She's not mad!

OutlawedSpirit

Apr 12, 2016
Northern Illinois, USA
Parrots
Bo - DYH ~ Gus - CAG ~ Twitch - Linnie ~ Apple - Pineapple GCC ~ Goliath - Quaker ~ Squish - Peach face Lovebird
I have to say I'm shocked. I took the pretty chicken to the rescue I got her from, I know the lady fairly well, so she said she'd file down a couple of her nails that were getting long.

Anyway, I held the chicken while she did her nails, and boy was the chicken angry! She screamed like we were killing her. Not to mention she clenched her feet so tight, almost couldn't get the couple toes separate enough to use the dremel.

I figured, since I held her the whole time, that I was going to be traitor number 1. As soon as we were done, and she was let go, she ran straight up me to hide by my face. I guess holding her wasn't the issue, or she figured I already gave my pound of flesh, so it was okay. I did not have a hold of her head properly, and let's just say she took advantage of that.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I am fully able to care for my Amazon's nails. But I would rather cough-up by money and be the saving Human as he escapes from those bad Humans in white coats. Same full run for saving, but my brave Amazon makes the bold move of hiding behind my head and peers round my ear, and then glares at those bad Humans. 'If Looks Could Kill!'

Love the Pretty Chicken updates!

GraciesMom

Apr 9, 2016
California
Parrots
Gracie - CAG | Rookie - BRHP
lol @ the pretty chicken getting mad at her @ mani... sounds like you got lucky.

I can do Gracie's nails but I also prefer to be the hero/rescuer & let her tell me all about the bad folks instead of being the bad folk.

OP
OutlawedSpirit

OutlawedSpirit

Apr 12, 2016
Northern Illinois, USA
Parrots
Bo - DYH ~ Gus - CAG ~ Twitch - Linnie ~ Apple - Pineapple GCC ~ Goliath - Quaker ~ Squish - Peach face Lovebird
I felt so bad holding her head like I was told to in the towel, with my finger and thumb under her cheek bones so she couldn't move her head. After she got a hold of my fingers, the lady doing her toes told me "you're not going to hurt her holding her head still like that, she can breathe just fine, but she's gonna hurt you if you don't". Guess what? She was right.

GraciesMom

Apr 9, 2016
California
Parrots
Gracie - CAG | Rookie - BRHP
Gracie hates the dreaded towel but I did hold her head like that without the towel thru the weeks I was medicating her... she really never gave any indication she was in discomfort but I hear ya on feeling bad. I do scritch her a lot right there with that same motion as if I was going to hold her just to keep her happy about that area being touched.

Hope the pretty lil chicken didn't getcha too bad

OP
OutlawedSpirit

OutlawedSpirit

Apr 12, 2016
Northern Illinois, USA
Parrots
No, luckily she grabbed my whole finger instead of just a little piece of skin. So she added a good bit of pressure to my finger, but it didn't hurt like it would of if it would have been just a little piece of skin she got a hold of. And she was fine with me holding her like that, I hold her all sorts of ways just so that I can handle her in anyway necessary at the vet, groomers, whatever. She was not happy about that "other lady" messing with her toes.

katie_fleming

Oct 30, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
Jasper (6yr old Solomon Island Eclectus Parrot)
I don't towel Jasper (ever) - I taught him awhile ago to let me file his nails. Have you tried this method? He's very good. I just do a little bit at a time, let him have a break, and continue. LOTS of treats of course.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCUe7ovGGks"]Jasper Eclectus Parrot Nail Filing - YouTube[/ame]

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
..."you're not going to hurt her holding her head still like that, she can breathe just fine, but she's gonna hurt you if you don't"

Truer words were never spoken! Lol! But I understand why you didn't. They just seem so fragile the first time you're looking to try something like that, don't they?

I don't towel Jasper (ever) - I taught him awhile ago to let me file his nails. Have you tried this method? He's very good. I just do a little bit at a time, let him have a break, and continue. LOTS of treats of course.

Jasper Eclectus Parrot Nail Filing - YouTube

Nice, Katie!!! Judging by Jasper's beak color, you had to go back into the archives for that one, didn't you? Lol!

Yeah, my wife had actually gotten Bixby rather comfortable with that method. We've never tried it with Jolly or Maya, though, as their perches do a good enough job of keeping their claws under control nowadays. But the filing method did work very well at the time.

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
I have been trying to train Buddy and Venus to let me do their nails. Buddy is good but Venus so far is an absolute NO! Still working on her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions