Small Mistake with Kiwi

ctwo

May 16, 2019
Parrots
Mango the Indian Ringneck and Peach the Cockatiel; Kiwi found a new home
So a couple of months ago I bought my daughter's budgie a small wooden toy with a bell hanging from the bottom. This is now Kiwi's favorite toy. I see him often holding the bell with one foot and chattering away at it.

Kiwi does not really feel comfortable with me. He will waddle away if I offer him my hand or finger. Fine, he will spend time with my daughter and has been doing so every day on his outside perch in her room.

The other day there, I offered my hand and he again started to retreat. I moved the other direction and rang his bell. That got his attention and he made a couple jumps toward my hand. I was intrigued so I rang his bell some more.

Well, he jumped right onto my hand with a squawk and started mauling my fingers and thumb. A couple times he took hold and really tried to twist those pointy bits into my skin.

I could only chuckle because it tickled a little bit. He jumped back to his perch and gave some comfort back to his bell.

Probably I won't do that again, but I have gotten him to step up a couple times since then, without any drama.

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
Aww, that does not sound like a mistake, it sounds like a little progress towards making friends with him. :)

OP
ctwo

ctwo

May 16, 2019
Parrots
It's been almost a year. What pleases me is my daughter running to me the other day, telling me that Kiwi sat on her should for almost an hour. This morning, she is certain he actually said "Kiwi" !!! and later today, she tells me he flew to her, to peck at her beverage glass that she was holding, twice!

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
It's been almost a year. What pleases me is my daughter running to me the other day, telling me that Kiwi sat on her should for almost an hour. This morning, she is certain he actually said "Kiwi" !!! and later today, she tells me he flew to her, to peck at her beverage glass that she was holding, twice!

Birds don’t measure time the way we do. Sounds like Kiwi is making great progress-on his own schedule!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
ctwo

ctwo

May 16, 2019
Parrots
Time, I think measured only in interactive time. Since we are all ordered to shelter in place, and school is online only, we've all been home every day, all day.

Hopefully, when this passes, there will be no heartbreak. Kiwi will be an "old man" when she goes to college.

Most Reactions