Sleep in small cage, or main cage?

LoveMyParrots

Dec 29, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Ozzie - alexandrine parakeet
I have Ozzie sleeping in his main cage, I do have anther cage that is made for cockatiel that is avaliable (it is big enough for two alexandrine) but Ozzie can easily chew through that cage so I just leave him in his main cage.

However, having two cages will help with territorial aggression. But Ozzie is not on his cage about 60-80% of the day anyway. He is only in his cage when no one is home and at night, most of the time he is either with someone is the house or is on his play stand. If Poe have sign of cage aggression, then a second cage is ideal.

Zazoothehahns

Apr 5, 2013
Thank you for posting this. I was wondering if I was going overboard getting two cages for our future Hahns macaw. One 48"x48"x24"deep on base for the day(when in a cage) in a family area and a 40"hx24"L x 22"deep that will be in a quiet room of the house for a sleep cage.

jugoya

Mar 7, 2013
Shreveport, La USA
Parrots
Porter (Broto); Fuggles(Budgie)
My bird prefers his sleep cage.

Our house is too busy for him to be in his main cage- Husband works nights and I work days...

Back in the bedroom with the budgies he gets proper sleep. We tried covering his cage but with all the noise.. a sleep cage is a better alternative.

rhiannon_33

Apr 21, 2013
Adelaide
Parrots
Rory ecelectus
Hi there, I am the same i work shift work and sometimes i am out the door at 4am or home at 8-9 at night. My parrot Rory also has outside main cage and small sleep cage where he is covered up. When i work or am out late i leave him outside but i bought him a small wooden box which is where i find him when i get home after dark and he really took to that after a while. When i work mornings my partner usually gets him up after i leave or he lets himself out and is happy just sitting on top of his cage or goes upstairs and hides on the towel rack under the towel. that is just his little routine though.

I find having two cages helps them find a routine. when he id in main cage he knows to eat, play, talk.
when i put him in his bedtime cage he is very territorial, he will allow me to pet him but no one else in there. there is no food only water in that time so he does not snack after dinner.:green1:
highly recommend a bedtime cage

Most Reactions