Shopping for a U2

sunshine.within

Sep 19, 2018
I would get an aviary over any cage of any size for a large parrot. The one I bought is pretty big for $500 and if it’s too big for my next place (currently renting a one bedroom), I can remove one set of panels to shrink it to about half the size. And it would
still be a big living environment for my U2.
Now that I see her in it I could never opt for a cage. She’s so happy in her big “room”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I would get an aviary over any cage of any size for a large parrot. The one I bought is pretty big for $500 and if it’s too big for my next place (currently renting a one bedroom), I can remove one set of panels to shrink it to about half the size. And it would
Now that I see her in it I could never opt for a cage. She’s so happy in her big “room”.

They honestly need as much space as you can possibly give them! You are right to have an aviary. It all seems so insignificant in comparison to the radius they would fly in the wild, but cages (including mine) are less than ideal. An aviary is the best if you can make sure the metal is safe!

OP
Casper223

Casper223

Apr 27, 2019
Gulf Coast, Louisiana/Mississippi State Line S/E
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo "Zoey"
I'm going to attempt to post a few pictures, hopefully these will appear, haven't been having much luck in previous posts...

This is the cage I purchased, Which leaves a huge footprint in my home. It's 36" wide by 36" Deep, and the inside height is 58"

https://imgur.com/mjcL60F

This is the picture of the Toy Cube I found, The builder/designer made it for smaller birds, So I asked him to design build a bigger version, still with the cotton rope, for me, This is the picture, I thought it was pretty neat.

https://imgur.com/h5vCwkq

This is the PVC activity gym I found online, it's 6 feet tall, has a swing, and more than a dozen hooks for attaching toys. Their is Vet wrap on the different perches, and they are all 1 ½ in diameter. With toys attached it looks like a ton of fun, and is mammoth.

https://imgur.com/k7nOr0h

This is a picture of perch type activity center. The perches are chewable, and twist in. It has several places to move the perches around to, and also the company sells additional perches to add to the tree.

https://imgur.com/myWswOW

This is a picture of my new baby "Zoey" some of you may have seen it as my Avatar, so hopefully this enlarges it just a bit. Zoey has a sister and as of a few days ago hadn't been adopted yet, but should be weaned and on a regular diet in the next 2 weeks. Of course I know I'm partial and all, but She is Gorgeous, and will just melt your heart with her sweetness. I also have a video of her first flight, I laughed my but off when she flew to the top of a cage while the breeder was hand feeding her Lmbo, then she started with her antics once she was out of hands reach.

https://imgur.com/96ZzElF

These last two pictures were of Zoey as of Monday morning, still weaning, and as the breeder was showing me, she is phone camera shy, although she wasn't shy at all in the video of her first flight which was hilarious, I see she took everyone by surprise in her flight.

https://imgur.com/9955y3p
https://imgur.com/Uwfdp9I

I used Imgur for these pictures, so hopefully they post, and my apologies for posting invisible pictures this week, I didn't know until Scott had clued me in. Hope you enjoy the pictures of this beautiful girl and the Amazing Shopping spree we did this week.

OP
Casper223

Casper223

Apr 27, 2019
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo "Zoey"

May I ask the dimensions of your aviary??

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
All of the images look great! Really like the cage, but the offbeat configuration is unique. I like unique!!

No problem with the toys/stands pictured. All comes down to a budget and available space!

Zoey is spectacular, bet you cannot wait until she arrives! (or is picked up!)

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Oh! I'm in love! Zoey is utterly gorgeous! Just look at that adorable face and the stunning hat! When she's older, you really must teach her to raise her hat on command. :)

OP
Casper223

Casper223

Apr 27, 2019
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo "Zoey"
All of the images look great! Really like the cage, but the offbeat configuration is unique. I like unique!!

No problem with the toys/stands pictured. All comes down to a budget and available space!

Only snag I've hit with the cage is A&E, They offer a bird cover for every cage. When I tried to order it, they said Cozy covers stopped doing business with them the first of the year. I've attempted to call cozy covers about three times now over the last two day, and haven't gotten an answer. I definitely need to find a cover for it. Cozy shows that cover on their web site for A&E cages, but no order form. Really don't know what to think about them right now, I hope they haven't went out of business.

OP
Casper223

Casper223

Apr 27, 2019
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo "Zoey"
Oh! I'm in love! Zoey is utterly gorgeous! Just look at that adorable face and the stunning hat! When she's older, you really must teach her to raise her hat on command. :)

The best picture I've seen so far of her, is a Video, but I don't know how to post a video. The breeder is hand feeding her, and to everyones surprise she takes her first flight, straight to the top of another cage, then stands her crown up opens her wings, fluffs up and starts bouncing lol, the video is only a minute or two, but it was priceless!!

