REALLY Worried About the Breeder I Chose!

OP
Puck

Puck

Mar 8, 2015
Which reminds me: Allee, when I get back I have the key chains with Sam's two different microchip numbers that I had him chipped with when I was still trying to take him with me. I will give them to you and try to figure out how to change his registration.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Thank you, Michelle. I've never had a parrot microchipped. I know with dogs, you have to send them something in writing with the name and address change. I still can't believe they chipped him twice, he's just tiny. We won't tell him that, he thinks he's HUGE.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
TWOOO???? Was it intentional?

OP
Puck

Puck

Mar 8, 2015
Yes. The first microchip they put in isn't internationally readable (it can only be read in America and Canada), so I had to have him chipped a second time to get an international Pet Passport for him. (Otherwise he would have been stuck in customs if I had tried to take him since the chip wouldn't be readable.) They refunded my money since I TOLD them the reason I needed him chipped was to take him overseas, but I was still REALLY pissed about the whole thing. I went to a different vet for the second chip. One is in his back, the other in his chest. He was actually a darn good sport about the whole thing, taking it in a stride, while I had a break down sobbing about "my poor baby having to go through another ouchy."

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
That's the reason our dog has two chips, because you need the international one for Hawaii, and the chip he came with was not that one... They can put them in the back? Is it under the skin or in a muscle?

annierose

Mar 19, 2019
rural kansas, usa
Parrots
watching baby Piper grow
i'm sure nobody is reading this thread anymore, but i came across it yesterday and was concerned, because i am purchasing a rose breasted galah baby from colorado cockatoos. almost all breeders, and unfortunately, most bird caretakers - clip wings.

after weighing all of the pros and cons and drawing on previous experiences, i couldn't talk my conscience into accepting that i would receive a baby with clipped wings - without at least attempting to prevent the procedure from being done. animals are as different as people, and i'm sure there are probably precocious and rambunctious birds that are a danger to themselves despite great efforts in training, but i think that the weanling stage is a critical point in a bird's life for both psychological and physical development - sort of like human babies needing to crawl, explore, and walk holding onto things before attempting to run. how many birds fly into things because their wings had been clipped in the past - especially at that critical development stage? birds are very smart, but they also must be physically skilled and psychologically comfortable in their flying abilities. i also think that birds with clipped wings are more apt to preen and pull their feathers out. if that's true, then there is a detrimental psychological effect. with galahs, becoming overweight and developing fatty tumors is a known risk. they need the exercise from flying - if only for very short distances in a confined space.

i called heather and asked her if my new baby would have clipped wings, and she said "yes, unless you tell me that you would prefer that i don't do that. not clipping wings results in a little more work for me, but really, i don't mind." she was very gracious about it.

so i will introduce this baby into my home in a safe room first. i might even pad the walls. lol galahs are expensive! when i'm sure he or she feels comfortably at home and can safely fly from one perch to another and not be easily panicked, i'll increase his or her freedom and independent playtime space to the other rooms in my house.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
I’m so glad to hear this!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
I second that :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts