Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Thanks krayman, Flboy and terry57; I sorry I haven't been logged in lately. Have been playing with a new computer and monitor (it's not a windows system either) and just checked in on it.
Yes krayman, I am interested and sent you a pm. jh

Yay from me too. At first I had "NO" idea how expensive birds are now days. Its something I should have researched, so to still be offered such a bird is astounding in itself. Now I must make arrangements for someone to replace me (in case my calendar, expires) I want to Thank those of you who stood up for me too. Although there are a lot of flipper type's around and I often felt pointed at, it took awhile to realize, I wasn't being singled out; every time. Now all I need to do, is clean this room (i stopped) and go get my new buddy. jh

You're welcome for me forwarding the PM to you, but that is just a part of the Moderator job. I want to make clear that because we forward a PM it does not mean that we are endorsing anyone. In fact, speaking personally, I have many reservations about this. I'm not trying to be rude, but I am truly concerned about whether a bird you get will receive proper vet care because of the cost, when money seems to be an issue. The lack of planning in case the bird outlives you, which seems to be a definite possibility based on your age and how long larger parrots live is also a concern. I am no spring chicken myself, and made plans for my birds prior to taking them in in case something would happen to me and my husband.
Birds are expensive even without an upfront rehoming cost, and if a rehoming fee isn't possible then I question whether the necessities are out of reach as well. I know others have endorsed you wholeheartedly, but I cannot join them. I raise these issues not to be offensive to you, but in defense of birds who have no one but us to speak up for them.
I can definitely understand wanting a bird, as they bring joy to our lives. I just feel that what is best for that bird should take precedence over that.
With this being said, I do want you to feel comfortable here to ask for help if you do take this bird into your home, but I couldn't live with myself if I didn't bring up my concerns. My only goal is for birds to have a chance at the best life possible.

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
2 umbrella Cockatoos One male named Cooper and female named Baby 1 Little Corella male named Frankie and have 5 Cockatiels three named Male named Pepper, Fiesco for the female and female named Wylie.
Thanks krayman, Flboy and terry57; I sorry I haven't been logged in lately. Have been playing with a new computer and monitor (it's not a windows system either) and just checked in on it.

Yay from me too. At first I had "NO" idea how expensive birds are now days. Its something I should have researched, so to still be offered such a bird is astounding in itself. Now I must make arrangements for someone to replace me (in case my calendar, expires) I want to Thank those of you who stood up for me too. Although there are a lot of flipper type's around and I often felt pointed at, it took awhile to realize, I wasn't being singled out; every time. Now all I need to do, is clean this room (i stopped) and go get my new buddy. jh

You're welcome for me forwarding the PM to you, but that is just a part of the Moderator job. I want to make clear that because we forward a PM it does not mean that we are endorsing anyone. In fact, speaking personally, I have many reservations about this. I'm not trying to be rude, but I am truly concerned about whether a bird you get will receive proper vet care because of the cost, when money seems to be an issue. The lack of planning in case the bird outlives you, which seems to be a definite possibility based on your ag5e and how long larger parrots live is also a concern. I am no spring chicken myself, and made plans for my birds prior to taking them in in case something would happen to me and my husband.
Birds are expensive even without an upfront rehoming cost, and if a rehoming fee isn't possible then I question whether the necessities are out of reach as well. I know others have endorsed you wholeheartedly, but I cannot join them. I raise these issues not to be offensive to you, but in defense of birds who have no one but us to speak up for them.
I can definitely understand wanting a bird, as they bring joy to our lives. I just feel that what is best for that bird should take precedence over that.
With this being said, I do want you to feel comfortable here to ask for help if you do take this bird into your home, but I couldn't live with myself if I didn't bring up my concerns. My only goal is for birds to have a chance at the best life possible.
Yep vet bills can add up. I spent about 2k just in vet bills on Baby my u2 alone but that due to injury when she drop grate on herself and broke a chest bone and punction secondary air sack months back thankfully she fully recovered and is flying again and then yearly bloodwork and checkup costs. Then toys you spend several hundred a year as they chew through them quickly. You can make your own which is cheaper.

I hoping this guy can put something aside and is resourceful and not scared to request help when needed? I know he has the knowledge it was the lack of funds I was always worried about. I never thought he was a flipper, even through he probably took it as I did before. Just that birds can be expensive to take care of and can cost more then what people typically pay for the bird itself. Typically vet bills without injuries are about $300 to $500 a year and then toys are about $600 to $800 a year unless you make them.

