shared a room. I had never told them what I saw that night, but one particular evening I heard them whispering excessively, so when I went upstairs I overheard them talking about Shadowman. :11:

Selestine

Jun 18, 2013
Glendale, AZ
Parrots
My beautiful SI Eclectus Zephyr and my handsome B&G macaw Vandal, daughter's Sun Conure Loki and son's GCC Blaze

Wendy, I don't like you right now! :11: Hubby went and had a slumber party with his buddies last night and the kiddos were at their great-grandma's house, so I was home alone and your awful story was stuck in my head >.<

I ended up having to open the shower door while I took one so I could keep an eye out and make sure no freaky shadowmen were lurking in my bedroom. The worst part was, the dogs wouldn't sleep in the bedroom with me.. they wanted to wait at the front door all night to see if their daddy was coming home :17: So I had to sleep with the covers pulled up over my head and my phone in my hand so I could at least hopefully say goodbye to hubby before I was murdered in my bed in case anything came for me.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian

I usually post a warning when I might post something likely to cause to violently expel dry or liquid projectiles when reading a particular post ! ! !

I just finished vacuuming up the mess I made with potato chip projectiles.....

Why would someone fearing some ghostly, entity take a shower, keeping the door open ? ? ?

Were you planning on beating off any intruder with a wet towel or your shower shoes/flip flops.....then what happened to your dogs lounging by the front door ? ? ?

I'm glad my imagination doesn't run amok like some.....what would happen if you heard doors creaking? What about hearing other strange noises during the night ? ? ?

Selestine

Jun 18, 2013
Glendale, AZ
Parrots
My beautiful SI Eclectus Zephyr and my handsome B&G macaw Vandal, daughter's Sun Conure Loki and son's GCC Blaze

Haha.. I wasn't freaked out until I got into the shower. I have one of those like.. warpedish looking glass doors, and a pair of black pants that were tossed over the door of the armoire looked really sinister through the glass! So yeah, I had to open the door so I could see properly and make sure nothing was creeping up on me!!

And if I'd heard any strange noises during the night, I like to think I would have just had the good sense to have a heart attack and expire on the spot rather than continue to suffer.

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella

Another story told to me by a neighbour-lady whose house backed onto ours.

Our neighbour was called Betty and she had five (dreadful) boys. The dreadfulness of the boys is not germane to the story, but I just want to say that when her middle son shot my mare in the backside with a BB gun while I was riding her, I was less than impressed. Actually, I lie: I was very impressed - by gravel - but let's not split horse-hairs about that ...

Anyway, what Betty told me was that each of her boys had, at one time or another, used the back verandah of their house as a bedroom. The room was enclosed but had opening screened windows which made for a cool and pleasant night in summer. One by one, though, each of the boys had elected to move back into the house to sleep after a very short period of 'sleeping out'. Betty never really asked them why, she just assumed they were lonely and preferred to mess in with their unruly brothers.

Good luck came to the family with a respectable lottery win! Of course, the first thing that happened was the back part of the house was torn down and rebuilt to include a big family room and an extra bedroom for the twins to use. While all this was going on, the builders found a few interesting objects in the soil beneath the old verandah. One of the objects was the porcelain decoration from an old brass bed. Another was an old buttonhook used for buttoning ladies' kid boots. The most interesting, though, was a lovely old gold wide wedding band. Everyone was amazed to think it had lain there for at least thirty years and belonged to someone who could probably not be traced. Betty took the ring to the local jeweller's to have it valued and was told it would be sent away to an assaying jeweller and would be back in a couple of weeks' time.

Well, the extensions were finished and the twins moved into their new bedroom. After only two or three nights, they were asking to move back into the old room they had shared with their evil sniper brother, John. When Betty quizzed them about this, the twins shamefacedly said 'The Lady still comes...' The other three brothers all drew in their collective breaths and looked horrified.

'What are you talking about?' asked their mother.

That's how the story came out.

Whenever anyone had slept out on the verandah, a silent lady 'dressed in black like in old-fashioned days' would come and stand in the doorway. She always pointed her finger at the floor and would remain there until someone got up and put the light on. Then, she would suddenly be gone as if she'd never been there in the first place. All the five boys had seen her on many occasions and, of course, the twins had often seen her while together. They were most disturbed that 'The Lady' had returned, even though the old verandah was now gone! The twins moved back into their old room and their parents would occasionally inspect the new back rooms of an evening. Both reported an unusual chill in the air and a draught that seemed to waft about one's legs as if a woman in long skirts had just swept by.

