Should I?

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
We'll do that Shelly.
Thanks for the advice! It shouldn't be hard to towel him. The little bugger can run fast though. He's got a foot fetish for sure! Must be a guy thing. I'm sitting here watching him and every few minutes I have to tell him to get back on his cage and praise him when he does. He's got the chanting going on again.

He's REALLY trying to get to Blue. I might move him to a different room so she's out of view completely.

There's your problem, he wants BLUE and your the competition!!!
Tarzan had better hurry up and distract this guy LOL

OP
GinaF

GinaF

Aug 13, 2013
Utah
Parrots
B&G macaw
You ladies are a hoot! I wish we could all meet somewhere to put faces to names.

We need a 'post a picture of yourself' thread. I've often wondered what the rest of you look like as well.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I think I know where Pajarita is coming from.

If a bird is not aggressively attacking someone (via air or floor), then all they may require is being allowed out of the cage where they don't feel trapped, and can learn that humans aren't scary things just by humans "ignoring" them. That is, not chasing after them, not trying to get them to step up, no physical interaction... just that the birds can peacefully be in the background, supervised but not interacted with. This may teach the bird that humans are "ok" and can come to trust humans on their own terms. It's the non-physical interaction that may help them.

There's also the part of teaching them from inside the cage. If you do have an aggressive bird, then keep them in the cage and train the bird through the cage bars. That way, it'll keep the bird safe as well as you. It does not sound like an ideal training regime, but if the end result is a bird that doesn't attack you, then the ends may justify the means. (I find this preferable to having to clip an aggressive bird, i.e. better than having a bird that chases after you on the floor because he can no longer fly after you) I'm just thinking in terms that if you do clip him, and he's still aggressive, then you haven't really accomplished anything.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
I think it all might depend on your goals for the relationship. If you want to try and "tame" the bird then ,yes, clipping could very well be a means to an end. It will make him more dependent on you. Giving you and him a chance to "change his mind".Some aggressive birds see themselves as the leader and are trying to whip you into line with his program. About the only thing that improve that birds relationship woth humans is to trust someone at some time. The clipped(IMO) bird will be more open to reassessing his situation and may very well learn something new.(your big chance to win him over). I work with some very aggressive rehomes/rescues and have learned to keep trying new approaches. If he knows how to fly then a appropriate clip will only keep him grounded for a molt or two.

MsPony

Aug 14, 2013
As someone who rehabs biters/aggressive dogs (and I love it), if clipping helps better this situation, go for it.

I once had a vet tell me that stress helps rabbits bond, so JerseyWendy (?) may be on to something with the hose outside suggestion.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Ok, after giving it some more thought,,,, Yes, i'm all for the clip at this time. next put him in a high traffic area of your home. (this is what i do for aggressive zons). Someplace you have to walk by anyway. For us right next to the kitchen is best. Every time you walk by he strikes and lunges. Pay him no mind at all, as if he doesn't exist. If he lunges/strikes when you walk by , walk by again very soon, but paying him zero attention. Act as if you never noticed him at all. After awhile he'll realize that he's not controling you, not running you away. When you walk by and he doesn't become agitated ,reward him. Maybe by saying what a good bird he is, sure when you pay him attention he'll start with the lunging/striking again, but fail to notice. You'll have to use your own judgment , but don't ever let him run you off. If he gets aggressive stay there until he calms down some. DON"T LET HIM WIN. I go so far as to "bump" their cage( when you walk by and he doesn't charge) at times to let them know they're not running me off and being aggressive has zero effect on me. I'M IN CHARGE. i'm the big bird and this is my house/flock. Amazons can respect a leader but they need to trust and respect the leader or they think they know best. If the bird is in charge then chaos is the result.It's the same sort of thing i do for birds that scream. When they start a "nonfavorite" person responds by standing near their cage, like their screaming brings the "bad guy" . If they want to be part of the flock,which all do after awhile, they learn that being ugly means your not part of the fun/ flock. it will take awhile but he needs to learn that his aggressiveness gets him nowhere.

