Shopping for a U2

sunshine.within

Sep 19, 2018
No because Bianca isn’t very destructive...
I guess you can try putting some down and supervise her to see how interested in them she is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Casper223

Casper223

Apr 27, 2019
Gulf Coast, Louisiana/Mississippi State Line S/E
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo "Zoey"
So these are the measurements

7.2ft Length x 5ft Width x 6.8ft Height

The link to it in the next post...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good Morning Sunshine, and thank you for the dimensions, links and spectacular ideas. It is like her own palace within your house. I really like the size of it, and think I'm creative enough to find a fix for the bottom. I may purchase one for my patio for Zoey. Zoey's cage now isn't nearly that big, nor is it small either by any stretch of the imagination. I had plans of using Zoey's cage for just when I'm at work, or when I step out for an errand, other than that I have two different play areas/ Activity Gym's built for her. I plan on having Zoey uncaged for the majority of her time, and so many activities to keep her totally occupied for hours on end. The flight cage you listed a link to, would fit much better on my patio, than in my house, best for family outings, BBQ's, Birthday Parties etc. I had came across a pair of cages for a pretty good deal in price, one being a King Macaw Cage, the second a cage large enough to house an umbrella cockatoo, but upon visiting the cages, I found them in the front yard, missing parts, dirty/filthy, and I felt even with great efforts in cleaning etc would I really want to use them, Then Noodles123 offered her feedback of possible disease, the expense of safe paint, and so on, and thats when I realized I really didn't want to chance a second hand cage. After all, if someone was to part with a bird, more than likely the cage would go with the bird, unless it was insufficient in size, So the my thinking then was the bird more than likely passed away, and if that was the case, then how and why. Those thoughts never occurred to me until Noodles123 mentioned the be careful with a used cage, and at that point I was never so glad for the voice of reason and caution. I don't mind sharing my living area with a life long companion, which will give her plenty of room to roam, but also want a space for her rest and secure her safety when I'm not home, which my cage offers her that security and safety. I purchased a parrot tree, with the limb letters, and each having an eye attached to hang her toys. I also purchased a Mammoth PVC style play gym complete with swing and latters, wrapped in multicolor vet tape, also having eyelets everywhere to hang toys. Although I haven't found a solution to keeping Zoey entertained in the event of outdoor activities, and so I'm looking very hard at your link, and trying to figure out the details now for possibly incorporating that flight cage onto my patio, for her to remain close when the family is outdoors. I tank you very much for the link, and great ideas, Hopefully I can put this idea to use for Zoey.

Ellie777Australia

Apr 12, 2019
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
SI Eclectus Female, Ellie; RS/SI Eclectus Male, Bertie (both adopted as rescue/re-home)
Casper223 said:
"Although I haven't found a solution to keeping Zoey entertained in the event of outdoor activities, and so I'm looking very hard at your link, and trying to figure out the details now for possibly incorporating that flight cage onto my patio, for her to remain close when the family is outdoors."
Casper223 said:
You are doing great Casper223. I bet you can hardly wait to bring Zoey home :D. With respect to the outdoor activities, how about an aviator harness? She can be with you outside with 'no worries mate' :). Wondering at what age you would start harness training with her? I haven't looked that up as Ellie was already 2-3 years old when she flew in. We started harness training as soon as it arrived in the post.

OP
Casper223

Casper223

Apr 27, 2019
Gulf Coast, Louisiana/Mississippi State Line S/E
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo "Zoey"
Casper223 said:
"Although I haven't found a solution to keeping Zoey entertained in the event of outdoor activities, and so I'm looking very hard at your link, and trying to figure out the details now for possibly incorporating that flight cage onto my patio, for her to remain close when the family is outdoors."
Casper223 said:
You are doing great Casper223. I bet you can hardly wait to bring Zoey home :D. With respect to the outdoor activities, how about an aviator harness? She can be with you outside with 'no worries mate' :). Wondering at what age you would start harness training with her? I haven't looked that up as Ellie was already 2-3 years old when she flew in. We started harness training as soon as it arrived in the post.

I have downloaded a book on my Kindle and Scott may know the Author....The Title is "A Guide To Owning fully flighted pet birds" by Summer Light, She's a breeder in San Diego. It discusses how to go about this task, using an aviator harness, and free flight. It's about a 30 minute read, however I've been so busy with other things going on, and trying to prepare for Zoey, I haven't read it yet, but I will. In going outside, I think it would be nice to place Zoey in a Harness, I'm however not sold at all on the free flight though. I know our Sonny love to be outside with family, but remained in a cage for his safety, and it seemed Sonny really enjoyed his outside time, often getting pretty loud and rowdy, even louder than the Birthday Party or whatever else we were celebrating. I want Zoey at the heart of the family, both inside and outside, Fresh Air, and lots of activity will do her well. I couldn't imagine a life indoors without being able to go out. So I definitely find the Harness Idea fascinating in theory, but haven't explored the possibilities or what it will take to get her ready, or even at what age to allow her to train. Summer seemed pretty knowledgeable in her training theories.

Most Reactions

Latest posts