Screaming

c3honey84

Mar 9, 2011
New Jersey
Parrots
Female Eclectus-"Roxy"
I am reposting this under Beahvioral to hopefully get some answers...

I know it's my fault, but I started a new part time job last week, so I have been coming home at 10pm three nights a week. My boyfriend told me that on those nights Roxy will scream for me! (He knows to ignore her screaming) I feel so bad, I don't know what to do! I have to go to a family reunion in Chicago next month for five days...what is gonna happen then?!

Yesterday, my boyfriend told me that he was near her in the living room and then went right outside where she could still see him to turn on the grill and she screamed. He did NOT come right back in, he waited about 10 minutes and then came inside. THEN later on he was actually talking to her and she screamed while he was talking to her. She has never done this before. Again, he walked away when she screamed and waited about 10 minutes before he came back, and he gave her a nut when she had not screamed in that time.

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
Roxy notices that one of her flock members is missing so she is flock calling. Then when your BF steps out she gets more upset.
It will not be a quick fix so you and your BF will have to adjust till her behavior is changed.
Start by haing your BF carry a small bell around in his pocket. When Roxy screams he should gently ring the bell and also say "It is OK." very quietly. While ignoring screaming behavior is usually the best sometimes each situation should be looked at individually. Therefor Roxy needs to be reassured that her flock is nearby. When he rings the bell he should wait for her response. If she continues to scream, walk away and ignore her. If she is quiet, plays with another toy or makes any other sound(even if it is not a great sound but not a scream) he should praise her right away.
In time she will learn that if she is quiet here flock members will reassure her. She will be happy. :)

OP
C

c3honey84

Mar 9, 2011
New Jersey
Parrots
Female Eclectus-"Roxy"
Interesting! I never heard of doing that with a bell. I will tell him to try it!

Most Reactions

Latest posts