Regurgitated clear mucus???

cosmothebirb

Jul 3, 2023
Media
Parrots
green cheeked conure
Hello. Today I come to you a bit worried. I overslept a bit today and Cosmo got an extra 2 hours of sleep, although i doubt that has anything to do with it.

He has been very tired the entire morning, he won't leave my shoulder and isn't as curious and playful today. Maybe he really is tired, but I can't help but worry.

I woke up and put him on my bed like I usually do, we cuddle every morning after waking up. He started regurgitating and I was like okay he's getting frisky, I moved away and let him do his thing but he kept flicking his beak, and after a bit I saw like clear mucus splattered around and on his beak.

Another thing is he came out of his cage and his head and beak were all orange and messy, from his pellets (they're orange). His nostrils were also orange, so my best guess is something bothered him and he wanted to get it out, but I still feel better to type it here.

I will come back with updates about his energy levels

Attachments

• 91B7E71D-C9E7-4ED5-B5C4-922BCA68DFF8.jpeg
    91B7E71D-C9E7-4ED5-B5C4-922BCA68DFF8.jpeg
    360.5 KB · Views: 19

RingneckRave

Aug 16, 2023
NSW, Australia
Parrots
Bluey - Indian ringneck
Sunny - Indian ringneck

Conny - Sun Conure (my sister's bird)
Soon to own a second sun conure
Oh dear, I'd definitely suggest see an avian vet as soon as you can. I'm under the impression he is sick, this does not sound normal.
Regurgitation is more controlled, but flicking around and splattering, that sounds like vomiting. Sudden tiredness and demotivated to play is also a sign he may be lethargic. Birds try to hide their illness as well as they can until they can't anymore, so it can be hard to know if a bird is sick sometimes.

And even if you return with tests done that show no results, you can still sigh in relief that he'll be okay.

How is he doing now?

OP
cosmothebirb

cosmothebirb

Jul 3, 2023
Media
Parrots
green cheeked conure
Oh dear, I'd definitely suggest see an avian vet as soon as you can. I'm under the impression he is sick, this does not sound normal.
Regurgitation is more controlled, but flicking around and splattering, that sounds like vomiting. Sudden tiredness and demotivated to play is also a sign he may be lethargic. Birds try to hide their illness as well as they can until they can't anymore, so it can be hard to know if a bird is sick sometimes.

And even if you return with tests done that show no results, you can still sigh in relief that he'll be okay.

How is he doing now?
he is still tired, just sleeping on my shoulder. i also thought about taking him to a vet, i will do that as soon as possible

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
100% agree, see a Avian Vet ASAP. By the time birds show outward signs of illness, they are already very sick, because they hide the signs so well. Sounds like some type of infection but let your Avian Vet diagnose and treat him. GoodLuck!

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Poor Cosmo. I agree with the above that I'd get him to a vet ASAP. Keep us updated on how he's doing 🙏

Most Reactions