REALLY Worried About the Breeder I Chose!

tman007

Jan 22, 2015
Las Vegas Nv
Parrots
Amos Jenday conure
Andy green cheek conure
Axel Galah
Puck I have to say a big Thank-You I talked to Heather today about getting a female rb2
And after reading all this NO WAY. I almost sent her the $200.00 dollars. I as well will keep looking.
Thanks again for the infromation,

OP
Puck

Puck

Mar 8, 2015
Hi guys I wanted to say that Colorado Cockatoos kindly refunded me the full amount, including the deposit. I certainly think this is a case of uneducated breeders really thinking they are doing right, because I had no problem getting my money back one I explained my situation and asked kindly. I personally don't feel their breeding is up to my standards, but I do believe they probably have good intentions and are not meaning to sell people babies not raised right--I think it is more likely that they really believe they are doing the best for the babies, even if more experienced people know better. So I want to make sure that anyone reading this thread knows that I am only questioning their ability to raise babies, not their integrity. She told me upright without trying to hide it that she didn't know much about birds fledging, she offered to try and learn, and she fully refunded my money the same day I asked her to. Know I will set out in my search for a baby much more prepared and talk to several people on the phone asking questions about the upbringing before I make my choice. I have definitely learned something from this experience and hopefully other people buying from a breeder the first time who are reading it will not make my mistakes!

OP
Puck

Puck

Mar 8, 2015
Puck I have to say a big Thank-You I talked to Heather today about getting a female rb2
And after reading all this NO WAY. I almost sent her the $200.00 dollars. I as well will keep looking.
Thanks again for the infromation,

Just to help you out, here have been the results of my search so far. No biases toward any, just where I have found that they are available. :)

Brightwood Aviaries: no longer breed RB2s

Malzano's Parrot Place: have 2 babies that they personally did not breed but are hand raising using abundance weaning

Aves International: has RB2s, has been raising them
for 25 years, recommended by forum member

M&D Bird World: has babies, forum member recommended

Birds by Joe: should have RB2s in a couple of months

Birdfarm.com: has 10 month old male RB2 and 2 babies

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Hi guys I wanted to say that Colorado Cockatoos kindly refunded me the full amount, including the deposit. I certainly think this is a case of uneducated breeders really thinking they are doing right, because I had no problem getting my money back one I explained my situation and asked kindly. I personally don't feel their breeding is up to my standards, but I do believe they probably have good intentions and are not meaning to sell people babies not raised right--I think it is more likely that they really believe they are doing the best for the babies, even if more experienced people know better. So I want to make sure that anyone reading this thread knows that I am only questioning their ability to raise babies, not their integrity. She told me upright without trying to hide it that she didn't know much about birds fledging, she offered to try and learn, and she fully refunded my money the same day I asked her to. Know I will set out in my search for a baby much more prepared and talk to several people on the phone asking questions about the upbringing before I make my choice. I have definitely learned something from this experience and hopefully other people buying from a breeder the first time who are reading it will not make my mistakes!

Im glad to hear it. most bad breeders aren't trying to be bad in my opinion; they just. Don't. Do. The research. If you stick around long enough, you may reed extremely long posts by me trying to convince people that they are not ready to breed. I don't try to convince them NOT to breed, just that they are NOT READY. A lot of people are offended, but I love their birds too much to say nothing. Parrots are such complex creatures. Even a domestic dog or cat can be permenently damaged by being born in a home that hasn't researched, even if raised by a mother. How much more a wild animal with such night intelligence being raised more often than not by a species not his own? You make my heart glad with your choice to find a different breeder. I so often hear people make excuses for this kind of thing by saying every bird needs a homer and buying anyway. YES every bird needs a home, but when you pay money to someone doing it wrong, you are insuring they will keep doing it wrong, and more babies will be produced and hurt. Good for you! I hope you find your baby! I wish I had a direction to send you.

95talongirl

Jul 24, 2012
IL
Parrots
Blue Front Amazon, Mopar
Hawkhead Parrot, Maverick
You know, the silver lining in this is that this breeder may now take what she's been given and learn from it!

And if she does, the. Its a win for everyone involved. :)

OP
Puck

Puck

Mar 8, 2015
So just an update, I have decided to go with Brandon at Melzano's even though it is an affiliate of the Parrot Place and not a literal breeder. I spoke on the phone to several galah breeders, and I like what Brandon had to say the best. He abundance weans, lets them fully fledge, will not be cutting my birds wings, asked for my birds name so that he can teach it to him during socialization, fully discloses his very safe shipping procedures, and will be socializing my bird in an environment (his home) similar to the one I live in, including having dogs and socializing them with both genders and children. He only sexes on request so it's a coin flip what gender I will get, but honestly I just prefer males for personal reasons (I always name inanimate objects like Cars or bikes or stuffed animals boy names). I don't know exactly when he will be fully weaned, but I am looking at 10-12 weeks before he comes home, unless he needs more time. I am happy with my decision and think it will turn out well. It definitely is worth it to take the time and question breeders extensively before purchase!!!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I'm so happy you got a full refund, and that you have found someone you feel comfortable with to get your long awaited baby from:)
I can't wait to see pictures!!!!

Lullx

Mar 6, 2015
Central New York
Parrots
Nephele - Baby CAG | Genevieve & Phaedrus - Green Cheeks | Lucy - Lutino Cockatiel | Ludo, Zero & Anzu - Budgerigars
Puck, I'm so happy to hear about your update! This one sounds like a winner :D Looks like we might be bringing our babies home around the same time!

