Right side of bird drooping, right eye half closed

OP
R

RainbowRose

Aug 6, 2014
That looks like little pin feathers. Being that they're all coming in at the same time, may have something to do with his squinting. I am just thinking maybe very discomforting that they all poked through his skin at once around his eye? Can't really see his wing drooping. How is his right foot doing?

Ahhh that is what I am hoping they are, they look like tiny pin feathers that is what I thought too. His feet are okay, he never seemed to have any problems there. He still has good grip, just won't sleep on one foot I think because of the discomfort of his wing. The problems appeared to be just the right wing and right eye. Here are some photos from the past hour during his bath. He's damp so it may be a little hard to see but in the second photo you can see how the left wing is tucked up and sleek to the body and the right wing is hanging more.

photo 1.jpg
photo 2.jpg

Earlier in the day it looked like it wasn't hanging AS much, but it's still not sleek to his body. The vet says he has new feathers and quills under his wings too, so maybe it is also just discomfort. Because he lets me grab his wing and he flaps his wings during his bath time and/or if he feels like he might fall if I'm carrying him, so it doesn't appear to be broken.

What do you think of the photos?

Last edited:
OP
R

RainbowRose

Aug 6, 2014
Oh im glad that its only a bath! I thought oh my that bird seems very sick! Fwew ok its a good thing that he is still up for a bath! I hope he gets all better!

Hahaha yes this was him just before his bath, he is okay

unnamed.png

He loves to go all out in the water so he looks really strange afterwards!!!

(On a side note you can see the new tail feather quills here, those are the few that I had mentioned earlier in my thread)

OP
R

RainbowRose

Aug 6, 2014
I'm sorry to say that doesn't look like a healthy bird to me :( It's been ten days since you posted the original question. In that time, if it had been pin feathers causing the problem, the pins would have come out and broken enough to relieve the pain and the problem would be getting better. I think you definitely need to find another a vet to get tests done on this little fella

Does molting take a long time? I know specifically that Kakarikis go through a really bad molt. I am not sure how long molting really takes though. He has had the tail quills for a couple of weeks now too. The quills are getting shorter and revealing his new feathers so it's moving along it's just going really slow

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I still think he needs more tests and a second opinion. You say some symptoms are improving, but still droopy? I'm wondering if your vet found the bacterial infection BUT there might still be yet something else afflicting him? If he doesn't get get better with ALL his symptoms soon, I would tend to think something more is wrong... No matter how hard a molt, drooping from discomfort of molting is just not heard of. He's been consistently like that for a while now. The antibiotics aren't helping with the cause of the drooping. That's what leads me to think he might have something else wrong. What did your vet say about it? I'm sorry, but drooping is not from molting, no way. Poor little guy. Good luck with him.

Last edited:

Mango121913

Aug 9, 2014
Ripley WV
Parrots
Solomon Island Eclectus
I'm thinking something else may be wrong as well. Here's what I would do. Find a different vet to get a second opinion, get a full blood workup. This may be expensive, but i think at this point, it's warranted.
I wonder if he may have been stung by something on around his neck, upper back area on his right side?

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
I was thinking the same things as Raven and Mango, because of the combination of things that aren't right, it sounds like something more is likely going on. Seems like a fresh eye for an eam and perhaps an xray are also in order to make sure everything looks a.o.k. inside.

If he will allow you, do a body check as thorough as possible to rule out any suspicious spots, such as an insect bite, welt, scrape, thorn, bald, etc. When he's wet would be easiest to see skin, if he will allow you.

You mention that Tiki won't stand on one foot, perhaps because the wing. He'll need to get rest to his feet. Does he every lay down, like in a tent, or on you, etc?

Please try to see an avian vet tomorrow.

OP
R

RainbowRose

Aug 6, 2014
Thank you all for your thoughts and advice, it's been extremely helpful in terms of taking the proper steps in handling his illness.

