Smell from Essential Oils OK for Birds???

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Zilla 29 Y.O. Orange Wing Amazon
I use an all natural flea treatment on the cats and it's that time again...

Zilla would NEVER be in any contact with the oils, her and the cats are never allowed close to each other, it would never get on her and she doesn't get close enough to groom the cats, but the odor can be pretty strong for a day or two.

It has Tea Tree Oil, Lemon Grass Oil, Peppermint Oil, Clove Oil, Cinnamon Oil, and some other natural oils in it.

I know birds can be sensitive to smells, I just want to make sure it won't hurt her.

Does anyone know if it will be OK for her to smell it? I don't want to lock the cats in the back bedroom if I don't absolutely have to.

Phlox

Jun 16, 2014
I use a flea spray with similar ingredients on my dogs and have for years. I have no science to show you, but my birds have never seemed disturbed when I use it.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
I have never had any need to use essential oils for any reason, however, when I was looking into it, there was always anecdotal information (from the industry & users) professing the benefits/qualities of using essential oils, but could never find any scientific/verifiable studies so have never used anything with essential oils, though my files had the following concerning tea tree oil:

Bird-Safe Homes | Parrot Parrot

Is Teatree oil smell bad for our grey?

Keep Your Pet Safe: Bird Proofing your Home

for birds | DoTerra ? Gift from the Earth

Then, there are these posts from our own forums:

http://www.parrotforums.com/questions-answers/33622-safe-scents-birds.html

http://www.parrotforums.com/questions-answers/16541-tree-safe-list-lilac-tree-ok.html

As many of you know, I'm a firm believer in a person having to make their own decisions about what is best for their animal charges, based on the information they have at their disposal, but if you know of any studies that contravene/dispute the information in the above links, I would greatly appreciate receiving a PM about it, so that I can keep my database current.....

OP
Amanda_Bennett

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Thanks for the information guys.

Looks like I will be trying another approach for the fleas from now on.

My cats are indoor only, but I am the Manager of a "pet friendly" apartment community, so the fleas are outside around the property and do come in on my clothing no matter how careful I am.

And living in the Willamette Valley in Oregon we don't get cold enough for long enough in the winter to kill the fleas so they are HORRENDOUS this year and the flea treatments I usually use are not working this year. The natural treatment I used last month (before I got Zilla) worked, but it does have some oils that are listed as harmful to birds so I can't risk it.

I will do some more research and see if I can find something safe for Zilla and the cats.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Amanda, I've found success with using 5% Sevin dust, you can even use it on & around birds, as well as dogs & cats.....do a forum search for Sevin dust, there's a recent thread I posted to that has a link from a vet about using the dust.....I understand you have a preference to natural solutions, but some of the natural solutions for fleas simply are not as viable as some others.....

Good luck.....

OP
Amanda_Bennett

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Weco, Thanks for all information you provide every time I have a question! You and the others on this forum have been a HUGE help making sure I do the right things for Zilla.

I will be getting some Sevin Dust today. It sounds like my best option since the Frontline and Advantage stopped working this year and I can't use the Tea Tree Oil around Zilla.

I have no choice about having carpet or not having carpet. My preference would be hardwood floors, but since I don't own the place I have to have what the owner wants.

Tosca

Banned
Banned
Jan 26, 2013
Another option for fleas is diatomeous earth, commonly called DE. Also Nematods. I am currently dealing with fleas myself and have been using DE on my pets. If you choose to use this, be sure to get the food grade, not the stuff for pools. Also be careful to not you or your pets inhale the powder because it can irritate the lungs. This is suppose to be a safer alternative compared to using commercial flea meds.

DallyTsuka

Mar 19, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Dallas and Tsukasa (Cockatiels)
Mango and Munchlax (Peach Faced Lovebirds)
There's a facebook group, for people who use essential oils for their birds. Organic essential oils by a certain brand are used and people there use them safely. But they're not to be confused with the oils just for scent say at walmart that are loaded with chemicals. They're the pure oils only and there are certain ways to use the oils as well. Something to consider. It's a relatively new and not so studied thing, so it's at the owners risk. To each their own. Their vets are okay with the treatments with oils, but even they (the owners) say to have some caution if using oils around the birds for the first time because some birds can react badly.

Not promoting or talking down about it, just throwing it out there that there are people who actively use essential oils for birds so it's one of those things.

OP
Amanda_Bennett

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
My Aunt is a dealer for DoTerra Essential Oils and uses them on her Sulfur Crested Cockatoo and says they have done wonders for her.

At least I know now that the oils I had been using were NOT safe for birds and neither was they way I had been using them.

I guess the right oils used in the correct ways have been safe, but the wrong oils used in the wrong ways have been un-safe.

I will be doing some more research and a lot of talking and emailing with my Aunt. I will inform the group if/when I have any more information.

Most Reactions