When the ring was returned from the jeweller's, it was pronounced to be worth a couple of hundred dollars in the way that most old gold rings are. Its gold content was high compared to those of today, but as a representative of its time, it was not much to write home about: just a common wedding band. Betty put it on her finger and it fitted loosely, so she wore it.

Now, Betty was a cake-maker and decorator. She made beautiful wedding cakes and won baking competitions all over the place. In fact, she made my own wedding cake (which was chocolate and contained half a bottle of Tia Maria). One afternoon, she was baking and had her hands full of fruit cake batter which she'd been smoothing off the tops of filled tins with her wet hands. Without realising it, the ring came off her finger and was lost. She swears it never appeared in any of the fruit cakes she had made and it never turned up in sweepings from the floor either. It was just gone...

... and so was The Lady! She was never seen again by any member of the family. Everyone assumed she had come to retrieve her ring and was now satisfied.

However, that's not the end of the story!

Years later, when I moved to my current home, I met the family who lived in the heritage-listed house opposite ours. They were very fond of history and had bought the place as a chance to do an historical restoration of it using authentic materials and based on the history of those who built it. This is how they came upon the story of the Brooks family.

The Brooks' were a pioneering family of our area and had been granted enormous tracts of land that covered many hundreds of acres to the west of Newcastle. Most of these acres were covered in market gardens and stone fruit orchards and from these, Mr Brooks made his fortune. He later invested the profits from this into the budding coal industry of the area and made an even larger fortune. He was one of Newcastle's leading citizens of the time and he had three beautiful and eligible daughters.

Now, two of the daughters never married. Their father settled a pleasant colonial dwelling on them and it's still there at the end of our street. It features wide verandahs and a fireplace in every room. The roof has a plethora of chimney pots and passers by still stop to take photos of the curiosity. I remember being taken to visit the Misses Brooks as a young child: it's where I learned to loathe and despise cucumber sandwiches! They were very old then and lived a different life with lace handkerchiefs and doileys and tea trolleys and lavender water.

Well! My neighbour, during her research, turned up a tale about the third and heretofore unmentioned Miss Brooks. It seems she had become enamoured of an Italian gentleman who worked at the market where her father sold his produce. Because of this connection, she had occasion to see the gentleman quite often and before too long they had formed quite an attachment. When she approached her father for his permission to marry, he refused violently, saying she was far too good for the Italian 'peasant'. Miss Brooks was twenty at the time and so it seems she resolved to wait the few months until her twenty-first birthday and then ran off to marry her suitor in Maitland, where she was not so well-known.

No one knows exactly what happened after that, but the elder Mrs Brooks' diary is held by the local Historical Society. There is an entry in May 1883 which said 'My husband twisted the ring from Louisa's finger and threw it forcefully upon the floor. Then, he sent her away and warned her never to return to this house again.'

Soon after the disappearance of Miss Louisa Brooks, her parents moved the entire family to a newly built home in my street. It reflected the Brooks' prosperity and social standing in the area and was described in early articles as 'a superb Italianate villa of stone and brick'. The old home near my parents' place was torn down and the land left vacant. The neighbour, Betty, and her husband bought the land and built their place on it following his return from serving in World War II.

The ring lay beneath the foundations of Betty's house until Louisa came to claim it in the 1970s.

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie

Trish WOW!! Spooky :eek:. I was immersed in this as if I was reading a book! If you have yet MORE stories, do not hold back! That was amazing.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian

Another story told to me by a neighbour-lady whose house backed onto ours.

Our neighbour was called Betty and she had five (dreadful) boys. The dreadfulness of the boys is not germane to the story, but I just want to say that when her middle son shot my mare in the backside with a BB gun while I was riding her, I was less than impressed. Actually, I lie: I was very impressed - by gravel - but let's not split horse-hairs about that

I am impressed that you admitted to getting bucked off, when the ghost story would stand on its own merits ! ! !

