Sleeping issues?

rosco

May 25, 2012
Is it normal for them to sleep on the side of the cage. Basically my GCC sleeps on the side of the cage using his beak to keep him up. Is this normal? I do have a happy hut and various perches. Also, he never leaves the side where the window is.

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
i have heard its normal, but i also heard it means they're stressed. how long have you had him? as for the window he probably just likes looking outside :)

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
Is it normal for them to sleep on the side of the cage. Basically my GCC sleeps on the side of the cage using his beak to keep him up. Is this normal? I do have a happy hut and various perches. Also, he never leaves the side where the window is.

Yes it is very normal. All my suns & GCC's that don't have a nest box sleep by hanging on the side of the cage. I just throw a towel or small throw rug over the side they sleep & they snuggle into that. Looks so uncomfortable.

I wouldn't say that it's because of stress they just prefer to sleep that way. Each night they climb up into the corner of their cage & snuggle in tight, looks funny. I have 3 GCC's & 5 sun conure's that sleep like that every night.

I wonder if maybe a platform couldn't be attached to your cage would help. I have noticed my aviary birds that don't sleep in their nest box sleep on top of it.

Last edited:

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches

Yes it is very normal. All my suns & GCC's that don't have a nest box sleep by hanging on the side of the cage. I just throw a towel or small throw rug over the side they sleep & they snuggle into that. Looks so uncomfortable.

I wouldn't say that it's because of stress they just prefer to sleep that way. Each night they climb up into the corner of their cage & snuggle in tight, looks funny. I have 3 GCC's & 5 sun conure's that sleep like that every night.

I wonder if maybe a platform couldn't be attached to your cage would help. I have noticed my aviary birds that don't sleep in their nest box sleep on top of it.

that must be so cute to see! i love the way some finches sleep all clumped together :D

OP
R

rosco

May 25, 2012
I just got him yesterday, and i understand that it could be stress. The previous owner is someone who rescues birds, so it is a rescue. I am still trying to get it used to me, he still won't let me put my hand near him unless it has a peanut in it! Won't touch the strawberries i gave him though.....anywho, he just stays on the side of the cage all day even though i have various ladders, branches, shreddable toys, and some other things. maybe he is still just getting use to the move?

Basically im just worried that this is hurting him, staying on the side of the cage all day.

P.S. I leave the door open all day in case he wishes to venture out.

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
In that case he has to get used of his new home. He will need time to adjust. Take your time & let him settle in.

Have you got a lot of toys in his cage, he may not be used to such things, or there could be something he is scared of. Only leave a few toys & things in the cage until he gets used of his new home. You could also try & cover 3/4 of the cage with a sheet & only leave the front uncovered that may give him some feeling of security.

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
Ann I love finches my friends has a habitat full of different birds & it's amazing to watch them. Chatting & being very busy all the time.

OP
R

rosco

May 25, 2012
In that case he has to get used of his new home. He will need time to adjust. Take your time & let him settle in.

Have you got a lot of toys in his cage, he may not be used to such things, or there could be something he is scared of. Only leave a few toys & things in the cage until he gets used of his new home. You could also try & cover 3/4 of the cage with a sheet & only leave the front uncovered that may give him some feeling of security.

ok thank you that makes alot of sense, as far as i know he has not had a very cared for life so to speak. right before me, someone took him who was not patient at all with, he bit the guy, so the he was given back to the rescuer. right now i have two dowel perches, a manzeneta perch, a ladder, a cuttle bone, rope perch, comfy home, shreddable hanging toy and a rubber ball with a whistle in it. The cage is not crowded in any way though.

Most Reactions

Latest posts