I pretty much half and half, but do know that he been after one for months and has the time to take care of one. It mainly the lack of no funds that worries me, but hoping he have a way to get some money aside in time and is resourceful enough to make it work.

Last edited:

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
... Now I must make arrangements for someone to replace me (in case my calendar, expires) ...

.... The lack of planning in case the bird outlives you, which seems to be a definite possibility based on your age and how long larger parrots live is also a concern. I am no spring chicken myself, and made plans for my birds prior to taking them in in case something would happen to me and my husband. .....

Perhaps I shouldn't jump in -- I don't want to start any sort of arguemnt -- so feel free to delete this if I'm out of line.

Terry your concerns are very reasonable but I do think that life-planning is exactly what JH is referring to with his "in case calendar expires" comment.

(And - short of providing finances for everyone to see, he has said that he can afford to provide care, although not necessarily funds for an initial outlay. I know costs of caring for a bird are discussed in many places on this forum, so it seems reasonable to assume he has done the math.

However, that's not why I'm commenting. I'm only commenting here to point out that you are saying he has no plans for a bird to outlive him, when in fact one of his first comments regarding this adoption, has been that indeed he IS going to find someone in case his "calendar expires.")

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Acquisition costs of a parrot are a tiny fraction of lifetime food, cage, toy, supplementary treat, and miscellaneous discretionary costs. Most significant wild card is veterinary expense, subject to species, genetics, environment, diet, and luck/misfortune.

Every potential parront has economic concern, however a pervasive focus on cost is worrisome. When it becomes a dominant theme across threads in multiple sub-forums over time, we raise red flags of inquiry. Please know our primary concern is for the innocent feathered creatures we adore, discussed without rancor.

Last edited:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)

... Now I must make arrangements for someone to replace me (in case my calendar, expires) ...

.... The lack of planning in case the bird outlives you, which seems to be a definite possibility based on your age and how long larger parrots live is also a concern. I am no spring chicken myself, and made plans for my birds prior to taking them in in case something would happen to me and my husband. .....

Perhaps I shouldn't jump in -- I don't want to start any sort of arguemnt -- so feel free to delete this if I'm out of line.

Terry your concerns are very reasonable but I do think that life-planning is exactly what JH is referring to with his "in case calendar expires" comment.

(And - short of providing finances for everyone to see, he has said that he can afford to provide care, although not necessarily funds for an initial outlay. I know costs of caring for a bird are discussed in many places on this forum, so it seems reasonable to assume he has done the math.

However, that's not why I'm commenting. I'm only commenting here to point out that you are saying he has no plans for a bird to outlive him, when in fact one of his first comments regarding this adoption, has been that indeed he IS going to find someone in case his "calendar expires.")

You're not out of line at all, Jen. We all have our own opinions and it is fine to disagree.

In my opinion, if a person is in their 70s, a plan for what would happen to the birds they may take in should be in place prior to taking in a bird. I also think that thought should be given as to how hard another rehome will be at that time. I am not saying that age should determine whether we take in a bird, as I am no spring chicken myself. However, I think that what is best for the bird should always come first, regardless of what we as people want.

I am certainly not asking for his finances, but since he has stated many times that he can't afford to pay for a bird, I find it only reasonable to question whether he can care for a bird since the original price is far less than the actual care for one is. I would hope that he has done the math in taking care of a bird, but I only have the fact that he has stated that the main criteria for him is a free bird. I would be going against everything I believe in if I didn't mention my misgivings.

I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but the welfare of birds who may be rehomed here on the forum is what I am most worried about. If that means asking the hard questions I am fine with that.

1oldparroter

Nov 4, 2019
Waiteville, WV
Parrots
I am 71, married and fairly private. I have PM privileges but prefer the phone. Printed messages, are so limited. jh
It has taken all day and I have waited for others to comment. So far Terry57, has finally expressed herself and 4 other moderators seem to agree. To them I say, you could have been more direct before, even in a PM, much less requesting my phone number. At least 1 other member caught by reference to the use of "calendar" and others have caught on to my experience with birds and how my own handyman skills, will furnish toys and ways for the bird to forage. Some have gathered that I am cognizant of monetary requirements to keep a bird, altho I really had no idea until recently, how much birds cost to buy or rehome. My attempt was to give a bird a home when a person just wanted it to have a good home. In spite of these moderators and other members personal opinions; I can and will provide well. Mr krayan and I have spoken on the phone and made the arrangements. Because of today and this page of messages, he may change his mind and that's his ritght. In the meantime I will continue to prepare for Pinochio until I am called or messaged otherwise. As far as hurt my feelings goe's; that was done by waiting until now, to tell me what you think. jh

