Screaming..What is considered normal for an amazon?

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I wonder if my birds don't scream in the morning because they are busy eating? I take their food out at bedtime because if mice have come into the house, I don't want them going in the bird cages. And being in the country, I get mice sometimes. So when they wake up, they can't just go and start eating until I give them their food. Now I try to do that quickly, as soon as I know a bird is up. But, every morning they are all busy eating their breakfast and are very quiet. Maybe you could try that.

They may not notice sunset as much either because their full spectrum lights are on. I turn them off about 15 minutes before I want them to go to bed to get them to start settling down. I can't really do it sooner as Pete won't eat if it's darkish and he really pigs out the most about half an hour before bedtime. I do turn Merlin's off sooner because I can tell when she wants to start settling down for the evening, and I think at night it hurts her eyes with the cataracts.

OP
Doris48

Doris48

Feb 15, 2012
Kansas
Parrots
Twitter, 3yo greencheek conure..Paco 15yo Orangewing Amazon.
I tried taking the food out and giving it the next day but he starts up before he even looks at the food.
Anyway today was great.I covered the cage really well last night and he was quiet this morning until after my hubby got up at 9..Then I uncovered the cage..Im usually up early but hubby sleeps in on weekends because he has to get up super early during the week.
So as long as I can get him quiet on weekends till 9 or so Im golden.

Most Reactions