Last edited:

Chelle

Aug 5, 2013
Parrots
CHEESECAKE (Pineapple~GCC) 2/4/14
Yes PLEASE give an update! I love your stories :35:

OP
GinaF

GinaF

Aug 13, 2013
Utah
Parrots
B&G macaw
We're making progress, I think. It's slow in the respect that a turtle carrying a 500lbs anvil moves faster, but progress is progress.

This week has been kinda crazy. Between kids, work and the renovations on my master bathroom, there are moments when I don't know if I'm coming or going. Compound that with the fact that my best friend, who's kind of a halfwit in an entertaining sort of way has been excessively intrusive this week.

There are a couple of key elements that my friends have come to expect from me over the years. The main one being, that at least one room in my house looks like Afghanistan v. 2.0. This month it's my master bathroom, in which 90% of it is currently at the city dump. Ok. I confess, it's been the last 4 months. I do most of my renovations myself unless it involves major plumbing or structural changes. This room incorporates both. I admit my motivation to get it done hasn't exactly been high. In fact, it's been kind of non-existent. My life revolves around 2 things; need and desire. Since I have 2 other bathrooms in the house, I don't NEED to get this one finished. And there's no desire to rip out any more sheetrock. Im fried. I did go in there the other day with the intention of working on it. I sat there for 6 minutes and identified everything that needs to be done and the order in which it should happen. The whole process wore me out and I decided to take a break just as my friend walks in to inhale the last bit of my coffee.

Now you have to understand what this character is like to get the entertainment value out of the situation. He's a landscape contractor. Normally you would think a manly man would carry that role in life, but not Chris. When I met him, he was sporting a fine pair of Prada sunglasses. We were driving down the freeway one day and I decided to toss them out the window and made him go buy a pair of raybans. I just couldn't hang out with a guy that even knows what Prada is, let alone sport something made by them. He also has a strange attachment to my 2lb Yorkie. Disturbingly so. We're talking to the extent that I'll come home and discover he's stopped by, abducted her and took her to his house for a sleepover. Yeah... I know... I've thought that too.

None the less, he's in complete denial about life and reality. When I die, I want to come back as Chris. His world is far cooler than my world. He has himself convinced that he has a way with every animal that walks the planet. He doesn't speak parrot.

Blue doesn't particularly like him. While she won't attack him, she's not even going to consider stepping up for him. Z doesn't even like his own reflection in the mirror, so logic dictates, unless you're into cuddling with a crocodile, don't even think about it. However, despite repeated warnings, my oblivious friend just didn't get it.

He walks over to Blue and tries to get her to step up. Obviously she backs away as if to say "Don't freaking touch me, dude!" and looks at me like I should do something to remedy the situation. To which, I obliged and politely suggested he leave her alone. Rejected he decides to have a go at Lucifer here. Um.. that wasn't exactly the most intelligent idea.

Z was sitting in his cage quietly chanting his normal demonic chant. My friend Chris was intrigued by this idea and walks over to check him out. Now the one thing I've come to understand is that zonzilla here doesn't appreciate folks gawking at him through the cage. I think he's self conscious or something, but in any event, he normally gets pretty testy. Especially if there's no personal gain in it for him.

He gets quiet. I knew that wasn't a good sign. Z seems happier when he's summoning the spirits for guidance, to which, he does quiet frequently. So the silence is a good indication that something bad is about to go down.

Chris starts talking to him and immediately gets the "what the hell do you want?" look. I'm just watching intently out of the corner of my eye. Z is already in stance. Feathers ruffled, eyes pinned and body slightly lowered. I try to save him. "Chris. That bird is going to bite you." He doesn't listen. Z starts reaching his talon through the cage bars.

Now normally, to an unsuspecting individual, I can see where this might be an indication of peace or a friendly 'come pet me' gesture. However, when you take into consideration my experiences so far with this zon, in conjunction with the obvious body language he was displaying, I knew immediately it was a trap.

Chris goes for the latch on the cage.

Now before I could utter a word, Z looks down at his hand and says "Uhh... no." Just like that. Simple, clear and precise. You couldn't have asked for a better warning. In fact, I'm kind of impressed. Z was talking to him in Amazon speak and when that didn't work, resorted to human speak to let him know this was not going to turn out the way Chris wanted.

