Sai looks unwell...help!

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel
I cannot take her to the Vet for the next 2 days (no Vets are open).

My SI Eclectus girl Sai's feathers are fluffy and slightly ruffled, she wont eat normally, and her eyes are watery and one is slightly closed.

What could it be? What should i do in the meantime? Besides keeping her warm.

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
Oh dear, I'm sorry she's not feeling well. I don't have experience with this but I'm sure some of the more experienced parronts will chime in soon. I would suggest keeping her warm and keeping a close eye on her in the meantime.

Good luck!

lotosha

Jun 29, 2012
Parrots
A pair of cockatiels
And pair of African Greys
Vets told me once that warming the bird up could help her feel better. You can put a lamp near him for that. Hope he'll be alright.

OP
Kinny

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel
Thank you guys :) I called a private emergency vet number i found on google, and he said to give her some Psittavet (as we have a lot) she seems to be more alert, was certainly dehydrated. Will wait and see how she is later. Probably will syringe feed her more later tonight.

lotosha

Jun 29, 2012
Parrots
A pair of cockatiels
Ok.thanks for sharing that information. Hope she'll feel well soon

OP
Kinny

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel
Called another Emergency Vet who knows a fair bit about Parrots, and said it sounds like Sai has an upper respiratory infection, so to give her more concentrated doses of antibiotics (Psittavet) and to put her in our incubator. She's been in there for 2 hours and seems to be getting slowly better. If she's no better in another hour or 2, we may have to get the Vet to come round. $120 just for her to come out.. then medications if needed etc on-top of that.. but I say it's worth it if it helps Sai, (she's one of my parrots... of course it's worth it!) even more-so since she's worth about $700.

I will let you know how she goes.. she's been a little unbalanced, not able to walk hugely well.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Hoping that Sai gets better quickly:)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I hope she gets better for you!!! Did you turn up the humidity within the incubator as well? That will help as well.

Mike17

Aug 12, 2013
Media
Albums
Outback Western Australia
Parrots
Alex- Eclectus, Ariel- whiteface, Junior- pied, Custard-lutino, Ziggy- pearl cockatiels, Kermit- Princess parrot, Jade- Plumhead parrot, George- budgie, Coco- Rainbow lorikeet, Corey-Little Corella.
Hope Sai gets better soon... it's good that you had the Psittavet to hand.

OP
Kinny

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel
Got to the Vets 20 minutes later.. Sai was breathing fairly noisily, but she was more alert than she had been earlier. Vet was almost at the Clinic (had to drive from her house to the Clinic to give Sai antibiotic/vitamin/other shots) I was standing at the Clinic door when Sai decided to just give up. :( She could have made it, she could still breathe ok, but she just gave me this look like "I just can't be bothered..." and just gave up on breathing. D'; So she died a minute later... *breaks down in a huge crying mess* I'm just so sick of my favourites dying!!! And I'm so angry that this could have been treated if only the Vets phone-line had worked yesterday! I'm also just furious that I didn't just take her to the Emergency Vet earlier today... *wants to bang my head on a wall for not trying harder*

And now I have to call her previous owners... They absolutely loved her D: To tell them though is going to be so hard... it feels like I didn't give her a good home, but that I just killed one of their beloved pets... They really did love her :( They just didn't know how to care for birds properly...

Last edited:

cassiepengo

Nov 12, 2013
india
Parrots
my darling lovebird
it wasnt your fault, hey!!it must have been hard on her, but its over now!! sai is free, and she loves you
go free, sai!!

BruceV

Oct 20, 2013
S.E. Michigan
Parrots
Simba (Blue & Gold Macaw); Cosmo (Blue Quaker); Blue (Blue IRN); Mattie (Green Quaker)
My heart breaks for you. But Cassiepengo is right. It's not your fault. Fly free Sai!

lotosha

Jun 29, 2012
Parrots
A pair of cockatiels
You did all you could do in those circumstances. You are a very good paront.
Sorry for your lost.

drlisaort

Nov 3, 2012
Hollywood, Florida
Parrots
Oliver, Male (SI) Eclectus
My heart just breaks for you. Sometimes no matter what we do, or how hard we try the outcome is not what we want. It sounds like you tried everything you possibly could...which is more than most (outside of this forum of course...)...

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Oh no, I am so sorry to hear that:( My heart breaks for your loss, but please know you did everything you could for her.

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
Got to the Vets 20 minutes later.. Sai was breathing fairly noisily, but she was more alert than she had been earlier. Vet was almost at the Clinic (had to drive from her house to the Clinic to give Sai antibiotic/vitamin/other shots) I was standing at the Clinic door when Sai decided to just give up. :( She could have made it, she could still breathe ok, but she just gave me this look like "I just can't be bothered..." and just gave up on breathing. D'; So she died a minute later... *breaks down in a huge crying mess* I'm just so sick of my favourites dying!!! And I'm so angry that this could have been treated if only the Vets phone-line had worked yesterday! I'm also just furious that I didn't just take her to the Emergency Vet earlier today... *wants to bang my head on a wall for not trying harder*

And now I have to call her previous owners... They absolutely loved her D: To tell them though is going to be so hard... it feels like I didn't give her a good home, but that I just killed one of their beloved pets... They really did love her :( They just didn't know how to care for birds properly...

oh Kinney I am so sorry for your loss!....but please don't beat yourself up, I've been there remember....and it serves no purpose. I'm tired of loosing or having accidents with my 'good birds' too!!!

sometimes things happen in birds that we just can't catch in time. But we've got to do our best.

we're not geniuses when it comes to birds, we do what we can with the time we have with them. your a good parent Kinny, don't loose sight of that.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I'm sorry to hear about Sai....You did your best so don't blame yourself too much. :(

Gizmomania

Banned
Banned
Aug 25, 2012
San Diego
Parrots
Duskies: Gizmo & Niko, hatched 3/12 & 5/12; pineapple GCC: Skittles, 5/10/13; Pan Am: Harley, 1/27/13; CAG: Maalik, 7/27/13; Eclectus: Ziggy, 4/4/04; BHC: Walter 6 y; baby Jardine's: Bogart-May!
I'm so sorry. I can feel your anguish, and my heart goes out to you. Don't be too hard on yourself, Kinny. You did everything you could to try to help her. It was just her time to fly peacefully free.

Most Reactions

Latest posts