Right side of bird drooping, right eye half closed

OP
R

RainbowRose

Aug 6, 2014
Well another day has gone by and the minute I opened the door to pickup Tiki he jumped right up and ran all the way up my arm. He took his medicines and I gave him his treat afterwards. He ate it sitting on my shoulder. He's really hyper right now he was bouncing around his cage. And he is stuffing his face with the Zupreem berry pellets that he normally eats the least of. His wings are both even now in terms of being tucked up and tightly to his body. I hope this holds out he seems to finally be showing some serious recovery, it's been since mid summer that he's gone down hill so maybe it'll be better from here out. And once again thank you for all the support, this forum is wonderful I am so glad I joined. I'll update if anything else changes! But right now it seems things are finally looking up *fingers crossed*:green1::41::21:

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
Has anyone ever experienced something like this before? A sick bird (for awhile) suddenly has multiple improvements all at once, spontaneously? I wasn't expecting him to have his wing normal and such high energy and activity all at once. I'm happy but I just hope it lasts! I really hope he will start talking and chirping again soon too

Anemia is a constant drain on energy levels. Once it's treated the levels rebound quickly. A person or bird will get used to lower levels of 02 in their bloodstream, but not have reserve energy. More oxygen = more energy.

Mango121913

Aug 9, 2014
Ripley WV
Parrots
Solomon Island Eclectus
This is very good news. I would bring him to the vet to get another blood test, to set a baseline on all his levels.
Maybe then, god forbid if this ever happens again, you will have an idea what could be affecting him. Just be sure to give him lots of leafy greens.
:)

DallyTsuka

Mar 19, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Dallas and Tsukasa (Cockatiels)
Mango and Munchlax (Peach Faced Lovebirds)
I'm prolly gonna get a heck of a lot of skepticism here but I do think the drooping and squinting were molting. I have tsuka, a big drama queen of a cockatiel who makes a fuss over little things. I have noticed both of my cockatiels droop their wings when they molt several flights at once. I haven't seen squinting, but if Tiki is sensitive like Tsuka and has that many pins on his eyelid, I think it's possible. All of his behaviour sounds like a very rough molt. Mine tend to be a bit drowsier and tend to be itchier and like to baby themselves during really heavy molts. Molting takes a lot out of a bird, they're growing how much new cells and blood vessels into these bloodfeathers, molting uses up a lot of vitamin A as well. It's good to supplement extra dark greens, protein, vitamin A rich foods, vitamin E, and sunlight during molting, and bathing is beneficial for a molt. Shoot me all you like, but I don't think this vet is too much of an idiot in this case. A second opinion may be a good idea still, but don't throw this one to the wolves over the possibility of this bird just suffering from a very rough molt. Especially if this is his first molt, he's probably not used to how uncomfortable and painful it can be.

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
I haven't personally witnessed that kind of molt, but I've heard enough stories about them to know they happen^^^^

Most Reactions