Shouldering a Caique

ParkersMom

Jan 18, 2013
Nashville TN
Parrots
Parker male BF Amazon hatched 5/2/2012
Charlie unsexed BF Amazon hatched 1994?
Juno Female BH Caique Hatched 6-3-2013
Junos favorite place to be is on my shoulder, and while I would NEVER do this with one of my zons, she is just so small what could it hurt...do you think it is a bad idea as long as she will get down when asked... or am I asking for trouble

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
If you trust your bird(s), and they will step up when asked (or at least get down in some way), it's entirely up to you! Jayde will step up onto my hand or arm from the top of her cage or cage door as well as if she's down on a table, couch, chair or floor. She will not step up from inside her cage nor from my shoulder! However, she's still not difficult to get off my shoulder so for me, not an issue!

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
It's definitely about trust and your comfort level. You know that there is always a risk, but you know your bird best. I won't let our little brown head on my shoulder because he is nippy and doesn't want to come off, my zon is allowed because he has never been aggressive with me and does what is asked.

Irishj9

Nov 20, 2011
Media
Parrots
11 caiques, 24 lovebirds
The only issue I see is that your shoulder may become Juno's place. I let Cha_Cha preen on my hand when she wants, when Im watching tv etc.

Now its HER place. Anybirdie who comes to my hand while she is there will get a nip!

She doesnt even care where I go or what I do, provided she is left alone on my hand LOL

Jowelbg

Jun 3, 2013
Texas
Parrots
2 Black Headed Caiques - Bunsen & Beaker
I don't think it's a safety issue, just remember how mischievous Caiques can be. Sometimes mischief and faces don't mix.

Also, with the high energy/metabolism, be prepared for a lot of BTS's. (Bird Turd Shirts)

thebirdnerd

Dec 28, 2010
Parrots
Whitefaced Pied Male Tiel- official greeter at the Rainbow Bridge, forever in our hearts,
Turquoise Mutation IRN,
Congo African Grey- please come home to us,
Blue mutation IRN
Any bird can do damage to your face because you have know way to control the bird if it decides to bite you. I once had a caique who was previously friendly towards me fly at my face to attack...I used my hand to block it and the bird took a chunk out of my hand. Caiques can be unpredictable, just use caution.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Of course it is up to you, and I have never owned one, but in my discussions with breeders (I want to own one someday) I have been told they are "aggressive birds" not meaning they are always mean, but that they are very strongwilled. They decide what they want, take it, and keep it, and woe unto he who disagrees! I know each bird is an individual, and again I have never owned one, but my first thought is that it is not a great idea.

dskidd

Dec 6, 2012
Parrots
Eliza -- Black Headed Caique
Henry -- White-Bellied Caique
I don't think it's a safety issue, just remember how mischievous Caiques can be. Sometimes mischief and faces don't mix.

Also, with the high energy/metabolism, be prepared for a lot of BTS's. (Bird Turd Shirts)

True...I seem to do a LOT more laundry these days!

Slightly more seriously, as others have said, it all depends on the bird, on you, and your level of trust with each other. Interestingly enough, neither of mine are all that keen to be on my shoulder. They prefer to be on my finger(s). Eliza will only get on my shoulder in the morning when I'm opening the blinds; I guess she likes to see out. Henry very occasionally will want to get up there so that I can be a human roosting spot. I know my place...
;)
Derek

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
As long as shes behaving . Shes a baby I think your fine . Mine still crawl all over me. When they were younger though earrings ,necklaces and shiny things on were fair game to them. [I wouldn't let my Zon up by my face either)

Irishj9

Nov 20, 2011
Media
Parrots
11 caiques, 24 lovebirds
I have 8 caiques, and no BTD's. Maybe mine are just careful where they poop lol

JP

Last edited:
OP
ParkersMom

ParkersMom

Jan 18, 2013
Nashville TN
Parrots
As long as shes behaving . Shes a baby I think your fine . Mine still crawl all over me. When they were younger though earrings ,necklaces and shiny things on were fair game to them. [I wouldn't let my Zon up by my face either)
I have a pair of diamond earrings that I got after my mom passed away(they were hers)...talk about fair game...Juno the little **** grabbed hold and wouldn't let go:eek:...lol had to almost pry her off with a crow bar...lol :D I'm MUCH more careful now though

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
I have a pair of diamond earrings that I got after my mom passed away(they were hers)...talk about fair game...Juno the little **** grabbed hold and wouldn't let go:eek:...lol had to almost pry her off with a crow bar...lol :D I'm MUCH more careful now though
HE HE ,We tried to tell you :p Wait till she finds a pen !

dskidd

Dec 6, 2012
Parrots
Eliza -- Black Headed Caique
Henry -- White-Bellied Caique
HE HE ,We tried to tell you :p Wait till she finds a pen !

LOL...well, on the plus side, I don't wear earrings. On the down side, I DO have a lot of pens... :eek:

OP
ParkersMom

ParkersMom

Jan 18, 2013
Nashville TN
Parrots
i already gave her a pen without the insides...she played with it for about 20 mins...then she got distracted by something shiny...

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
No that doesn't count :) They want the one with the insides

Billy29

Jul 26, 2013
Parrots
Yellow Shouldered Amazon
Quaker parrot
I trust my baby Amazon and I allow him on my shoulder even though some people have warned me not to. I don't think he has a bad bone in his body

Most Reactions

Latest posts