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
2 umbrella Cockatoos One male named Cooper and female named Baby 1 Little Corella male named Frankie and have 5 Cockatiels three named Male named Pepper, Fiesco for the female and female named Wylie.
No one trying to hurt you feelings, but some are concerned about if you be able to cover veterinarian Bill's if needed? I know you are resourceful enough to make it work for the most part. People likely waited now as it getting close to D day and you finally going to be able to adopt a parrot. Yes veterinarian Bill's can cost you $300 to $500 plus a year and that without emergencies, as you have to do yearly checkup and bloodwork. Plus food beside pellets, you have to get fresh fruits and vegetables as part of diet. Seeds very limited as can cause fatty liver and other health issues. More concerned if you be able to take care of the veterinarian cost associated with the bird?

Pretty much can you put a few buck aside needed just in case of a emergency and cover regular cost? Yes agree sure have ask earlier, but figured you considered this already and no reason to ask as you had no bird line up at the time.

Age doesn't really matter as know several older people with birds and know you have the time and knowledge to care for the bird. Worst case you can set a plan in place before hand to have bird go to a new home if need be once your time is up.

Last edited:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
It has taken all day and I have waited for others to comment. So far Terry57, has finally expressed herself and 4 other moderators seem to agree. To them I say, you could have been more direct before, even in a PM, much less requesting my phone number. At least 1 other member caught by reference to the use of "calendar" and others have caught on to my experience with birds and how my own handyman skills, will furnish toys and ways for the bird to forage. Some have gathered that I am cognizant of monetary requirements to keep a bird, altho I really had no idea until recently, how much birds cost to buy or rehome. My attempt was to give a bird a home when a person just wanted it to have a good home. In spite of these moderators and other members personal opinions; I can and will provide well. Mr krayan and I have spoken on the phone and made the arrangements. Because of today and this page of messages, he may change his mind and that's his ritght. In the meantime I will continue to prepare for Pinochio until I am called or messaged otherwise. As far as hurt my feelings goe's; that was done by waiting until now, to tell me what you think. jh

Dear members, 1oldparroter has expressed a desire to be contacted directly by the Mod team via PM, and this has taken place tonight.

Last edited:

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
1oldparroter!
I see this as the ultimate Cinderella story for you! Oh, geez, you running down the stairs, loosing your glass slipper!
That doesn’t mean there aren’t concerns! You go to a wedding, you wish the bride and groom well in their new union! Why, you think they are a bad match? No! You are concerned for everyone’s welfare!
Pinocchio may hate you with a passion beyond belief! Veterinarians near you aren’t well versed in parrot care and needs! If you have to go to the city, then you face the insanity of what these yuppies have done to the local economy!
I hope your feelings heal quickly! If you were making up a pros/cons list objectively, I think you would have many of the same worries! Heck, when I got my JoJo, I was a basket case for two weeks! My daughter got him for me—without consulting me first! The rest of the family was furious with her! Me too!
Before I recognized my panic attacks for what they were, I thought I had developed a heart condition!
This isn’t rain on your parade, it’s rain for growth! You are part of a family that cares! Deeply! Yup, Pinocchio takes priority in that love! Us humans need to just suck it up and be an obedient slave!

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
Terry.

And, everyone else here who engages in Rich-People-Only prejudice:

Your Math is Faulty.

I am referring not only to this discussion with 1oldparroter - who I believe has proved himself as far as anyone can in an online forum-type discussion such as this - but also to ANYONE who has the love in their heart to Care for a bird but who cannot afford BOTH a large Initial Outlay AND then still have a secure monetary Backup.

---FIRST of All -- he's been looking for the opportunity to help a parrot for something like a year or so now. WHY would he lihe up actual end-of-life parrot-care bird that, up until now, was Not appearing? Clearly he knows it was important, it is one of the first things he mentioned now that there is a Reality of a Bird. So this is entirely unfair! ---

Second and Most Important. FAULTY MATH.

