May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Max (23yo) Blue and Gold Macaw,
&
PRIMOR (8yo) Red Lored Amazon,
&
ABBA (33yo) Red Lored Amazon - RIP
You know how they say that social isolation is bad for your health?

Do you think that flock time, or spending time with companion parrots is an equally healthy substitute for human interaction?

Asking for a friend.

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure- Tequila
Greencheek conure- Sierra
Pearled cockatiel- Malibu
Cockatiel- Volkan
Yellow budgies- Pina Colada and Houdini
Blue budgie- Lightning
White and blue budgie- Ciroc
I wouldn't say it's as healthy as human interaction but it definitely serves a purpose! I live in a household where my parents are very cold and we avoid each other most of the time (they've done a lot of stuff and spending too much time with them can be detrimental to me) and my parrots help a lot to prevent me from becoming depressed and lonely. However spending time at work/ with friends fulfils me socially a lot more than my parrots ever could, which is normal and healthy considering we're different species.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Just leave me alone on self-isolation! :eek: J/K

While hanging out with your parrot is fun and rewarding, most people need other people!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Just leave me alone on self-isolation! :eek: J/K

While hanging out with your parrot is fun and rewarding, most people need other people!
Is the reverse true? That while hanging out with people is fun and rewarding, most parrots need other parrots?

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Is the reverse true? That while hanging out with people is fun and rewarding, most parrots need other parrots?
I would agree, most parrots need other parrots, some that have been raised by hand may identify as people not parrots.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
You know how they say that social isolation is bad for your health?

Do you think that flock time, or spending time with companion parrots is an equally healthy substitute for human interaction?

Asking for a friend.

I always prefer the company of animals to people πŸ˜… I'm that person at a social gathering spending all my time with the cat/dog.

I will say that when I spend time with Ona, I feel more socially fulfilled than when I spend time with my dogs. I think is because I feel I can really communicate with her and that she understands me.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Not sure what your friend really wants as one 'could' play this either way. Should I get another Parrot for my Parrot, 'or' should I get a human friend for me!?!?

Either way, the basics are: Only get another Parrot if you want the additional work 'or' only get another Human, if you are happy with yourself first!

Most Reactions