Some better news this morning. While on top of his cage he was preening his wings. He stretched them out and wow, he has some big white quills under there. I got it on video which I can show to the vet too. He was flapping his wings very fast which he does when he's excited and/or as a means of "exercise". He's flapped his wings multiple times so far today, so it appears his wing definitely isn't broken or anything, so I'm glad about that. :green1:

Additionally, I forgot to mention that he does stand on one foot to eat. He had some boiled egg yolk this morning and was holding it with his foot up to his face while standing on his T stand perch with the other foot. So he eats standing on one foot, just doesn't sleep standing on one foot. He perches, just with both feet, at least that's what I've seen when going to bed and getting up in the morning. I wonder if he does one foot during the night? Don't know

When he got bloodwork a few weeks ago we sat down and reviewed the results and everything was normal minus the red blood count of course cause he had the anemia. The anemia is definitely getting better, it's just these new problems that have recently arised.

But other than that he's still pretty quiet and sleepy so I am still definitely watching him and am in constant contact with the vet, updating her on everything and bringing him in when it seems dire. He's been to the vet 4 or 5 times already this past month, so I'm definitely doing what I can without breaking the bank! :52:

Last edited:

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
But other than that he's still pretty quiet and sleepy so I am still definitely watching him and am in constant contact with the vet, updating her on everything and bringing him in when it seems dire. He's been to the vet 4 or 5 times already this past month, so I'm definitely doing what I can without breaking the bank! :52:

Good that you're in contact with the vet, but forgive me for saying, it just doesn't sound like the vet is addressing the drooping, or is concerned about looking into it any further. From what you say, I don't think he has any idea what is really wrong.

My vet uses x-rays as a diagnostic tool, not only for bones, but for organs, and ANYTHING that looks amiss... I've heard though, many avian vets aren't super familiar with diagnosis through x-ray though.
At any rate, if I were to spend more money, I would definitely spend it on a different vet with a fresh look at this. Research 'who' is one of the best out there where you are. Back east I'd imagine you will be able to find a good one even if you have to drive a little farther. Or you can ask people here who live around your area. Good luck.

happycat

Mar 9, 2012
Virginia, U.S.
Parrots
Kakariki (Kirby) Cockatiel (Shiro) Jenday Conure (Jojo)
So I am back from the vet. She felt his wing and said it doesn't seem to be fractured but he's definitely in pain. He also has many new pointy feathers coming in there, and all over. (His tail has crazy quills). Kakarikis have heavy molts, so I've heard and read. As for his eye, it's weird it's on the same side as the wing but it could be tiny feathers too, I guess like "eyelashes", but she said his eye seems light sensitive. He got more baytril for the anemia and got a pain killer.

Anyone have experience with birds having a molt that effects them weird in certain places?? I'm hoping it's just a bad molt and nothing more.

Yes, I do have experience with that in my kakariki. For a couple of months he was extremely itchy and seemed to be balding in several places. I thought he might have had mites or something but I think it was just a very bad molt. You could see the parts around his eyes, ears and face completely and was extremely scruffy looking. He was also over preening. He is looking a whole lot better now. I can hardly see his ears, and he looks a lot cleaner. I think he just stopped a week or two ago.

I've also noticed him drooping one wing a couple of times. He would droop it lower then the other for a couple of days and then would stop. It could have been from the molt, or maybe from him bumping into things (he's pretty clumsy!)

Speaking of bumping into things, I think that could be a reason he is doing all this. Once Kirby rammed into the headboard of my bed, and hurt his foot. I took him to the vet and they told me to take out all his perches and keep him on the ground. The wing on his hurt food was drooping, he was acting more quiet, and was lifting his foot in discomfort. That could explain the eye squinting, wing drooping, and lethargy.

I am hoping Tiki is going through the same thing Kirby went through. Good luck! :green1:

Last edited:

MacawLoverOf3

Jun 23, 2013
Parrots
Jody
Kalea
Donovan
I agree with getting this bird to a new vet as this is too long of a time frame with no improvements.

Before the vet gave an antibiotic did he run a culture and sensitivity test to know EXACTLY what he was treating and if it was the proper one? I have my doubts that he did because the first thing a vet will tell you is that it is a bacterial infection and go with the shot gun method of treatment and hand you that Baytril. I want to call that the Owners Pacifier so when they hand you a bill you will not freak out because they really have no idea what to do for the patient.

