Silly Mom, a large container is for babies

trimblegirls

Dec 30, 2016
Northern CA
Parrots
African Grey: Jasper
Blue and Gold Macaw: Lulu
Eclectus: Pickles
I've been remiss about making sure Jasper got his bath. I didn't want to freak him out. The last time we tried I sprayed water over the top of him and it seemed to annoy him. Yesterday, I put a Pyrex 9x13 pan in his cage and splashed around. He came over to it, drank some water, checked out the pan. No bathing. I removed it about an hour later. This morning, he was trying to bathe in his water bowl. His bowl is in the corner of his cage. If he pushed himself straight up the side, he could get a foot in. So, trying to help him out, I put the bigger dish in again. He wasn't interested in it. I misted water over the top of him for 5 minutes or so. He seemed to like it. Tons of water on floor...well everywhere. Figured that would satisfy his urge to bathe. NOPE! He still tried to get in his water dish for a good 5 minutes. It was hilarious watching this big bird try to get in this tiny dish. He could barely get his legs wet.

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Perjo - Female CAG hatch Nov 2015
Perjo loves her baths now, both outdoors and indoors. But she still tends to give me the inpression she's releuctant when I say "time for bath". And yet she still likes to splash around in her water bowl inside the cage as well. She can't get but a 1/3 of herself in there, but she doesn't care, it's fun I guess.

I've tried the shallow Pyrex pan as well, she didn't like it.

If you have a travel cage put Jasper in there, a towel underneath the cage, and mist away. If not try to Jasper on the towel on the ground and mist.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Yep, hang in there.
The Rbird is happiest to bathe in a gigantic shallow WOK. Never liked sprays. I wonder if their preferences might relate to habitats of origin/evolution... like, in arid, dusty Patagonia, there are stsnding bodies of water but very little rain. With denizens of rainier areas, maybe those species like showers beter?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Salty gets a spray bottle bath. He doesnt hate it, but doesnt love it either. But, after he is soaking wet, he still tries to take a bath in his water dish. Its a pretty big one, but like most parrots they are too small for them to take a proper bath in. Sheesh, whats a parront to do?

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
I tried to get my 5 month old Senegal to take his first shower, I figured he would like it better or feel safer if he got in with me. So I put him on the shower perch, which is out of the water but is still exposed to the steam. He loved the steam, he kept shutting his eyes and lifting his foot like he was falling asleep. Then when I was done I put him on my hand and just kind of let the water mist him a bit. Well he apparently didn't like that I woke him up from his steam-nap because he tried to fly back onto the shower perch from my hand, but didn't realize he couldn't fly very well while his wings were wet. He landed in the tub, under the shower...Not a happy bird. He looked so pathetically sad. So now he too tries to fold himself up into his water bowl but only manages to get his feet and legs wet, maybe his little stubby Senegal tail if he bends himself correctly. He absolutely will not get into a bigger bowl or dish. I suppose we'll try the shower perch again, at least he can take a steam!

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Billdore

Nov 12, 2016
Vermont
Parrots
African Grey Timneh
Timneh never touches her bathing dish and always uses her little water dish also. She flaps her wings like crazy against the bars of the cage but doesn't seem to bother her. I have to be careful not to vacuum too late in the evening or Timneh is likely to dive into the water dish.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
The problem with taking parrots into the shower with you is that the temperature most humans like their showers ( hot) is likely too hot for putting the parrot directly into the shower spray. The rare times I take Salty in to the shower, I let him sit on the shower perch, out of the shower stream,let him get some second hand spray ( cooler) and when I am done, change the temperature of the water to just lukewarm or a bit cooler. Take the shower head off the the holder and spray Salty indirectly, bouncing the water off the wall. Salty seems to enjoy this method about as well as he likes getting a spray bottle bath, but he gets a lot wetter from the shower, maybe because he get pre-wetted from the steam and second hand spray? I'd do this method more often, but I take my showers during the week at like 5:00 AM, and he doesn't get up unto 10:00 AM.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Smokey hated her shower..misting or in the shower,she'd pull herself tight and shake her head,glaring at me..soon as she was back in her house,she'd run to her water bowl and jump in :confused:.

Amy goes in the shower with me. I put her on her perch stick and use the shower head. She hangs upside down,arms spread wide,tail out,yelling all sorts of Amazon gibberish. In the summer I take her outside and put her on a tree branch and use a mister...she loves that!

BB jumps in the kitchen sink and I trickle water on him from my fingers,he tolerates that.

Different strokes for different...birds!

Jim

Most Reactions

Latest posts