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella

I wasn't so much bucked off as left utterly behind as the mare shot out from beneath me. :22_yikes:

kq_fan

Jun 26, 2013
Media
Seattle, Washington
Parrots
Lilo - Female Green Cheek Conure ~ Pal - male cockatiel ~ Pheobe - female cockatiel

One time my parents saw a small girl with a little house on the prairie look and she came and looked at them and walked to the living room and was gone! Then one day we were staying in a hotel and a huge spider thing ran across the floor to a corner and we blinked, it was gone! IT WAS AS BIG AS A OPPOSUM! It was a creepy feel! I remember I was at my grandmas I was going to go and play. It was in the evening and Gus the dog, great time to play in the creek. But then we I heard what sounded like screaming in the barn. Well when that happened Gus growled and whined and was trying to get me away from there. He was scared! And so was I! There wasn't anyone there and we have heard screaming on the hill before almost a faint scream in the winds! 0.0

I never ever wanted to stay there gain!

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie

One time my parents saw a small girl with a little house on the prairie look and she came and looked at them and walked to the living room and was gone! Then one day we were staying in a hotel and a huge spider thing ran across the floor to a corner and we blinked, it was gone! IT WAS AS BIG AS A OPPOSUM! It was a creepy feel! I remember I was at my grandmas I was going to go and play. It was in the evening and Gus the dog, great time to play in the creek. But then we I heard what sounded like screaming in the barn. Well when that happened Gus growled and whined and was trying to get me away from there. He was scared! And so was I! There wasn't anyone there and we have heard screaming on the hill before almost a faint scream in the winds! 0.0

I never ever wanted to stay there gain!

There are tourist attraction haunted hotels, but it's beyond me why someone would pay to do that on purpose!

Last edited:

kq_fan

Jun 26, 2013
Media
Seattle, Washington
Parrots
Lilo - Female Green Cheek Conure ~ Pal - male cockatiel ~ Pheobe - female cockatiel

What used to be where the house is now was an old wagon trail stop!

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie

Thought I'd give this thread a *bump* for Halloween! :46:

Anyone else??

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

OK, here's one I've often heard from my mom, and recently asked for a clarification:

Way back in the early 1940's, my mom and aunt (she's 3 years younger) were young teens playing with a Ouija Board, an alleged portal to "lower" spirits. They "asked" the board who would next appear at their apartment front door. Right after the first 3 letters were identified, a mutual friend came knocking - and he wasn't expected. Yes, those letters formed the first part of his name! They were quite rattled, as was the guy, and they never seriously toyed with a Ouija Board again.

Most of my family is quite sensitive to and accepts the presence of the paranormal to some degree. My maternal grandmother was a voracious reader of cards and tea leaves with considerable accuracy. She knew of and identified my mom's pregnancy that bore my little sister before my mom had any inkling. Keep in mind this was the classic "accident" as mom was 41 and wasn't trying! Many years later, a psychic was holding sessions at our home, and one of our activities was attempting to "fly" a metallic cone. We never got the cone to fly, but my sister walked in one day, saw us concentrating in the living room, and freaked out. To this day she regards this exercise as a seminal event that helped cause whatever difficulties she faces in life. Whatever.......

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie

:eek:!! Thanks for sharing Scott... Gave me goose bumps for sure!

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts

I've been reading this thread from the beginning, fun idea for October, Julie! I don't have ghost story to share, so I'll cheat and share this painting I'm almost finished with. The date is just a coincidence, but I thought it would be fun to add the finishing touches and sign it tomorrow.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie

Wow Allee! That is really a cool painting :D I wouldn't put it in the bedroom lol, but it's very nicely done. Thanks for sharing your talent with us!

Consider yourself lucky having no first hand ghost stories!

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

I've been reading this thread from the beginning, fun idea for October, Julie! I don't have ghost story to share, so I'll cheat and share this painting I'm almost finished with. The date is just a coincidence, but I thought it would be fun to add the finishing touches and sign it tomorrow.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

That's a stunning painting...... was it inspired by a Stephen King character?

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts

Thanks Julie, Lol, this guy won't be hanging on my wall, bedroom or otherwise. He's one of a series of vintage clowns for a media room. It's been a little creepy having him in my studio.

Thank you so much, Scott! "IT" was inspired by a Stephen King character, no pun intended. I used a movie promotion photo for the reference.

Most Reactions