He reaches in the cage.

Seconds, I tell you... seconds. It was just that quick that Z nailed him, drawing out enough blood that it looked like he'd removed Chris's entire circulatory system through his pinky toe. Chris staggers slowly back into the kitchen, blood running down his arm and dripping off his elbow and his ego in a puddle in front of Z's cage. He had the most astounding look of confusion on his face as if he had no idea what just happened or why.

I try to be a supportive friend. This is an area that I admit, I do not excel at. Sympathy as a result of stupidity doesn't come easy for me. "He bit me!" he said. I examine his arm. He still got to keep all of his flesh, albeit it's a little perforated now. There were 3 very distinctive bite marks in his forearm. 2 of which were sure enough punctured. "That wasn't a bite. You don't need stitches, so that was a warning." I hand him a paper towel and say "You really miss your Prada sunglasses don't you? This being a man thing isn't really working out for you. You might want to stick with Yorkies for now."

Ironically, Z has been so much happier since he copped himself a pound of flesh. He's been a lot more talkative an receptive. I can give him treats through the cage bars now and we shared dinner together last night. With a little bit of time, patience and maybe some shock therapy, I think Z here will make a great companion. I just need to conjure up a victim on a week as a sacrifice.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH6efYSN9us"]Break through - YouTube[/ame]

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
LOLOLOL!!! Maybe you should put an ad on Craigslist so you can get weekly sacrificial offerings for Z lol.

Glad you guys are making **some** progress though :)

Gizmomania

Banned
Banned
Aug 25, 2012
San Diego
Parrots
Duskies: Gizmo & Niko, hatched 3/12 & 5/12; pineapple GCC: Skittles, 5/10/13; Pan Am: Harley, 1/27/13; CAG: Maalik, 7/27/13; Eclectus: Ziggy, 4/4/04; BHC: Walter 6 y; baby Jardine's: Bogart-May!
LOL! Have you ever considered a career in writing? You have such a way with words, Gina, and you always bring a smile to my face.

Congrats on making such great progress with Z. Rome wasn't built in a day :)

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Perhaps Chris needs to be convinced that "Z" was just having a bad day, and that he should definitely try this again? :54:

I'm laughing to hard over here, you can't even imagine!! HAHAHAHAHAHA

I love the Craigslist idea.

And yes, you DID make progress with him. He'll be putty in your hands before you know it, especially if you get those sacrifices in. :D

I just had a thought: Do they sell "Blutwurst" somewhere near you? HAHAHAHA

OP
GinaF

GinaF

Aug 13, 2013
Utah
Parrots
B&G macaw
LOLOLOL!!! Maybe you should put an ad on Craigslist so you can get weekly sacrificial offerings for Z lol.

Glad you guys are making **some** progress though :)

Mmm! Plenty of Fish. There are more douchebags on there than Craigslist.
If I'm going to sacrifice a human every week, I want people that are on Darwin's waiting list.

He's back to his snarky self this afternoon. It's been cloudy and overcast. I wonder if the weather plays into it or if he's just suffering from multiple personalities?

Jumpingtadpoles

Oct 22, 2013
Vancouver Island
Parrots
We are looking for a bird for our family. It's very much like we are pregnant and waiting for the day the new addition comes to the family!
Oh man, this thread is top of the line! How has the evil critter been? Has your friend recouped his dignity?

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
AND THEY WONDER WHY HE'S UPSET AND BITING?!

Those kids are never gonna be able to get near that bird, behaving like that, they are training him to be defensive around them, and attack...

Forget Parrot training, these people need parenting classes!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Well, ignore Amazon territorial intrusion warnings at your own peril...

There is not clearer warning than "the stance." But given that he also said it in human... well, to think that this guy had the nerve to look surprised!

My CAG when he is not interested will do the exact same thing.

"Owww! That hurts!"

I can't believe I actually have to explain that to people. He is telling you he is getting upset now, and wants you to back off. If you don't...

And some of them have the nerve to look surprised as well!

Most Reactions

Latest posts