I can't wait to be united with her, not sure yet if I'm flying up to get her, or if I'll just let them send her down via Delta. As of yesterday, she was still hand feeding, and I know the breeder said after she's weaned she wanted to keep her at least another week, or so so she doesn't digress back. I surely don't want to rush the process, and plus it gives me enough time to Zoey proof the house, and get everything in order for her. The breeder is also sending a food package with her, to keep her familiar with her food, to try to prevent any problems. As she stated, Zoey is traveling so far away she wants to make sure she's 100% ready before sending her as to avoid problems. I really have grown to like and respect this breeder and her methods.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?

Only snag I've hit with the cage is A&E, They offer a bird cover for every cage. When I tried to order it, they said Cozy covers stopped doing business with them the first of the year. I've attempted to call cozy covers about three times now over the last two day, and haven't gotten an answer. I definitely need to find a cover for it. Cozy shows that cover on their web site for A&E cages, but no order form. Really don't know what to think about them right now, I hope they haven't went out of business.

I LOVVVVVEEEE my Cozzzy cover and I got it on Amazon. I love the breathable yet black-out fabric...I love the velcro slits...I love it. If you get one--- do wash on the gentle cycle, as they can come apart over time (but they are sturdy overall).

Ellie777Australia

Apr 12, 2019
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
SI Eclectus Female, Ellie; RS/SI Eclectus Male, Bertie (both adopted as rescue/re-home)
Wow...love the cage...awesome play gym...incredible toys...and an absolutely stunning Zoey...now, if I were only a U2 :) ...what a life I would have :D...Well done Casper223..

Last edited:

Jolene7136

May 21, 2018
I will admit I haven't read through all of this post, and am sad to say I cannot get many of the photo links to work, but if you look on pinterest you can get some amazing ideas of play gyms for your birds with pvc, wood, and ropes.

I recently bought some rope to make a climbing ladder and will be putting toys on it as well. There is a tutorial on how to make them, I will see if I can find it and figure out how to share a link.

OP
Casper223

Casper223

Apr 27, 2019
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo "Zoey"
I will admit I haven't read through all of this post, and am sad to say I cannot get many of the photo links to work, but if you look on pinterest you can get some amazing ideas of play gyms for your birds with pvc, wood, and ropes.

I recently bought some rope to make a climbing ladder and will be putting toys on it as well. There is a tutorial on how to make them, I will see if I can find it and figure out how to share a link.

Hey Jolene, thank you for your post.... I have been on Pinterest, and found a PVC Play Gym, Activity Center made for Large Parrots. I contacted the company, and was disappointed they didn't have a contact number, but were advertising on "Etsy" a company I'm not really familiar with, as I use "Amazon & Ebay or direct store sales" mostly. This company, Engineer, Designer, actually chatted me while I was on the website. I was able to discuss my likes and dislikes, in which he said he was willing to customize the products. So I made an order with him, and asked if he would accept "PayPal" giving myself some kind of reassurance. The engineer/designer did say in designing bigger toys that what he made so often, came with a bigger price tag, and would take an extra week. Ohhh, the other scary thing was when I paypal'd this company, it went directly to an individual, not a company name...."Skeeery" I haven't received the items yet, although he did e-mail me Friday "Through Etsy, saying do not reply to this message" saying a partial order had been sent, no tracking number though, still the only way to contact the designer is through a chat. Not a real good/secure feeling. Most companies love to Flaunt their company names, to build reputation and future sales, so to say I'm a bit Leary is an understatement. There's a lot about dealing with a vender through Etsy that caused me to pause any future purchases! I believe your onto some really great ideas in making your own toys, and I'd love it if you shared the link. I'm big into DIY projects, and believe in building with pride, and quality. I do like Pinterest for the ideas, Just am not sure if all companies operate like the one I'm dealing with or not. Waiting to see, and I'll gladly update everyone, when I learn.....

sunshine.within

Sep 19, 2018

May I ask the dimensions of your aviary??

Absolutely! Sorry for my late reply. I’ll write down the specifics and be back. There’s also a link to it in my old thread about it... let me see...

sunshine.within

Sep 19, 2018
So these are the measurements

7.2ft Length x 5ft Width x 6.8ft Height

The link to it in the next post...

sunshine.within

Sep 19, 2018
That’s right, no base. I get the incontinence pads from Amazon and lay them down on the floor. Bianca tends to poop in the same spot so I use a total of 8 inside the aviary but only change 2 of them often. The others last a few days before I change them up.

Most Reactions

Latest posts