WHY is it that somehow an INITIAL OUTLAY of funds somehow Proves ones' monetary responsibility? How can you not conceive that a person can have a Backup Fund -- Emergency Fund -- or Maintenance / Veterinary / Daily Needs Fund/Budget which might be Entirely Adequate but WHICH if it must be Depleted for the Original Outlay == would THEN become INsufficient??

THIS is exactly the monetary situation 1OldParroter has been describing All Along. Consistently. He has not varied from this.

WHY should Anyone assume that, despite all appearances to the contrary, somehow -- just because he knows His Own math and has calculated the an Original Outlay would deplete his backup more than would be safe for the parrot -- WHY THEREFORE ASSUME that HE does NOT know his own math?

This is just unfair. ALL i can think is that people here believe that Only Rich People should own parrots. Plenty of people who do Not care so as he does, to hang on for all this time waiting for a bird. We KNOW that jh knows the sort of care a bird requires. There are plenty of rich people who can "Afford" a parrot, and get one and stick it in a room somewhere or rehome it due to the noise.

When he has stated Over and Over that, YES, he has the funds to CARE for a parrot.

WHY NOT BELIEVE HIM? It is only prejudice against Not having SO MUCH money on hand to be able to BOTH afford an INITIAL Outlay and STILL have the money to pay for care. IN other words it is prejudice against Not-Rich People.

I still dont get it. I guess I am rambling. But all I see is RESPONSIBILITY on 1oldparroter's part.

He has Calculated that an INITIAL OUTLAY would cut too deeply into his available CARE FUNDS, and has determined that IF he must make the Initial Outlay, THEN he would not have the funds.

BUT IF IF IF he does NOT have to make that INITIAL cost Outlay, then he WILL have those funds remaining to be able to CARE for the bird.

He has Done the Math. He has told us so repeatedly without wavering. WHY SIMPLY DISBELIEVE HIM?? ALL I can think is that some people on this forum have Never had a Tight Budget. Or that it is better for Rich Folks with No Money Concerns to just buy birds for decorations & stick them in closet,, to Avoid someone who Knows what they're in for but has to watch their funds closely, taking a Risk on Loving a bird.

-- 1OLDParroter, on the assumption that you have indeed been telling us the TRUTH All This Time about the precise state of your Resources, I certainly Hope you have Not been convinced against getting this parrot you have waited for so long. I have been praying for months that indeed a bird in need of a home would come to you, and I hope this is it, and I pray for good blessings on the Both of You.

-- Krayman, 1oldparroter has expressed a concern in his post above that some of the doubting comments above may have changed your intent regarding these arrangements. For my part, I sincerely hope that you and parroter do go ahead with rehoming the bird to him. As far as can be judged of anyone, from what is learned via online-only-forum, I believe him indeed to be able to (1) Care for the bird properly and with Love and (2) PROVIDE FOR THE BIRD -- as he has repeatedly stated to us that he can do so.

Last edited:

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
Terry.

Your Math is Faulty.

I am referring not only to this discussion with 1oldparroter - who I believe has proved himself as far as anyone can in an online forum-type discussion such as this - but also to ANYONE who has the love in their heart to Care for a bird but who cannot afford BOTH a large Initial Outlay AND then still have a secure monetary Backup.

---FIRST of All -- he's been looking for the opportunity to help a parrot for something like a year or so now. WHY would he lihe up actual end-of-life parrot-care bird that, up until now, was Not appearing? Clearly he knows it was important, it is one of the first things he mentioned now that there is a Reality of a Bird. So this is entirely unfair! ---

WHY is it that somehow an INITIAL OUTLAY of funds somehow Proves ones' monetary responsibility? How can you not conceive that a person can have a Backup Fund -- Emergency Fund -- or Maintenance / Veterinary / Daily Needs Fund/Budget which might be Entirely Adequate but WHICH if it must be Depleted for the Original Outlay == would THEN become INsufficient??

THIS is exactly the monetary situation 1OldParroter has been describing All Along. Consistently. He has not varied from this.

WHY should Anyone assume that, despite all appearances to the contrary, somehow -- just because he knows His Own math and has calculated the an Original Outlay would deplete his backup more than would be safe for the parrot -- WHY THEREFORE ASSUME that HE does NOT know his own math?

