Recipe

jessphoenix

Nov 13, 2016
Hello Everyone!

Wondering if anyone has some good recipes for chop or treats they feed their conures?

What do you guys use at treats when training?

:rainbow1:

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Not a conure owner anymore but training treat for my ekkie is cheese. It's his kryptonite and he will chase you down if he sees you jhave cheese. So for this purpose I use cheese for introductions. Higher motivation means faster leaps in achievement in a shorter amount of time.

Cheese shouldn't be used long term because of potential for cholesterol issues among other things. It's not good for them. But small amounts as a treat for one or two sessions is fine.

From there I move on to either popcorn, walnut bits (what is sold in the baking aisle for toppings), or lately small chunks for pistachios.

It's important you find what motivates your little guy. His favorite thing in the world becomes his training treat and he only gets that food item when he successfully completes a trick. Never outside of training.

Notdumasilook

Jul 28, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon, Cookie..Sun Conure..lil Booger (RIP) Have owned Parakeets, lovebirds, cockatiels, cockatoos, pocket parrot, and quakers.
For goodies I give sliver almonds.. walnuts, pecans, and pine nuts. For "chop".. I get frozen green peas, butter peas, crowder peas, the fresh apple, pear, carrot, and sweet potato, squash, etc... I nuke the peas a bit, let them cool then add the other stuff in a Tupperware for the fridge. I make this bout every 3 days or so and feed em daily at suppertime.

Most Reactions