Should I get a miltary macaw or a blue and gold macaw?

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
Well, in case another teenager decides to ask the same question, I would like to add my comments.

Most teenagers like to sleep in on the weekend. Please consider the idea of your giving up that priviledge because birds like to SCREAM in the morning. My kids hate this part of owning a big bird. I just remind them that they were on board with the purchase when he was a baby. lol.

4theBirds

May 28, 2012
Montana
Parrots
4 Budgies, 4 Finches, Bindi (CAG), & Babu (TAG), AND 12 Dachshunds
The large parrots are social animals and demand a great deal of time. I think it's great you are doing your "homework" before making the decision to get a macaw. It's also great that your parents are willing to work with you. (Now comes the "but...")

I got my first parrot when I was 26 and a resident still in training. I had a great little Lilac Crowned Amazon. Even though I worked about 12 hours a day and had time to spend with him, it wasn't enough. I had to give him up. He got pretty nippy and aggressive, because I didn't spend enough time with him.

Later on after I got married, my wife and I got our African Grey, Paddywack. He lived with us for 20 years. He demanded at least 2-3 hours of "quality time." Sadly, he fell prey to a couple of our dachshunds when he escaped from his cage. We learned a hard lesson, but now have Bindi and Babu, who require at least 2-3 hours from each of us.

I'm curious, what will happen when you start dating and going out with your friends? Macaws, just like other large parrots, require interaction with their flock...and you will be a flockmate. I've heard that Macaws do bond strongly with one person. Will you have time to spend? These animals are life long companions not just pets. They form very strong relationships and have long memories. Please think it through.

Spinx

Banned
Banned
May 28, 2012
I have a Blue and Gold. I can't imagine life without him. He listens to every word closely, he rides in the car,goes to farm supply stores, parks... He talks, and plays. He eats alot and is somewhat distructive. So when you choose a parrot for yourself, get him/her a wooden table from a second hand store that would be ok that he take a chunk from. My B/G screams. But not too much because I don't hush him. It's not a factor of wanting to scream or chew it's a factor of needing to. Anyway I hope you decide soon, can't wait for pictures, and being 13 doesn't mean you won't be a good parrot parent.
~Brenda~
:blue1:

Last edited:

Spinx

Banned
Banned
May 28, 2012
Please consider the idea of your giving up that priviledge because birds like to SCREAM in the morning.
Not always true. Rio and Dixie do not scream in the morning because they both get a birdie breakfast soon as I get up. It's a mix of veggies and fruits. It keeps them busy. Neithere of them call out until around 1 in the afternoon. That's their out of cage time. Then they are ready to go back in their cages at around 5 to snack and then covered around 7. Rio has a 20 minute scream time at about 1:30. Other than that it's when my youngest Grandchild is here.
~Brenda~

Spinx

Banned
Banned
May 28, 2012
I got my first parrot when I was 26 and a resident still in training. I had a great little Lilac Crowned Amazon. Even though I worked about 12 hours a day and had time to spend with him, it wasn't enough. I had to give him up. He got pretty nippy and aggressive, because I didn't spend enough time with him.
Did you study up on this type of bird? maybe if you had your bird choice would have been different. Just because this child is 13 and you were 26 doesn't mean much of anything if she's doing her homework she may get an A where you got a C. I don't feel her age has any factor or bearing on what kind of parrot owner she will be.
Sadly, he fell prey to a couple of our dachshunds when he escaped from his cage. We learned a hard lesson,
Yes this is sad. I'm sorry you had to learn the hard way.
I'm curious, what will happen when you start dating and going out with your friends? Macaws, just like other large parrots, require interaction with their flock...and you will be a flockmate. I've heard that Macaws do bond strongly with one person. Will you have time to spend? These animals are life long companions not just pets. They form very strong relationships and have long memories. Please think it through.
I'm sure if the bird she decides upon is going to be part of the family that it will bond with all it's flock members and not to just one person. So when she starts to date the bird won't be all alone. People can date and still be good bird parrents.
~Brenda~

WantsAParrot

Jan 29, 2017
Hey,
I am 12 years old and looking to get a macaw myself. (Now, because I ca't get one when I'm older because I won't live that long) I've done research and from it i have founded that B&G Macaws are probably the best to get.
I read this on another website:
It will be hard for me not to be prodigious when writing about this species. I love these beauties. My friend calls me a B&G magnet because they seem to be drawn to me. I believe it is because they know how much I love them. The majority of the B&G's that I have worked with (100+) are very affectionate parrots with out-going personalities. They need a good deal of physical interaction with their owners. They are more excitable than a G-wing. I feel B&G's are more like a human 2 yr. old emotionally as young birds. They are more emotionally reactive with their feelings. Because of this B&G's seem more prone to feather plucking when not properly nurtured. I have also seen cases of feather plucking and hyper-ness due to allergic reactions from artificially colored diets. B&G's are easier to rehabilitate because they respond so well to verbal praise. They are not generally as great a talker as a G-wing, however you will find some to have great vocabularies. If you like cuddly parrots that will not Velcro itself to you like a Cockatoo, then a B&G might be for you.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
You certainly sound like you have done some research, but unless Mom and or Dad is going to help with the support, or you have been born rich with a hefty allowance, keeping and maintaining a large parrot like a macaw will be too much for a 12 yr old to handle. If you have done the research on their attitude and plucking, and talking ability, then you also know they go thru toys like crazy and they aint cheap. A initial vet visit plus any medical emergencies that always crop up; wing, beak and claw trims - the costs are not small, plus you need transportation. Volunteer at a vets or rescue, keep that love of parrots an when you get older and schooling is finished adopt that B&G of your dreams.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
(Now, because I ca't get one when I'm older because I won't live that long)

Now, I'm not going to ask you about your personal life but if you have some medical condition that likely isn't going to allow you to live past however many years, I strongly suggest not getting a bird in general. Bird, parrots specifically, live a longer than people may think. A parrot can easily outlive a human. Some species at least, definitely a macaw. I don't mean to be insensitive or anything but it wouldn't really be fair to the bird.

Solo

Feb 24, 2015
Wichita,KS
Parrots
Shamrock Macaw
Agreed, it would not be fair to the bird at all. Switching handlers is beyond difficult for the bird emotionally. I also have incredibly high standards of care, and would worry how my bird would be cared for once I'm gone. They are a wonderful species to admire, but sometimes just admiring is the best thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DanaC

Oct 15, 2016
(the info on the link changed, it Had said the owner was 18 and was getting ready to go to collage and couldent take her bird with her, and her parents werent going to take care of the bird)
Alaska's List : Umbrella Cockatoo

Look at the link, This May happen to you. That poor bird is being rehomed because shes going to collage, whats going to happen when you turn 16 and suddinly have a life? They need attention, and cant just be ignored if your busy. or when you turn 18 and you need to get out of the house and go live on your own?

a bird costs EASILY 2000 dollars a year. Whats going to happen when your parents are nolonger going to support you and your parrot addiction?

I Dont have a parrot of any kind, I have to wait.... AGAIN, because my living situation has changed and I am 31, I have been researching parrots for the last 8 years, TAKE YOUR TIME. you dont need one today, it wont be the end of the world.

I don't know how anyone could spend $2K a year on one Macaw. I spend $600-$700 per year on food and a couple hundred on toys. Fortunately, Rosie is not around other birds so avian diseases are not a bother.:red1:

Most Reactions