Also, if the baths are ones he is taking that would be ok but if you are taking him into a shower or using a spray bottle I would stop doing that until he is healthy.

OP
R

RainbowRose

Aug 6, 2014

Good that you're in contact with the vet, but forgive me for saying, it just doesn't sound like the vet is addressing the drooping, or is concerned about looking into it any further. From what you say, I don't think he has any idea what is really wrong.

My vet uses x-rays as a diagnostic tool, not only for bones, but for organs, and ANYTHING that looks amiss... I've heard though, many avian vets aren't super familiar with diagnosis through x-ray though.
At any rate, if I were to spend more money, I would definitely spend it on a different vet with a fresh look at this. Research 'who' is one of the best out there where you are. Back east I'd imagine you will be able to find a good one even if you have to drive a little farther. Or you can ask people here who live around your area. Good luck.

Many people have told me that this place is the best with exotic birds :/ funny you mentioned X-rays, she told me she wanted to do an X-ray but I couldn't do it at the time because I spent $600 in like 3 weeks just on Tiki alone... So I guess I should go back and get the X-ray then. His wing is not broken, but do you think an X-ray will help identify problems in his system??

OP
R

RainbowRose

Aug 6, 2014
So I am back from the vet. She felt his wing and said it doesn't seem to be fractured but he's definitely in pain. He also has many new pointy feathers coming in there, and all over. (His tail has crazy quills). Kakarikis have heavy molts, so I've heard and read. As for his eye, it's weird it's on the same side as the wing but it could be tiny feathers too, I guess like "eyelashes", but she said his eye seems light sensitive. He got more baytril for the anemia and got a pain killer.

Anyone have experience with birds having a molt that effects them weird in certain places?? I'm hoping it's just a bad molt and nothing more.

Yes, I do have experience with that in my kakariki. For a couple of months he was extremely itchy and seemed to be balding in several places. I thought he might have had mites or something but I think it was just a very bad molt. You could see the parts around his eyes, ears and face completely and was extremely scruffy looking. He was also over preening. He is looking a whole lot better now. I can hardly see his ears, and he looks a lot cleaner. I think he just stopped a week or two ago.

I've also noticed him drooping one wing a couple of times. He would droop it lower then the other for a couple of days and then would stop. It could have been from the molt, or maybe from him bumping into things (he's pretty clumsy!)

Speaking of bumping into things, I think that could be a reason he is doing all this. Once Kirby rammed into the headboard of my bed, and hurt his foot. I took him to the vet and they told me to take out all his perches and keep him on the ground. The wing on his hurt food was drooping, he was acting more quiet, and was lifting his foot in discomfort. That could explain the eye squinting, wing drooping, and lethargy.

I am hoping Tiki is going through the same thing Kirby went through. Good luck! :green1:

Ohh this is very helpful cause I know Kaks have really bad molts and that's also what the vet pointed out during his exam (quills under the wings). And Tiki is itchy too!! Everything you described sounds just like Tiki. He is a bit clumsy too so maybe he bumped into something or fell off his perch when flapping wings or preening or something of the like. But did Kirby eventually start talking and chattering away again? Did the quietness eventually stop?

Mango121913

Aug 9, 2014
Ripley WV
Parrots
Solomon Island Eclectus
I am not sure i understand why they keep giving you batril for his anemia? Have they done another blood test for anemia? Has he been eating a lot more leafy greens? Can you take him outside to get some vital sunshine for a few hours a day?
Sorry for all the questions? Just wondering?

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
So I guess I should go back and get the X-ray then. His wing is not broken, but do you think an X-ray will help identify problems in his system??

I know that my vet is an expert with diagnosis through digital x-ray, and he can
spot subtleties that would be impossible to tell with other methods of diagnosis. It all depends on how experienced your vet is with diagnosing through x-ray.

OP
R

RainbowRose

Aug 6, 2014
I am not sure i understand why they keep giving you batril for his anemia? Have they done another blood test for anemia? Has he been eating a lot more leafy greens? Can you take him outside to get some vital sunshine for a few hours a day?
Sorry for all the questions? Just wondering?