This is just unfair. ALL i can think is that people here believe that Only Rich People should own parrots. Plenty of people who do Not care so as he does, to hang on for all this time waiting for a bird. We KNOW that jh knows the sort of care a bird requires. There are plenty of rich people who can "Afford" a parrot, and get one and stick it in a room somewhere or rehome it due to the noise.

When he has stated Over and Over that, YES, he has the funds to CARE for a parrot.

WHY NOT BELIEVE HIM? It is only prejudice against Not having SO MUCH money on hand to be able to BOTH afford an INITIAL Outlay and STILL have the money to pay for care. IN other words it is prejudice against Not-Rich People.

I still dont get it. I guess I am rambling. But all I see is RESPONSIBILITY on 1oldparroter's part.

He has Calculated that an INITIAL OUTLAY would cut too deeply into his available CARE FUNDS, and has determined that IF he must make the Initial Outlay, THEN he would not have the funds.

BUT IF IF IF he does NOT have to make that INITIAL cost Outlay, then he WILL have those funds remaining to be able to CARE for the bird.

He has Done the Math. He has told us so repeatedly without wavering. WHY SIMPLY DISBELIEVE HIM?? ALL I can think is that some people on this forum have Never had a Tight Budget. Or that it is better for Rich Folks with No Money Concerns to just buy birds for decorations & stick them in closet,, to Avoid someone who Knows what they're in for but has to watch their funds closely, taking a Risk on Loving a bird.

-- 1OLDParroter, on the assumption that you have indeed been telling us the TRUTH All This Time about the precise state of your Resources, I certainly Hope you have Not been convinced against getting this parrot you have waited for so long. I have been praying for months that indeed a bird in need of a home would come to you, and I hope this is it, and I pray for good blessings on the Both of You.

-- Krayman, 1oldparroter has expressed a concern in his post above that some of the doubting comments above may have changed your intent regarding these arrangements. For my part, I sincerely hope that you and parroter do go ahead with rehoming the bird to him. As far as can be judged of anyone, from what is learned via online-only-forum, I believe him indeed to be able to (1) Care for the bird properly and with Love and (2) PROVIDE FOR THE BIRD -- as he has repeatedly stated to us that he can do so.

I pretty sure he make it work reason why I recommend to the current owner to give him a chance. I would have never vouch for him if I was prejudice against it. I know he been after one for a year now and definitely has the time, space and knowledge, which he proved. At the same time he did state himself the lack of funds several times and that he didn't know till recently the cost of the bird as value goes gone up and etc? Reason why Terry mentioned it, which she has a valid point, as if he can't afford adoption fees, cost of care can be more then those initial fees as stated earlier. It actually one of the criterias we go over at rescues when adopting a bird out and even do house visits to make sure they are prepared for the bird as well, or donate supplies necessary to get them started.

He make it work as he seem pretty resourceful and hopefully put a few buck aside as time goes on, now knowing costs involved. He likely get his companion he been after first so long and will likely end well.

To be honest I can tell he been around the block and will make it work as he pretty resourceful. No you don't necessarily have to be rich to care for a parrot. I seen people on social security/disability and tight budget take better care of their birds better then some people that are well off. Most birds we get at rescues are from people that are well off that bought birds on impulse and can't deal with noise and destructive behaviour as they leave bird alone in a room as a decoration, then a companion.

Last edited:

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Is it possible to get insurance to cover vets fees, it is now a pre-adoption requirement by the good parrot charities over here? To have to read about a parrot that desperately needs to see a vet but funds don't allow is really heartbreaking.

Can I suggest some formal or even legal paperwork is put in order should the parrot out live it's owner. It is a sensible thing to do to source a caring home should anything happen rather than it be tossed from pillar to post in the care of people who don't know how to care for such a sentient being.

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
Is it possible to get insurance to cover vets fees, it is now a pre-adoption requirement by the good parrot charities over here? To have to read about a parrot that desperately needs to see a vet but funds don't allow is really heartbreaking.

Can I suggest some formal or even legal paperwork is put in order should the parrot out live it's owner. It is a sensible thing to do to source a caring home should anything happen rather than it be tossed from pillar to post in the care of people who don't know how to care for such a sentient being.

You can do a installment plan as well most veterinarian in area use CareCredit program which in area have which break down costs to 6 months, not sure it is available in all areas.

