Shower?

SarinaMM

Apr 24, 2017
Does anyone here ever take their conure to the shower with them. I read that they really like rain and water.

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
I don't know how people can shower with their parrots. Those nails! Even clipped, my hair would get in the way... lol! My male cockatiel loves the spray mist bath, while the female doesn't like baths at all, and will only tolerate me spraying her.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Papaya showered with me every morning for 12 years...

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Each Parrot seems to like getting wet differently. Prior to shower your Parrot assure that you first have tried misting over it (up into the air) and letting it fall down upon your parrot. Climbing into a shower for the first time without verification could be upsetting to your Parrot. Also, double check your shower unit to determine if it has a setting that doesn't blast your Parrot off the perch.

My Amazon hates to shower right up to the point he gets even a little wet, then its crazy splash time.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
I'm a night time showerer so I can't shower my ekkie Parker often (shouldn't get them wet at night). On weekends though. During the weekdays I keep a shower rod over my stand up shower and will put him on on the rod while I shower so he at least gets a touch of the humidity.

He will only full on likes to shower if he's on my arm in the water. Then it's wings out. Put him on a perch you'd think I was killing him.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Salty is not much for water. He tolerates a misting type wet down, but shower - mhheee, not so much. Oddly enough he likes both better if you sing to him. My problem with showering with him, is how to control the soap, to make sure he does not get body soap or hair shampoo on him, and that the water is not too hot ( i'm a hoooooot shower kinda guy, even in the summer). None of my parrots have ever been the ;go nuts; type of bird.

happy410

Jul 23, 2015
ALABAMA
Parrots
Happy, DYH Amazon
Tesla, Blue & Gold Macaw
Happy showers with me. I spray her with her mister, then she perches on my finger to go under the shower head. We made the same perch as Flboy. It's great!

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Its not just the water, but the steam. The steam from the showers is actually very good for parrots. It helps with clearing their respiratory system (same as the steam is beneficial for us). But Skittles won't actually shower WITH me. He likes to sit atop the shower rod and play watchbird. Either that or he's a pervert voyeur. lol

Skittles loves to bath in his casserole dish and he'll actually step in one foot first and then splash around and repeat. He doesn't seem to be happy until daddy is as soaked as he is. He splashes water all over my shirt. When he sees me cup my hand with water, he'll hop right in and lean his head down expecting me to cup water over his head. He likes that.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
It's surprising to read all the ways parrots like to get wet.
My amazons like showering with me but differently.
Bingo like it best when I throw water up at him when he is perched on the shower door.

Pacho likes me to hold her on my hand and let the water bounce off my shoulder.

My cockatiel Baby likes to do the cockatiel rain dance (wings fully extended head bowed down and rubs his head on the leading edge of his wing).

Bella in the shower was a disaster the first time. she is now willing to perch on the shower door but does not want to get wet.

I think what SailBoat said is most correct. approach with caution.

texsize

trimblegirls

Dec 30, 2016
Northern CA
Parrots
African Grey: Jasper
Blue and Gold Macaw: Lulu
Eclectus: Pickles
Tillie likes to get under the faucet in the kitchen sink. When I'm washing dishes, she'll come down my shoulder and rest on my hand. When I know she's going to take to bath, I adjust the water so it's not too strong or too hot. I'll cup my hand under the water and let it run. She likes to get in the "little" pool then run under the waterfall. Sometimes, she just likes her head under it. Sometimes, it's her whole body with wings spread. She goes back and forth under the water or dipping in the pool for about 5 minutes. When she's done, she goes back up to my shoulder. At which point, I let her dry off on her cage. :) It's really very cute to watch. If only Jasper liked water.....

Sfsal

Feb 20, 2017
Buddy likes to be sprayed with a misting setting on the water bottle. He also likes getting in a big bowl of water, because he was raised taking a bath in my bowl sink, and he loves the flap around in the water and super soak the bathroom LOL he was never one to take a shower with me because the spray nozzle on the shower comes out to harsh and there's no way to adjust it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scoza

Feb 5, 2017
Australi
Parrots
GCC
Dave my budgie used to love going under the shower. She didnt go directly under but she had a perch and she loved the water bouncing off you over her. Jet my GCC does come under the shower but he loves going under the kitchen tap. I put a cake rack across the top of the sink and he walks on it playing under the tap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snowflake311

Jun 7, 2016
Tahoe
Parrots
Sprinkels, Black capped Conure/
Olaf, male, Budgie/
Sweetpea, female, Budgie/
RIP Kiwi, female, Senegal
Sprinkles LOVE WATER. He loves the shower setting on my Kitchen sink. It is so cute. I tried to get him to come in the shower with me but he is not a fan of the bathroom With time I think he will be happy to come in the shower but it freaked him out at first.

He does love water falling on him.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Amy likes it two ways...in the summer,we go outside,and I put her on her "favorite" branch in one of the shrubs and use a misting bottle. She will start slowly,fluffing up,and shaking her head..then spread her arms as wide as she can,flip her head this way and that,shake her booty,and joyiously yell Amazon gibberish thru two or more bottles worth lol.

In winter or crummy days,its in the shower with me,on her perch stick,where she will hang upside down,arms out wide,etc. Its obvious she loves it.

Beebs...ehhhh..not so much lol. Usually in the kitchen sink where he cant get out. I trickle water onto my hand then drizzle it over him,all the while he complains and tries to get out of the sink.

Smokes..she hated water...period. I ended up putting her in the tub using the shower head and drenching her as she sat there still,arms tight to her body,shaking her head,and glaring at me...if looks could kill I would have died a thousand times by now :rolleyes:.

BUT...as soon as she got to her house, you know the first place she went?? Her water bowl! To jump in a soak herself silly..go figure!

Jim

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Such great (and interesting, and fun) advice/input above!

I wonder if the species' native habitat (land of evolution/origin) offers clues. The Rb (original denizen, of dry, arid, chilly Patagonia) hates heavy or overhead sprays... ONLY wants a shallow wading area... and a lukewarm temperature... not too warm. And of course, he gets what he wants.

He's a very cautious bather... see him test the water?
nqISKJx.png

Most Reactions