He was responding to the baytril right away due to a bacterial infection. He was hospitalized for a few days and there were noticeable changes when I got him back; his bright red eye color was returning since the anemia turned it off white!, his feet were pinker, the inside of his mouth was pinker as opposed to his initial visit when it was extremely pale. He was able to regenerate red blood cells which was good. Got extra baytril for another week a couple weeks later just to help him fight off the infection faster.

As for greens, yes! Last night he had some kale and red lettuce. He also eats carrots and oranges, not so much on apples and broccoli though. He also had some boiled egg yolk. His diet consists of pellets by Zupreem, KayTee multicolor/flavored pellets (the rainbow ones), some seed mix, and fruits and veggies in appropriate portions.

Sometimes we go around the house where there is more sunlight. That's the one thing that stinks for me because my room is darker because the sun rises on the opposite side of the house, and also I have 2 french bulldogs who are always super curious about Tiki and also my rabbit. So I sneak Tiki out on my shoulder when the dogs are downstairs! Hehe. I did bring his smaller cage outside a couple weeks ago for some fresh air and sunlight and he seemed to enjoy it. Maybe I'll do that more. I don't put him directly in the sun of course but he gets some sunshine being outdoors in general.

OP
R

RainbowRose

Aug 6, 2014
So I guess I should go back and get the X-ray then. His wing is not broken, but do you think an X-ray will help identify problems in his system??

I know that my vet is an expert with diagnosis through digital x-ray, and he can
spot subtleties that would be impossible to tell with other methods of diagnosis. It all depends on how experienced your vet is with diagnosing through x-ray.

Yea I heard the avian vet I go to is good too, I've been doing check ups over the phone with the younger vet who is maintaining what the expert avian vet specified in the initial visits for his problems. She is phenomenal and has 40 years of exotic bird experience so naturally I went to her vet office like a magnet. They wanted to maybe do an X-ray but I was reluctant because of money issues :( if it persists I will definitely get the X-ray as they suggested. We were trying the lower cost option first :/ I couldn't pay at the time

OP
R

RainbowRose

Aug 6, 2014
:green1: UPDATE:

I think a miracle happened within the last 24 hours. Last night Tiki went to bed on one foot, I was so excited I even took pix because he hasn't rested his feet in quite some time. Then this morning he was flapping his wings and climbing all over his cage! He even went to the highest perch and was hanging out on different levels all day, I was shocked. Usually he lays low to the ground and stays on the lowest perch. On the ground today he was running around like a maniac. Just now, I just got home and where was he?? Poking his head out of his little cozy hut! It's the first time I've ever seen him use it ever! He finally was curious enough and stable enough to go explore it. I got it for him awhile ago when he first got sick to keep him warm and let him rest. I hope this let him rest his feet too.

Physically, his right wing is not drooping at all today, I am mind blown. It's tucked up now the way it should be. His eye is still squinty so I'm monitoring that still. But he is noticeably different today I am stunned at how many noticeable improvements there are just over one night (even though he's been struggling for quite some time now).

Has anyone ever experienced something like this before? A sick bird (for awhile) suddenly has multiple improvements all at once, spontaneously? I wasn't expecting him to have his wing normal and such high energy and activity all at once. I'm happy but I just hope it lasts! I really hope he will start talking and chirping again soon too

Last edited:

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
It's hard to say why/how... let's just hope it stays that way. Just watch him closely for the next several days to make sure everything is really okay, and that he doesn't slip back into symptoms. Without knowing EXACTLY what was wrong, we can only hope. Best wishes.

Mango121913

Aug 9, 2014
Ripley WV
Parrots
Solomon Island Eclectus
RavensGryf, is correct. Also I think direct sunlight is beneficial to birds for the absorption of vitamin D. Vitamin D deficiency can cause serious issues in humans, and may as well, cause other symptoms in birds too. I always try to get Mango out for some direct sunlight whenever I can. I am happy to see he is improving!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.

Some vets have a part-time radiologist on staff to definitively read the imaging. My former vet contracted with an MD to proofread, but this was likely done after-the-fact rather than in the heat of a critical diagnosis. Of course, he didn't call them X-rays but the more formal term of "radiograph." (and charged accordingly!) :D

Most Reactions

Latest posts