Pet insurance is also available from many 3rd parties. You have to make sure they cover birds and check terms and conditions.

https://www.carecredit.com/

Last edited:

1oldparroter

Nov 4, 2019
Waiteville, WV
Parrots
I am 71, married and fairly private. I have PM privileges but prefer the phone. Printed messages, are so limited. jh
"I" am Johnnie (John) Henry, now 71 and retired on Social Security. Have been given prices to re-home and original purchase prices of birds from $300 to $1500 by individuals, rescues and pet stores; within the past several months (and last couple of days). I have been told (sometime's) that I would also need to furnish a travel cage (sometimes just an ordinary cat or dog travel cage) and furnish my own bird cage. I have had so many people claim that when a cage is furnished, it's usually not the right size or even in fair condition. My wife isn't in really good health and goes to the doctor regularly (tomorrow for instance) and would be bothered by the dander and isn't a big bird fan either. I mention these things BECAUSE of Terry57 and the moderators and others point's and comments;They do have some valid point's. However, they waited until I was offered a bird before mentioning their concern's in a public way and in the vein of, "you don't seem to have considered". So, yes I am a bit upset. I am the eldest of 7 and had 2 step dad's; the 2nd of which, I was with for a few years before I asked if I could call him, Pop. It was o'kay and the other's followed my lead (of their own free will) within in a couple days; up to then we called him by name. Over the year's he claimed to be our dad, as the position of father was already filled. He claimed that he would treat us (and he did) as his own until we got too smart and quit school or went
graduated. He told us this after he became pop. He also told us that 2 weeks after we made our choice about school, was a cut off of staying home for free. Starting the 15th day we would pick up 1/3 of the household bills, to be given to mom. They had my last 2 brother's and a sister and in his lifetime; all of us have been home for more than 2 weeks and we all picked up on household expenses. There were a couple time's it was 2 of us and household was split 4 way's. I have been married 3 time's now and gave our kid's the same speech the day I proposed, because that was her 1st question. I called the kids in and put it to them. The youngest was 12 at the time and didn't think it really applied. She didn't finish growing up and be responsible until a few month's later. Now do you all see why I didn't want to go through a rescue agency? My wife's health isn't so good and I didn't want her going through rigorous house cleaning for a bird I plan to keep in this room or go right outside in a harness or cage. This room will have its' own air purifier and cleanliness, because of the bird's presence. They will be introduced and we'll go from there. Is there anything else, anyone want's to know? jh

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Hun please don't Mod bash, they do a great job and usually allow members to 'help' before feeling a need to contribute. I personally think you have enough on your plate and this isn't great timing. A bird needs to well socialised with as many people as possible not kept in one room. You do realise that you can't just put a bird outside and leave it there on it's own don't you? As someone who has worked for a well respected re home charity in the UK I can definitely say that you would not be accepted. Is this why you don't want to go through a rescue agency, your previous family history is of no consequence and just muddies this thread. So please have a good long think about this being the right decision as having a parrot is not just a feathered thing sitting in a cage by any means. I love mine dearly but have given up lots to have them, simple things like going out of an evening. Your wife apparently has enough on her plate and needs support and help by the sounds of it. What if the bird takes to her and not you? It happens! Please have a long hard think hun?

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
Hun please don't Mod bash, they do a great job and usually allow members to 'help' before feeling a need to contribute. I personally think you have enough on your plate and this isn't great timing. A bird needs to well socialised with as many people as possible not kept in one room. You do realise that you can't just put a bird outside and leave it there on it's own don't you? As someone who has worked for a well respected re home charity in the UK I can definitely say that you would not be accepted. Is this why you don't want to go through a rescue agency, your previous family history is of no consequence and just muddies this thread. So please have a good long think about this being the right d4ecision as having a parrot is not just a feathered thing sitting in a cage by any means. I love mine dearly but have given up lots to have them, simple things like going out of an evening. Your wife apparently has enough on her plate and needs support and help by the sounds of it. What if the bird takes to her and not you? It happens! Please have a long hard think hun?
That one criteria is the family members has to also be onboard to take care of the bird. Birds like to be out where other family members are, not in a room. They are very social creates by nature and if your wife not on board then that a problem. Plus her health is not good as can you have enough to have to worry about. Then the fact you couldn't provide necessary supplies months ago when you tried a rescue is a whole another issue? I would have actually also denied application if you came into the rescue and can no longer recommend you adopt a bird at this time. Don't want to come off as to harsh, as your being honest, but have to consider the bird well being long term.

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

Terry.