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
I actually looked into becoming part of the Parrot Place franchise because of our frequent moves. I did a lot of calling and talking to people, and they come in good and bad, just like breeders do. If you found a good one that might be the PERFECT solution. The PP people also have the benefit of not being "distracted" from the weaning and socializing by all the "breeding" work. Did you ask him if he will harness train? I'm working on pin pointing, but I think I've discovered the best time to introduce a harness is before the pin feathers break.

OP
Puck

Puck

Mar 8, 2015
I did not ask him because until I saw your posts I didn't realize people started that young! I will ask him, though! :)

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
I don't think most people do start that young; which is why most people struggle so hard with it. For me, it makes sense to introduce the harness at a time when EVERTHING is new, so just because it is new doesn't make it a threat. They are still figuring everything out, they are at such a key stage of development! The more I learn the more I am convinced that a lot of our problems with parrots go back to developmental stages, and what the bird should be learning at what time. Yes, they can learn things later, but it is much harder for them.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Lol I just noticed that your Quaker is a demon in your signature! Lol! To perfectly true! I love them though, I had them as a kid but my mom made me get rid of me, which is why I never encourage kids to get parrots. I was heartbroken.

OP
Puck

Puck

Mar 8, 2015
Lol I just noticed that your Quaker is a demon in your signature! Lol! To perfectly true! I love them though, I had them as a kid but my mom made me get rid of me, which is why I never encourage kids to get parrots. I was heartbroken.

Hahaha yes my Quaker actually has his own Facebook page where "he" basically reposts everything I post about him from his point of view (referring to me as his "Chief Slave"). Like I put "Sammy and I enjoying a nice afternoon outside!" And he reposts as "She calls it "enjoying a nice afternoon outside," I call it being stuck in a motherplucking plastic box." Or I post a video of him saying peekaboo and step up and pretty bird and he reposts with "She hears 'peekaboo step up pretty bird,' I hear 'come forth and service my every need, minion slave!'" So yeah, a bit devilish hahaha.

That's so sad about your mom. I agree about kids having birds. I had a flock of budgies living free flighted in my room for awhile as a kid until one flew into the door as my mom shut it and died. That was when my dad built them an aviary. But I was definitely not the one having to care for all those budgies--that fell to my mom, who was scared of budgies. Not great pets for kids. I always think that if people gave them the kind of respect they gave horses, it would be a better situation. I rode hunter/jumper as a kid and you learn fast that you are expected to go above and beyond caring for those animals, that horses require in depth knowledge to keep healthy and happy, and that any injury you receive is not the horse's fault--he is a big, spooky animal and it's your job to be careful, not his job to learn not to kick people who walk behind him. Birds are sort of the same way, but people consider them to be more like dogs while I find them to have a mentality closer to a horse. Perhaps because they are both prey animals?

Wow just realized I got seriously of topic there, lol!!!

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Lol but it's your thread so you are allowed to go off topic! Yeah, horses are a better level of understanding, but even they are domesticated. I worked at a ranch camp as a teenager, but I would have given my right arm to have actual lessons, still would in fact! But the money wasn't there, and with my husbands career a horse just isn't in the numbers :( it has been years since I have even SMELLED a horse, which makes me want to cry just realizing that. But I do wish people understood the commitment, and NO birds do not make good oets for kids! Maybe good pets for parents, but kids are kids. Now, I was obsessed with my pets, and there are other exceptions, but ultimately too often the kid loves the pet, and the family does not, and that ends up with a one or two year old bird out on the streets :(

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
This thread got pasted in another one and I was reading back over it... Puck did you ever get your cockatoo?

OP
Puck

Puck

Mar 8, 2015
No, I didn't get it because I had planned to move to Honduras and Honduras is not cool with bringing in birds. Technically you can with a lot of work, but there is an embargo going on right now, which is why I ended up rehoming Sammy with Allee. I've been living in Honduras for the past three months, but I have really disliked it here (along with getting dengue fever). I am just too much of a "go to work, visit family, classic lifestyle" type and this island where I am living is very much a bohemian rhapsody. My partner, who I moved here to be with (she got a job at a resort), loves it, and we have decided we are going to part ways so I can return to my family and the house I own in Texas. She really didn't have anything tying to her in America, while I had a whole life. Plus she enjoys drinking on the beach all the time much more than I did! At least I can say that I tried, right? ;) I may get a galah in the future, but thanks to the moving costs it's a no go right now. I am going to get a sunny from T&D Aviary when I return (I will be back in Texas next week) since Sammy is so happy in his new home with all of his new feathered friends. I don't want to try and take him away from that when he's settled in so awesomely!

itchyfeet

Nov 1, 2014
Middle Earth
Parrots
Ethyl the cockatiel, Henry & Clarke the IRN's, and Skittles the lovebird (my daughters)
Lol not only has he settled in well, he's probably learned a few more choice greetings too ;) Allee?

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Hehe, you'll be happy to know, Sammy's vocabulary remains spotlessly clean in spite of Harry's attempted influence.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Oh I see, I must have missed that transition. I'm sorry things didn't work out as you hoped, but yes, at least you can say you tried and you don't have to wonder about "what if." Also, sad you had to part ways with your baby, but what a great home you were able to find! And I applaud your sacrifice to let him stay settled and not be more confused by bringing him back. We all know Allee seems to have a special place in her heart for Quakers :) Funny, isn't it, how certain species just click with certain people?

Most Reactions

Latest posts