Salty not himself...

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Gee, I take a short break and Salty has a bad event!
The many recommendation above is why I love this group. All well targeted with high probabilities and a ton of prayers!

The comments above regarding 'musculoskeletal' has strong merit. I'm leaning toward the chipping of the upper beak as it has a greater effect than one would normally believe. When an outer chip of a beak separates from normal use and flips off, there is minor disruption /notice by the tiny filaments in the beak to the nerve mass to the Brain. However, if the separation occurred when a split had barely started, the separation and snap would be far more extensive and triggered a jawing response from the point of occurrence to the brian.

It is likely that the area was painful and 'may' still be.
Repeating the above, in the vast majority of time the chip has naturally split and normal use has loosened it and it just flips off with minor notice.

It is why I constantly push that any trimming or clipping of the beak be completed by an Avail Professional in their Clinic!

Last edited:
OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Thank you all for the get well wishes. Salty showed slight improvement yesterday. I gave him 2 walnuts as a part of his breakfast ( he usually gets one), no Nutra berries, and a few more pellets, which he eats sporadically but ate more then usual. He was a bit more active than the previous days, singing and talking more like his previous self. But not playing or destroying his wooden toys, or moving a great deal on his play chain. He did accept head scratchies, which I did very gently (he usually leans in quite impressively, especially those on this 'forehead'), taking great care to always stop before he backs off.

He had his mainstay dinner of the current recipe of chop, which has mostly veggies and a few partially cooked, 3 ingredient spiral pasta, his favorite. He ate a lot of that. On to our training session. Its here that I can really closely observe him because its there that I can see any differences, even little ones, We again stayed away from most of the beak intensive tricks but I included a few that require him to pick up or otherwise manipulate the prop. He didn't refuse any but he was definately doing so with great care. He even added a 3rd block to our stacking trick using now 3 of these soft rubber building blocks, doing quite well. I can still see his hesitation on those and he even was dropping small pieces of the pine nut slices, which he never does. So over all I think he is still hurting, but not as bad as the previous days. SO from today on, I will reduce the amount of out-of-cage time (less use of his beak for climbing around and offer more soft foods ( not ideal as he is in the middle of his spring/winter mating season) and of course closely observing his behavior.

Thank you all again for the prayers and well wishes, it is heartwarming to know that Salty has so many friends here on our second home, Parrotforums. If nothing else, it lets me vent my observations, concerns and worries and it allows me to get great feedback and information. You all know how much our feathered babies mean to us; its so frustrating because they cant enunciate their pain and discomfort. It helps, it really does.

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Salty seems to be back to normal now. More himself during the day, and our sessions last night and tonight were beak intesive and he showed no hesatation in going them and receiving his treats. I am leaning more towards somekind of muscle strain than anything else. He had me worried a lot though for a few days. THanks to everyone for the kind wishes and good thoughts!!

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
So good to hear Salty is on the mend!

My Lilly gave me a bit of a scare with a couple of vomiting episodes in the last few days too but she has been to the doctor who says that, apart from performing an x-ray, he can't see too much wrong with her. My hubby has a theory that they all have a strategy meeting to see what they can come up with to drive mum and/or dad crazy so maybe Salty skyped himself into their last meeting while our backs were turned!

Thanks for the update and I'm glad Salty is feeling like his old self!

Last edited:

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
YAY! So glad to hear Salty is feeling better, Al. We've all been worried about him right there with you.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Most Reactions