Your Math is Faulty.

I'm sorry Jen, allegations of "Rich-People-Only" prejudice is inapplicable to the predominate interlopers within this thread. Please do yourself a favor and scan the posts by John Henry since joining November 2019. He's party to roughly half a dozen abortive attempts to adopt a bird free of charge. During the intervening year every effort is tinged with a bemoaning of financial circumstance. By admission his cognition of acquisition and ownership expense is recent as posted within past three days:

Some have gathered that I am cognizant of monetary requirements to keep a bird, altho I really had no idea until recently, how much birds cost to buy or rehome.

At first I had "NO" idea how expensive birds are now days. Its something I should have researched, so to still be offered such a bird is astounding in itself.

We are having a public dissection of circumstance precisely because JH has interjected doubt. By way of analogy, a person's credit score is less dependent on income and largely based on ability to pay as evidenced by history. In the case of adopting a parrot, initial outlay is good faith demonstration of "credit worthiness." A small token payment is demonstrative of intent, yet JH simply refused any consideration in exchange for a bird.

Bottom line, nobody here can pass legal judgment on JH's ability to acquire, feed, shelter, and maintain health of a companion bird other than the protagonists - JH and a willing provider of flesh and feathers. But you can bet we will continue to discuss the moral imperatives without prejudice and rancor.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

"I" am Johnnie (John) Henry, now 71 and retired on Social Security. Have been given prices to re-home and original purchase prices of birds from $300 to $1500 by individuals, rescues and pet stores; within the past several months (and last couple of days). I have been told (sometime's) that I would also need to furnish a travel cage (sometimes just an ordinary cat or dog travel cage) and furnish my own bird cage. I have had so many people claim that when a cage is furnished, it's usually not the right size or even in fair condition. My wife isn't in really good health and goes to the doctor regularly (tomorrow for instance) and would be bothered by the dander and isn't a big bird fan either. I mention these things BECAUSE of Terry57 and the moderators and others point's and comments;They do have some valid point's. However, they waited until I was offered a bird before mentioning their concern's in a public way and in the vein of, "you don't seem to have considered". So, yes I am a bit upset.

Hun please don't Mod bash, they do a great job and usually allow members to 'help' before feeling a need to contribute. I personally think you have enough on your plate and this isn't great timing. A bird needs to well socialised with as many people as possible not kept in one room. You do realise that you can't just put a bird outside and leave it there on it's own don't you? As someone who has worked for a well respected re home charity in the UK I can definitely say that you would not be accepted. Is this why you don't want to go through a rescue agency, your previous family history is of no consequence and just muddies this thread. So please have a good long think about this being the right d4ecision as having a parrot is not just a feathered thing sitting in a cage by any means. I love mine dearly but have given up lots to have them, simple things like going out of an evening. Your wife apparently has enough on her plate and needs support and help by the sounds of it. What if the bird takes to her and not you? It happens! Please have a long hard think hun?
That one criteria is the family members has to also be onboard to take care of the bird. Birds like to be out where other family members are, not in a room. They are very social creates by nature and if your wife not on board then that a problem. Plus her health is not good as can you have enough to have to worry about. Then the fact you couldn't provide necessary supplies months ago when you tried a rescue is a whole another issue? I would have actually also denied application if you came into the rescue. Don't want to come off as to harsh, as your being honest, but have to consider the bird well being long term.

Respectfully, John, the revelations continue daily. First I've heard in detail your wife's medical situation and stance toward a bird. As plumsmum2005 and ParrotGenie compassionately stated, living with a bird is holistic affair. There is no tipping point for and against adoption, but circumstances should be weighed in favor of the adoptee's welfare. Just food for thought.

1oldparroter

Nov 4, 2019
Waiteville, WV
Parrots
I finally made some admissions of myself; some of you have still managed to take some of those explanations; out of context and turn them to your own advantage. By all means, put my name up in a tab and follow my post's with an open mind. I fail to see nay saying. I hope that krayman calls me soon. The room is almost done and I have no need to hear further comments or have mine taken out of context. The bird would hardly ever be out of my sight and alone btw. jh

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
I sincerely hope he doesn't call you anytime soon! Goodness only knows why you started this thread in the first place, thought we'd massage your ego, thought wrong. We will all put the bird first and in this instance this isn't. I am happy to eat my words sometime down the line but doubt I will need to hun. :-(

Most Reactions